LegoLand or Knotts Berry Farm??

piglet33

DIS Veteran
We are going to California in August, but will be only be there for 3 days before our Disney Cruise. One day we're going to DL and the other is a toss up between LegoLand and Knotts Berry Farm. It will be me and DH and our almost 3 year old DD (she'll turn 3 in November). Which one would you go to?

thanks for all responses.

Reneé

I love Knotts Berry Farm, but with such a little one, you'd be better off at Legoland. Knott's has a lot more thrill rides that she wouldn't be able to go on.

I agree...Knotts is "better", but for a 3 year old there is much more to do at legoland.

We're thinking of doing Legoland in August, but DD will be almost 10. We all love Lego sculptures but from reading stuff online it seems like the park is geared toward younger kids. What do you think?

Another vote for Legoland. My daughter loved it as a four year old but it kind of lost its excitement after she was five. A three year old would love it and if you go on a weekday, it is alot less crowded and manageable. There are open spaces to run around and is almost parklike. If your are used to the efficiency of Disneyland, you will be dissapointed because it is not managed as efficient. Sometimes it feels as though it takes alot longer to get onto an attraction because the person taking care of the front of the line is not managing it too well.

disneysteve said:
We're thinking of doing Legoland in August, but DD will be almost 10. We all love Lego sculptures but from reading stuff online it seems like the park is geared toward younger kids. What do you think?

If you don't mind pretty tame rides and love Lego sculptures, you and your DD should still enjoy Legoland at this age. I think it's quite worthy of a trip, but you are probably running out of time with your DD so I'd suggest you go for it in August before she gets too old for it.

I also agree with the others that Legoland is a much better choice for a 3 year old.

My dh took his kids at age 5 and 6 before we were married to Legoland and they loved it! We went again during our CA visit a few weeks ago with both of his kids (now age 10 and 11) and our son who is almost 2.

The first visit, the kids did have a better time, but there is still alot for them to do. They had opened new rides that appealed to older kids since then and sd (11) loves the legos for girls (click its?) and ss (10) like the bionicles, so they both found things and attractions they liked. My ds (not quite 2) could have spent all day at the play area.

So without knowing much about Knotts, I vote for Legoland.

AngieWin said:
They had opened new rides that appealed to older kids since then and sd (11) loves the legos for girls (click its?) and ss (10) like the bionicles, so they both found things and attractions they liked.
This is perfect. My DD is into both Click-its AND Bionicles. I think we'll keep Legoland on our itinerary and budget a little extra for shopping while there. I have a feeling it will cost me - LOL.

Well, it looks like it's Legoland!!!! I'll be buying the tickets from costco.com because they're only $34.99 for adults and $29.99 for children 3-12.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Reneé

Oh, one more thing. We're staying at the San Pedro Holiday Inn since it's close to the port. How long do you think it will take to get to LegoLand? Mapquest says it's 88 miles and 1 hour and 23 minutes. I know there can be a lot of traffic in CA, so the 1 hour and 20 minutes can turn into a lot longer. We'll be going there on a Thursday, if this helps.

Thanks Again!

I can't help with how long it will take to get there...but budget in some extra time if you are trying to get there at opening as that will be rush hour.

I did want to say to make sure you get some Granny Smith Fries in the castle area. These are the BEST! They are like french fries but made with granny smith apples and come with vanilla whipped cream for dipping. They are incredibly yummy!

I think of Legoland as totally different than Disneyland or Knotts. When we go there, it is not about thrilling rides, but about looking around at things, even on the rides. There are lots of things that littler kids think are cool, like the marina where they can drive their own boat or the the driving area where they can drive a car. And the lego sculptures are simply amazing to see. There are lots of rides that take you around to look at them, a fairytale one, a boat one that looks at some huge ones like the Taj Mahal, etc, and a safari one to see some african animals. A three year old will really like this park.

Have a great time!

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter