legal drinking age

Its a strictly enforced 21 ON the ship as well (despite being in international waters). I think most ports (except Castaway Cay) she'll be able to drink OFF the ship.

Its a strictly enforced 21 ON the ship as well (despite being in international waters). I think most ports (except Castaway Cay) she'll be able to drink OFF the ship.

I find it odd that an 18 year old US citizen can enlist go to Iraq (possibly be wounded or die), vote, drive, marry, buy a gun but not have a Miller Lite.

I find it odd that an 18 year old US citizen can enlist go to Iraq (possibly be wounded or die), vote, drive, marry, buy a gun but not have a Miller Lite.

Can't legally smoke either. I remember when the drinking age was lowered to 18 back in the 70's. And I also remember the kids that would legally come to class with a hangover...me being one of them them. :rolleyes:

That is such a good point, on the other hand so many high school seniors are 18 and it isn't appropriate for them to be legally drinking and possibly providing to their underage friends.

I would agree, but the Disboards isn't the place to change the U.S. drinking age. If you care enough, write your Senators and Reps and uncouple highway funding from state drinking age.

The United States is unique in setting the age for drinking alcohol at 21. The most common drinking age worldwide is 18, but many countries in Western Europe have set the age at 16. The following article contains a table with the drinking age in many other countries: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Disney Cruise Line has set their drinking age at 21. DCL could have set the age in international waters lower. For example, Royal Caribbean, on all cruises, used to serve alcohol to 18- to 20-year-olds if a parent (on the cruise) signed a waiver; but now they only do so for cruises sailing from European and South American countries.

It makes sense that Disney has aligned their drinking age with the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. It's consistent with what Americans expect.

Whether the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 makes sense is a separate issue.

I would agree, but the Disboards isn't the place to change the U.S. drinking age. If you care enough, write your Senators and Reps and uncouple highway funding from state drinking age.

Why isn't the Disboards the place to talk about it?

Perhaps not DISboards as much as this particular message base. Some would say that it would not be on topic. Move the message to another area and it would probably get a lot of attention.

Back to the topic, I find it strange that on DCL, and most other lines, they hold the legal right to drink according to the age of the person on the day of boarding. So, if someone were going on a cruise and would turn 21 the first full day into the cruise, they would not be allowed to purchase alcohol because they were 20 when they boarded.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I guess it is the way most lines set up their computerized information on guests.

Then again, it doesn't matter much to me either since the strongest drink that I choose to imbibe is Diet Pepsi! :)

Wow. I didn't know you folks we so sensitive about the drinking age.

For the record I do not consume alcohol.

I though the USA was all about free speech etc.......

I didn't say it wasn't the place to talk about it, I said its not the place to change it.

You can talk about it here (though it isn't terribly on topic), but its a little useless except for entertainment purposes. If you really believe it to be unfair, do something about it.

I didn't say it wasn't the place to talk about it, I said its not the place to change it.

You can talk about it here (though it isn't terribly on topic), but its a little useless except for entertainment purposes. If you really believe it to be unfair, do something about it.

All I was trying to point out is how you can die for your country yet your country won't let you have a drink.

Since I'm not from the US I doubt your elected officials would listen.

All I was trying to point out is how you can die for your country yet your country won't let you have a drink.

Since I'm not from the US I doubt your elected officials would listen.

For what it's worth, public pressure (Mothers Against Drunk Driving in large part) are responsible for the raising of the drinking age. So, can't blame the elected officials for this, it's what the people want.

I agree - but until the 18-21 year olds figure out that they are a *voting* constituency and start putting pressure on the congress critters themselves, it's probably not going to change in the near future!

The irony is that the last time it went down (70s-80s) a major reason behind it was all of the not-yet 21 year old VietNam vets were figuring out that they had a voice with their votes!

Who knows? Maybe after these current wars are done, that will happen again...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter