legal drinking age

hello, original poster here. just asking a simple question, did not mean to start a big debate:lmao: got the answer i was looking for. thanks all. lets move on to the more inportant threads like tipping or smoking on board:rotfl2: . kidding
thanks again

hello, original poster here. just asking a simple question, did not mean to start a big debate:lmao: got the answer i was looking for. thanks all. lets move on to the more inportant threads like tipping or smoking on board:rotfl2: . kidding
thanks again

Well, you asked one of the most "heated" questions. I know you didn't know. It always goes in this direction: Someone asking a simple question, it politely answered, then the we start seeing the posts about being 18/going to war/smoking/politicians etc...

Yada Yada Yada...

Now let's bring on smoking on the decks and asking for compensation for bad service:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

:yay:
Well, you asked one of the most "heated" questions. I know you didn't know. It always goes in this direction: Someone asking a simple question, it politely answered, then the we start seeing the posts about being 18/going to war/smoking/politicians etc...

Yada Yada Yada...

Now let's bring on smoking on the decks and asking for compensation for bad service:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

they are my favorite thread topics. they really get heated and debated.:teacher: love it, love it, love it:cool1:
people get right mean, although not in a bad way if you know what i mean. think i'll go hunt me some down now. see ya!

Yada Yada Yada...

:lmao:

I guess debate about hand guns would be a bad idea?

Just joking. Didn't realize my little comment on the comparing what you can do at 18, but can't until your 21, would set off such an interesting exchange of ideas.

We're all here to enjoy Disney and what it has to offer but I don't think when someone introduces something a little controversial that it should be smothered.

I would love to live in the US and enjoy all you folks down south.

Even though I can, I am not planning to drink alcohol on our cruise. So if we get complimentary wine one evening I'll be happy to pass it on.

Even though I can, I am not planning to drink alcohol on our cruise. So if we get complimentary wine one evening I'll be happy to pass it on.[/QUOTE]

ohhhh! pick me! i'll be the table to your left.:thumbsup2 yeah, i'm old enough (and then lots).:lmao:

Drinking age is 18 on U.S. military bases with active duty military I.D.

Drinking age is not strictly enforced on Magic. Some servers and bartenders will serve 18+.

I find it odd that an 18 year old US citizen can enlist go to Iraq (possibly be wounded or die), vote, drive, marry, buy a gun but not have a Miller Lite.

It was changed years ago---

Though I saw an article recently claiming it to have been as effective as prohibition. (theory is that raising the age was a safety issue).

There is a movement out there to change the age.

ohhhh! pick me! i'll be the table to your left.:thumbsup2 yeah, i'm old enough (and then lots).:lmao:

I will need 2 forms of Photo ID. A valid passport and your Blockbuster card before passing the wine.

It was changed years ago---

Though I saw an article recently claiming it to have been as effective as prohibition. (theory is that raising the age was a safety issue).

There is a movement out there to change the age.

Lisa

What was changed years ago? Most US states I've visited have a 21 year old limit on alcohol. I don't think the movement to lower the drinking age will be too successful. It is a political hot button that most politicians won't push.

I notice though someone posted that with an active military ID they will serve you on bases if you are 18+.

I will need 2 forms of Photo ID. A valid passport and your Blockbuster card before passing the wine.

you can also have my first born. oh, and maybe my second. and could you take my hsuband. oh wait, the mil. gee, this is just a never ending game!:rotfl2:

Drinking age is 18 on U.S. military bases with active duty military I.D.

Drinking age is not strictly enforced on Magic. Some servers and bartenders will serve 18+.

The minimum drinking age on a U.S. Military base in the U.S. is 21 except for bases within 50 miles of Canada or Mexico, where it is 18.

Here is the law.

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART IV > CHAPTER 159 > § 2683Prev | Next § 2683. Relinquishment of legislative jurisdiction; minimum drinking age on military installations
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary concerned may, whenever he considers it desirable, relinquish to a State, or to a Commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States, all or part of the legislative jurisdiction of the United States over lands or interests under his control in that State, Commonwealth, territory, or possession. Relinquishment of legislative jurisdiction under this section may be accomplished
(1) by filing with the Governor (or, if none exists, with the chief executive officer) of the State, Commonwealth, territory, or possession concerned a notice of relinquishment to take effect upon acceptance thereof, or
(2) as the laws of the State, Commonwealth, territory, or possession may otherwise provide.
(b) The authority granted by subsection (a) is in addition to and not instead of that granted by any other provision of law.
(c)
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), the Secretary concerned shall establish and enforce as the minimum drinking age on a military installation located in a State the age established by the law of that State as the State minimum drinking age.
(2)
(A) In the case of a military installation located—
(i) in more than one State; or
(ii) in one State but within 50 miles of another State or Mexico or Canada,
the Secretary concerned may establish and enforce as the minimum drinking age on that military installation the lowest applicable age.
(B) In subparagraph (A), the term “lowest applicable age” means the lowest minimum drinking age established by the law—
(i) of a State in which a military installation is located; or
(ii) of a State or jurisdiction of Mexico or Canada that is within 50 miles of such military installation.
(3)
(A) The commanding officer of a military installation may waive the requirement of paragraph (1) if such commanding officer determines that the exemption is justified by special circumstances.
(B) The Secretary of Defense shall define by regulations what constitute special circumstances for the purposes of this paragraph.
(4) In this subsection:
(A) The term “State” includes the District of Columbia.
(B) The term “minimum drinking age” means the minimum age or ages established for persons who may purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages.

Lisa was referring to the Military post + ID = 18 part, I believe...

Lisa

What was changed years ago? Most US states I've visited have a 21 year old limit on alcohol. I don't think the movement to lower the drinking age will be too successful. It is a political hot button that most politicians won't push.

I notice though someone posted that with an active military ID they will serve you on bases if you are 18+.

changed from 18 to 21 (someone posted 1984 is when that happened--hence "years go" "many moons ago" "long time ago" or any other phrase indictating a long passage of time since).

As far as active duty--well, whenever I have been in any club (Where I was permitted to be)--signs were quite clearly posted on base that you had to be 21 to imbibe. (these bases were more than 50 miles from the border of Mexico and Canada).

the article I read was actually quite interesting on the matter and the tie in to prohibition was fascinating. Not saying that I agree with it or not--but they do have a point that in places like college campuses/towns---there is quite a bit of underground drinking going on and the law doesn't alleviate that from occurring.

The minimum drinking age on a U.S. Military base in the U.S. is 21 except for bases within 50 miles of Canada or Mexico, where it is 18.

And in the USMC
"Corps lowers drinking age to 18 in some cases"
Leading the way
But the commandant’s changes go further than any other service’s policy, decriminalizing welcome-home beer for underage Marines returning from deployment and giving commanders the authority to hold an 18-and-up kegger on base upon a unit’s return from a war zone.

And there’s no need to hide a flask in your sock before the birthday ball, because the commandant has you covered there, too. As long as your unit holds its celebration on base, commanders can drop the drinking age to 18 in the U.S. under “special circumstances,” and even authorize the possession and consumption of alcohol by underage Marines in the barracks.

The new policy defines these circumstances as “those infrequent, non-routine military occasions when an entire unit, as a group, marks at a military installation a uniquely military occasion, such as the conclusion of arduous military duty or the anniversary of the establishment of a military service or organization.”

Though the policy opens the door for Marine commanders to lower the drinking age on any service’s birthday, as well as the day their unit was formed, it applies only if the unit function is held on base, and commanders must “ensure that appropriate controls are in place to prevent endangering military service members or the surrounding community,” the message states.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/05/marine_alcohol_070511/

oh I wish I had to worry about this...to be ID'd again...too much of an old bag for anyone to think I am close to 21;) Har Har

Inga

oh I wish I had to worry about this...to be ID'd again...too much of an old bag for anyone to think I am close to 21;) Har Har

Inga

I got carded for the first time when I was 48!!!!! It was a beer booth run by a charity group, and to avoid any underage issues with the state, they carded EVERYONE.....so my gray beard did not deter them from asking.

I stand corrected on the military, now if we can just get the Magic and Wonder declared military bases, and everyone on board temporary members of the service, then those 18 to 21 can drink on board.

Back to the question of drinking when you are under 21 on DCL....I have never seen anyone carded on DCL and in my experience, no one in my group has ever carried ID around. Is your age on your KTTW if you are under 21???
I am WAY over 21, but this topic caught my eye. I dont every carry a wallet or purse onboard and dont see many people who do, so how do they card you at the bar???
Just curious!:goodvibes

Back to the question of drinking when you are under 21 on DCL....I have never seen anyone carded on DCL and in my experience, no one in my group has ever carried ID around. Is your age on your KTTW if you are under 21???
I am WAY over 21, but this topic caught my eye. I dont every carry a wallet or purse onboard and dont see many people who do, so how do they card you at the bar???

It is in the system so if you try to buy an alcoholic drink on your KTTW card and are under 21, the computer will flag it. But as in any situation, someone else could buy you the drink and give it to you.

Yes, they can and do card on DCL....I have seen them. I have seen them card at the bars by the pool and in the clubs on Deck 3...granted it does not happen every time...but if they doubt your age they will ID you (it is not unheard of for a younger person to borrow and older persons KTTW when they go to the bar) so a form of picture id will be asked for.

And yes, your age is embedded on your KTTW but as I said....people will take an older persons KTTW card to the bar and order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter