Less stress Christmas

I get it. Dh and dd basically gave me a list, I fufilled it. They don't want surprises. They know exactly what they're getting. So I honestly don't see the value of wrapping the items. I mean isn't the entire POINT of wrapping something to hide what it is so that the recipient won't know until they unwrap it? Or is there some other point I'm missing?

Hah! My sibs had a way around this. They would put the gift inside another box and put other things in it, so when you shake it had some weight and made noise. We'd get gloves stuffed in an empty oatmeal box, packages with two big ol' nails that would clonk around. Or a calendar wrapped in a whole newspaper, wrapped again in cellophane and then wrapped in Christmas paper. Or a shoe box with Dads' old snowchains and a new watch in it! They were a pretty creative bunch. We could NEVER guess what was in the package!

I was not upset he bought me what I asked for, I didn't say that or imply it. It just kinda sucks I know what they are already and have for about two weeks. It would just be nice if he could surprise me once in a while. If he wrapped the gifts in a manor that I did not instantly know what they were that would be nice. He did the same thing with one of my gifts last year. What is the point of wrapping it and putting it under the tree weeks early if the receiver knows what it is?

Sorry but you are down because of HOW he wrapped the gifts?

I am out of work.. My wife and I are are doing all we can to get a few gifts for our two teenage kids this season.

Guess what. they could CARE less about who it was wrapped or what shape it was in..

You want a surprise?? lose your job and actually be able to give your kids a gift.. That is surprise..

Man get a perceptive on the world today..

Sorry but you are down because of HOW he wrapped the gifts?

I am out of work.. My wife and I are are doing all we can to get a few gifts for our two teenage kids this season.

Guess what. they could CARE less about who it was wrapped or what shape it was in..

You want a surprise?? lose your job and actually be able to give your kids a gift.. That is surprise..

Man get a perceptive on the world today..

Wow. My entire point was that yeah, when I first saw the things I was a little disappointed that I knew exactly what was in them. I quickly realized that is no way to act and I got over it. That is what I said in my very first post on this thread. Maybe I did not say it well enough. I am not sad, mopey, upset or anything else. I was for about 2 minutes until I thought better of it. The Christmas Rant thread is FULL of people complaining about what their husbands and boyfriends get them or don't get them. I am saying I am giving all that up and being happy with what I have and I am still getting criticized.

disneyfan95 - Hang in there and best of luck finding a new job! We have BTDT twice in the last 4 years and it isn't fun.

Wow. My entire point was that yeah, when I first saw the things I was a little disappointed that I knew exactly what was in them. I quickly realized that is no way to act and I got over it. That is what I said in my very first post on this thread. Maybe I did not say it well enough. I am not sad, mopey, upset or anything else. I was for about 2 minutes until I thought better of it. The Christmas Rant thread is FULL of people complaining about what their husbands and boyfriends get them or don't get them. I am saying I am giving all that up and being happy with what I have and I am still getting criticized.

I'm so sorry you are being misunderstood. :hug: I have been lurking this thread, and read all your posts. Totally understand where you are coming from. :thumbsup2

There's been a few times where I 'figured out' what certain gifts under the tree were. And yea, it does take away that surprise element....just happens. It's ok to feel that. I just try to act surprised in front of DH when I open it, as not to ruin it for him! :thumbsup2

I cannot believe some of the responses you've gotten regarding this! :headache: Somebody posting about being jobless and can't afford gifts for their kids....what does that have to do with this??? :confused:

diznee25

powellrj said:
If it were up to me I would have a very stress-free christmas. Problem is, my mom has dementia and is making it very stressful. We just had a disagreement over our family christmas. Last week it was buying a gift for her best friend. Who knows what it will be next week. We make all the plans and she forgets and makes new ones. Its driving me crazy.

We had a family Christmas planned for the 23rd. We had the time, place, food and gifts all planned. She changed her mind and didn't tell me and then went and replanned it and rented a hall that can't be cancelled. I try so hard not to get angry, but she really makes it hard.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum.

My dad developed dementia early - around 52 years of age - and it's always upset me that my children will never have the chance to know the wonderful father he was to me and who he could have been to them but for this horrible illness. He was diagnosed while I was still in hospital after my son was born.

Please keep in mind that it is not your mum's fault for what she is doing, it's the disease.

Take care.

Our kids are older so we are no longer on the hunt for the "It" toy of the year

Thanks all for all the replies. Lots of ideas.
This quote above, I love. I forgot about that. I have absolutely no idea what the current craze is and so happy I'm not running around looking for it.
Was so grateful that none of my kids liked the Cabbage Patch dolls. I did have to hunt and did know all of the characters to HeMan though. I bought the grayskull castle and all that good stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter