Lawyer for a speeding ticket? Update pg 2

You can do an online traffic class. Cost about $30 and that will keep the points off as well. Much cheaper than the lawyer.
Not in our state. You can do a class to keep your record clean, but in addition to that you have to pay the ticket.

We got a speeding ticket in NC that we couldn't just pay...it said we had to appear in court on a Wednesday. We live in NY. "Luckily" when we got home from our vacation, we had a ton of mail from lawyers who would be willing to represent us in court on this matter. DH spoke to someone down there and they said the only way to handle the ticket was for him to be there (he was driving) or to have a lawyer represent him. Since that was less expensive then taking 2-3 days off work to be there, that was what we did. The ticket was dismissed (which DH was told would never happen) but we had to pay the lawyer around $450. It was such a racket.

In Virginia, it is recommended you get a lawyer for anything that is 20 mph over the speed limit or if you are going 80 mph (whether or not it is 20 mph over). It is an automatic "reckless" driving charge. My son got one last summer coming home from school (doing 82 in a 70 mph to pass two big trucks). Because he is young, we got a lawyer. It was $700 and well worth it. It was all reduced down to "improper equipment."

In Virginia, otherwise, it is not worth it for a regular speeding ticket. But this varies state to state.

It's been a while, but here in NJ, you go to court, they will ask if anyone wants to plead for a lesser charge to the prosecutor, you usually get a bigger fibe, but fewer or no points. Insurance rates are high here, and points can end up costing thousands of dollars.

You know that's really not true at all. In fact some states (CA being one of them) mandates DL's being run every so often-I think the last insurance company I worked for it was every other renewal it was run if on a 6 month policy (though that could be how the insurance company is filed through the DOI). It does cost more to do it for the insurance company so it's not done as a norm for most states and most companies but don't be tricked into thinking the only time your insurance company will run your DL is only when switching. I know the last insurance company I worked for one year they ran a huge amount of renewals in the state of MO and I believe it was OH or IN one year and another year they did another. They used an algorithm so no 100% of people's DLs were run but a large amount..and yes they did certaintly find some speeding or other citations that affected the rate (not all citations will affect your rate). All depends on how companies are filed through the DOI as well as each state's DOI.

I'm in California too. Insurance runs our driving record every 6 months. I've been with the same insurance company 44 years, so no change in companies.
Reason I found out, someone else's conviction got put on MY driving record by Beverly Hills Court. My insurance skyrocketed. I called the agent, and he said it was because I had a ticket for running a red light in Beverly Hills. I contacted DMV who said I had to contact that court. I contacted that court, they sent me a copy of the ticket. It was issued to a guy with the same first and last name, different middle name, and a NEW YORK driver's license. He ran a red light in his rented Rolls Royce. It took 6 months, and a lot of mail back and forth with the court to get that off my record. My insurance refunded the premium hike when it was resolved.

I'm in California too. Insurance runs our driving record every 6 months. I've been with the same insurance company 44 years, so no change in companies.
Reason I found out, someone else's conviction got put on MY driving record by Beverly Hills Court. My insurance skyrocketed. I called the agent, and he said it was because I had a ticket for running a red light in Beverly Hills. I contacted DMV who said I had to contact that court. I contacted that court, they sent me a copy of the ticket. It was issued to a guy with the same first and last name, different middle name, and a NEW YORK driver's license. He ran a red light in his rented Rolls Royce. It took 6 months, and a lot of mail back and forth with the court to get that off my record. My insurance refunded the premium hike when it was resolved.
Yikes that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Glad you got the premium corrected and was refunded the difference. I'd be mad especially having to go back and forth trying to get it corrected.

We got a speeding ticket in NC that we couldn't just pay...it said we had to appear in court on a Wednesday. We live in NY. "Luckily" when we got home from our vacation, we had a ton of mail from lawyers who would be willing to represent us in court on this matter. DH spoke to someone down there and they said the only way to handle the ticket was for him to be there (he was driving) or to have a lawyer represent him. Since that was less expensive then taking 2-3 days off work to be there, that was what we did. The ticket was dismissed (which DH was told would never happen) but we had to pay the lawyer around $450. It was such a racket.

In Virginia, it is recommended you get a lawyer for anything that is 20 mph over the speed limit or if you are going 80 mph (whether or not it is 20 mph over). It is an automatic "reckless" driving charge. My son got one last summer coming home from school (doing 82 in a 70 mph to pass two big trucks). Because he is young, we got a lawyer. It was $700 and well worth it. It was all reduced down to "improper equipment."

In Virginia, otherwise, it is not worth it for a regular speeding ticket. But this varies state to state.
Wow, DS only had to pay the lawyer here (in South Florida) $69 to get his dismissed. This was a couple years ago.

Wow, DS only had to pay the lawyer here (in South Florida) $69 to get his dismissed. This was a couple years ago.

It's the whole cost of living thing I guess. My son's attorney was even in a smaller Virginia town. Had we had to hire one where we live, near DC, it would have been closer to $1000.00

It's the whole cost of living thing I guess. My son's attorney was even in a smaller Virginia town. Had we had to hire one where we live, near DC, it would have been closer to $1000.00
I'm guessing it's an over saturation of attorneys here. It's definitely not a low cost of living situation. I wish it was.

We called a local lawyer and he will most likely get the ticket dismissed. Yes it is costing more than just the price of the ticket but we won't take the hit to our insurance and ds won't have points on his license.

Before this weekend I had no idea you could do this. The lawyer I spoke with told me he spends everyday in traffic court for his clients. Obviously for more than just speeding tickets, but he must make a good living.

The more you know....

You can do an online traffic class. Cost about $30 and that will keep the points off as well. Much cheaper than the lawyer.

Online classes are not accepted in all states.
Georgia does not accept online classes.

You can take a 6 hour ($95) class that can:
Possibly reduce up to 7 points that are already on your record (you can only do this once every 5 years)
Possibly lower your insurance liability premium by 10% (if you have a clean driving record for the past 3 years)
Possibly re-instate a suspended license (and pay whatever re instatement fee required)
Possibly reduce a fine and/or reduce speed so no points are added, ticket not turned in to state so you won't get any points (this one is entirely up to the court & they do check your driving record)

No lawyer needed for that advice

Do you need to find a local lawyer? My DD received a speeding ticket in Arkansas on her way to school in Mississippi. We are from Illinois and would love to get this so it doesn't show on her record.

Do you need to find a local lawyer? My DD received a speeding ticket in Arkansas on her way to school in Mississippi. We are from Illinois and would love to get this so it doesn't show on her record.

The lawyer we found spends all day at the local courthouse so yes I would find someone local. We got a random letter in the mail and then I did a search online for traffic lawyers. The money spent was worth it. The ticket was dismissed, he paid court costs and a lawyer fee and has to do an online class. BUT no points on his license and no record. Good luck.

The lawyer we found spends all day at the local courthouse so yes I would find someone local. We got a random letter in the mail and then I did a search online for traffic lawyers. The money spent was worth it. The ticket was dismissed, he paid court costs and a lawyer fee and has to do an online class. BUT no points on his license and no record. Good luck.
Wish I knew you could do that, we were at a walmart and it was raining and I had a hard time walking so dh went and got the car and did not realize it was a red zone and then the cop pointed it out and gave us a ticket and I asked why those people down at the next door was allowed, she gave them permission to load the furniture they bought....

Wish I knew you could do that, we were at a walmart and it was raining and I had a hard time walking so dh went and got the car and did not realize it was a red zone and then the cop pointed it out and gave us a ticket and I asked why those people down at the next door was allowed, she gave them permission to load the furniture they bought....

Before going to the effort of getting a lawyer for this, call the police station and find out if this is a ticket that puts points on your license. Most non-moving violations (parking infractions) don't get points or raise insurance rates. My speeding tickets are actually pled down to non-moving violations when I use a lawyer. So the cheapest thing might be to just pay this ticket.

Before going to the effort of getting a lawyer for this, call the police station and find out if this is a ticket that puts points on your license. Most non-moving violations (parking infractions) don't get points or raise insurance rates. My speeding tickets are actually pled down to non-moving violations when I use a lawyer. So the cheapest thing might be to just pay this ticket.
No it did not hit our insurance. I did pay it. It just infuriated me that it was ok for them to get the outdoor furniture but i could not get my groceries as I could not walk back to the car. Thanks for making me aware of the insurance thing though.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter