Lens Question

ilovepete

DIS Veteran
I recently bought a Pentax K-r that is on its way. I am a total DSLR newbie and have no idea what I am doing. I've read a lot and done some research though and I think I, for now, would really like having just one single lens on my camera for days out and things where I don't want to carry a ton of stuff with me.

Can anyone give me an opinion on if this would be good for that?
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306608525&sr=1-1

It seems to have OK reviews. I really have NO clue when it comes to lenses (and until recently had no clue when it came to cameras either but I think I've learned some in the past week or so... SOME... not everything. :) ) . Anyway any input would be appreciate. Keep in mind I want something fairly easy, "all in one" until I learn what I'm doing and learn how to take pictures. It will probably be on auto a lot to start with but I would ultimately learn how to take pics in manual mode as well. Eventually I think I will also probably get more lenses, but for now I am just looking for one that I can leave on there all day and not have to switch around.

Thank you! :flower3:

While not Pentax, I have a friend with a Canon 60D that uses the Canon 18-200. While the images are not quite as good as some of the higher end lenses with less zoom range, the convenience is nice and the images are still pretty good. In fact for web use and small print sizes you probably can't tell the difference.

Hopefully someone that has the Tamron version can chime in, but for something like Disney an 18-200 would be ideal. I did find myself changing lenses a lot during our recent trip I prefer having the right lens for the job and the 18-200 is a little slow on the telephoto end (f/5.6) ...

While the Tamron is rated okay and will do the job in the right conditions, I would look at Pentax' 18-135. While it isn't quite as long as the Tamron, it has better ratings. Its one of the latest lens offerings by Pentax. Its a good lens for WDW. There are occasions for the longer reach but if you have a sharper lens, you can easily crop. It is about $70 more, but in IMO a better lens than the Tamron. I do use mostly third party lenses on my Pentax, so I'm not stuck on OEM lenses. If I didn't already have f2.8 lenses from 28-200mm focal lengths and f4 100-300 (all Sigma), I would really take a good look at this lens.

Thank you! I appreciate your input. I am so clueless about this stuff but I want to get off to a good start. I guess I've figured out the term for what I am looking for is "walk around lens" (?).

This is not what you are looking for here, but it is a good deal that I wanted to pass on to you. Amazon has the DA 35mm f/2.4 AL for $183. I have had it for a couple months now and I really like it. The kit lens is f/4.5 at 35mm, so it is significantly faster than it. It is also a very sharp lens even wide open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter