Lazy Eye and Autism

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
Last year a babysitter suspected that our DD might have a lazy eye. I made an appointment with a pediatric opthomologist and then DH got seriously ill with a staph infection and had to be hospitalized on and off for almost 3 months. DD's appointment was canceled. I never rescheduled because I never saw signs of the lazy eye. Until last week. She was looking over my shoulder at something on the wall. One eye was looking at the object the other eye moved towards her nose. Needless to say I made her another appointment and we are going this Thursday.

DD is non-verbal and will not follow directions (eye chart) so I am unsure how the doctor is going to examine her eyes. The paperwork states to allow at least 3 hours for the appointment and that her eyes will be diated for an examination. This is going to be a nightmare. Does anyone have experience with eye exams and/or lazy eye and autism? DD is 4 years old.

i'm not sure about autism, sorry; but I was born cross-eyed and had corrective eye surgery as an infant. Needless to say I was overly sensitive abuot my DDs and took DD #2 to a ped opthomologist when I thought her eye was drifting, she was an infant and they were able to complete an exam on her. Good luck --

My neighbor's child is 17 months old. His eye drifts and he is farsighted. I asked his mother how they fit him for glasses and she said they scan the eyes with equipment and get a prescription that is quite accurate without the child having to communicate. My daughter is autistic, too, and I know she would not like the process of getting her eyes dilated!!!

When I had my daughter tested it was caught by her pre-k teacher. It ended up only being the bridge of her nose was flater on one side than the other. Below is the only test they did on my daughter. This might also be because the eye doctor came to the school and did it.

Hirschberg Test: This is a simple test to assess ocular misalignment, which is especially useful for patients who are unable to cooperate or who have poor fixation. The examiner shines a light at the patient and examines the reflection of light from the cornea, known as the corneal light reflex. Normally, the corneal light reflex is just slightly nasal to the center of each cornea. If the corneal light reflex is positioned lateral to center, that eye is deviated nasally (esotropia). If the corneal light reflex is positioned nasal to center, that eye is deviated laterally (exotropia). The approximate angle of deviation may be estimated based on simple nomograms.

I'm not positive but I think this is the easiest and least evasive of the test. I am assuming that if they fail this test, they go onto the next level. Like I said, I am assuming this.

Last year a babysitter suspected that our DD might have a lazy eye. I made an appointment with a pediatric opthomologist and then DH got seriously ill with a staph infection and had to be hospitalized on and off for almost 3 months. DD's appointment was canceled. I never rescheduled because I never saw signs of the lazy eye. Until last week. She was looking over my shoulder at something on the wall. One eye was looking at the object the other eye moved towards her nose. Needless to say I made her another appointment and we are going this Thursday.

DD is non-verbal and will not follow directions (eye chart) so I am unsure how the doctor is going to examine her eyes. The paperwork states to allow at least 3 hours for the appointment and that her eyes will be diated for an examination. This is going to be a nightmare. Does anyone have experience with eye exams and/or lazy eye and autism? DD is 4 years old.

DD8 has aspergers, and a lazy eye, among other things. :eek: I went to a pediatric eye dr. when she was 1 1/2 and again several more times. She was distraught when they had to be dilated. :headache: I found another pediatric eye dr. that was great with DD. Instead of an eye chart she had little animals popping up on the wall (hard to describe as it was several years ago). This had her wanting to look and the dr. was able to perform her tests. We chose not to go with surgery and instead found a vision therapist to strengthen her eye muscles. It has helped a great deal.:goodvibes

Hope that helps.... feel free to PM if you need more details...

Robin

I worry that the doctor will want to try eye patches or glasses on her. I know with her sensory issues that will be nearly impossible. But surgery scares me too! I hope there are other options if she indeed has a lazy eye. Thanks everyone for your responses!

:goodvibes :goodvibes
I worry that the doctor will want to try eye patches or glasses on her. I know with her sensory issues that will be nearly impossible. But surgery scares me too! I hope there are other options if she indeed has a lazy eye. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Hi Again!

My DD also has sensory problems, along with her autism and ocd's. Patches did bother her, so we used them sparingly. We also bought types of "pretty patches that fit over the glasses, instead of the eye, so that she wouldn't feel it. Vision therapy helped alot, and maybe won't bother her sensory problems. If you need a couple of sites we used to find good doctors let me know, and I'll try to locate them . They were under my fav's... but I think I have 1000's of favs by now! :rolleyes1 lol. Good luck in whatever way you choose! :goodvibes

Well the appointment is over and it was a struggle! She kicked, cried, you name it. She did have to have her eyes dialated. The diagnosis is Strabismus in her left eye also known as lazy eye. DD's is interminent so the doctor wants us to wait 4 months and see if it gets worse. If it stays the same or gets better then she will eventually grow out of it and no treatment will be necessary. If it does get worse then she will have surgery to shorten the eye muscles to correct it. It is an outpaitient surgery.

Thank you everyone for your advice!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts