Lenses for travel...

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
I recently bought a Sony A100 to start getting back into SLR photography after many years of letting my Minolta collect dust while I used my loely point & shoot digitals, and right now, I'm just playing around with the 18-70 kit lens to get the feel for it.

I am looking ahead to our next big trip, WDW in January, and thinking about what I want to take. I'm picking up a 70-300 lens this week, along with a travel tripod, and using the kids as an excuse to head off to the zoo to try it out. Should those two be okay for most purposes at Disney, or do I need a third lens to handle lower-light situations like inside PotC and during some of the shows? I really don't want to be carrying a ton of gear, since we're likely to be carrying jackets and such as well, but I want to have what I need to get the shots I want. Its a balancing act that I don't quite have the hang of, so I'm asking those of you with more experience at this - What do you take to WDW in your camera bag?

With Sony, I do not believe that you have an inexpensive option for a 50mm wide aperture prime, but if you can find one, they are very useful at WDW. You might be able to find a deal on a used Minolta one. Renting one could be an option. They are small, so bulk is not an issue.

Kevin

I had that same setup with my Nikon D50 last June. Only addition was the 50mm f/1.8 which worked great on the low light rides and is nice for the night parades too.

I don't know Minolta/Sony's lineup, but I would look for a fast prime in the 24-60mm range that is at least f/1.8. Some, though usually more expensive are f/1.4.

I know Sigma makes a bunch including 20, 24, & 28mm f/1.8 and a 30mm f/1.4. I don't know if they make them in the Minolta/Sony mount. Doing a quick search at KEH.com (great used camera online store) they have some used Minolta 50mm f/1.4's under $300. Looks like Minolta also made a 50mm f/1.7 that can be had used for under $100. Though I know NOTHING about these lenses. A bit of research on different photo forums can probably help you there.

Should those two be okay for most purposes at Disney, or do I need a third lens to handle lower-light situations like inside PotC and during some of the shows?
<sarcasm>Heck, don't bother! Just use your flash like all the people smitten by Capt. Jack do when riding on POTC now!</sarcasm>

Based on all the flashes I saw this summer, you'd have thought that a major tropical storm was about to hit Port Royal!!! It was almost funny that you can tell when "Jack" is right around the corner when you suddenly starting seeing all sorts of camera flashes going off a few boats ahead of you. I counted six "flashers" in our boat alone in June!

The CMs even gave up and didn't even try to make any impromptu "Please, no flash photography!" over the ride PA system.

But to answer your question, it all depends on what you can easily carry that'll also keep your equipment safe. Last time I only took my 18-70 lens on my camera in a shoulder soft case plus my fish eye lens in a lens pouch in my fanny pack. If I had safe pace for other lenses, I'd next add a fast prime like my 50 f1.4. Others will disagree, but I rarely feel the urge that I need anything longer than a 70mm at WDW. I'm normally close enough to the subject or shooting landscapes so I don't less having a 200-300 range lens.

Based on all the flashes I saw this summer, you'd have thought that a major tropical storm was about to hit Port Royal!!! It was almost funny that you can tell when "Jack" is right around the corner when you suddenly starting seeing all sorts of camera flashes going off a few boats ahead of you. I counted six "flashers" in our boat alone in June!

The CMs even gave up and didn't even try to make any impromptu "Please, no flash photography!" over the ride PA system.
I've been known to yell out "no flash!" at the offending parties. As long as they're not right next to or behind me. :)

Then there's loudness - our last PotC ride had our boat full of college-age girls who were (mostly) on their first ride and were having a terrific time, but were very loud. I was more amused than annoyed, but if it were my first ride I might have been bothered. One or two took some pics/video with their cell phone but there was no flash so I didn't care. :teeth:

I bought my first DSLR a few months before our September trip and only had the 2 kit lenses, which was fine for me in terms of quality. But like all kit lenses in this class, they aren't speedy. At f5.6 on the long end, I knew I was going to be very frustrated at night and indoors. I added a 30mm f1.4 last minute (it arrived the day before we left) and was so, so happy that I did.

I'm not familiar with the Sony/Minolta lenses, but my recommendation is for a fast prime.

I know Sigma makes a bunch including 20, 24, & 28mm f/1.8 and a 30mm f/1.4. I don't know if they make them in the Minolta/Sony mount. Doing a quick search at KEH.com (great used camera online store) they have some used Minolta 50mm f/1.4's under $300. Looks like Minolta also made a 50mm f/1.7 that can be had used for under $100. Though I know NOTHING about these lenses. A bit of research on different photo forums can probably help you there.

Have you (or anyone else that's willing to share) had good experience with KEH.com? Would you recommend them? I'm thinking about picking up that 50mm f/1.7, since it is so affordable.

Have you (or anyone else that's willing to share) had good experience with KEH.com? Would you recommend them? I'm thinking about picking up that 50mm f/1.7, since it is so affordable.

They are great. I have bought two lenses off them. Be completely sure that you know exactly what you are getting though. Many older lenses are MF and that might not be your style. Also, pay close attention to the lens condition rating from KEH and the description can also give some clues.

The following are from my MF Pentax 50mm f/2

IMGP2661.jpg

IMGP2662.jpg

IMGP2674.jpg

They are not the greatest and the MF was a little frustrating in the low light.

Kevin

They are great. I have bought two lenses off them. Be completely sure that you know exactly what you are getting though. Many older lenses are MF and that might not be your style. Also, pay close attention to the lens condition rating from KEH and the description can also give some clues.

The MF/AF issue is simple enough for the Sony/Minolta lenses - the Minolta Maxxum AF lenses are compatible with the Sony. Not all Minolta MF lenses are (my understanding is that it depends on the date of manufacture, though I could be wrong on that). So rather than try to figure out the MF differences, I'm only looking at Maxxum AF lenses.

Thank you for the input, and the vote of confidence in KEH. I always love when the advice I get is what I want to hear! :rotfl: I'm probably going to give it until tomorrow to look around at more reviews and think it over, and then I'll order the lens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter