Lauren & Chris's Feb. 2018 Wishes Wedding - 7/14 Update Outfit Inspirations, Invites, Hair & Makeup!

Discussion in 'Planning our Happily Ever After' started by Gondingl, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Gondingl

Gondingl All you need is Pixie Dust

Ya'all... I'm finally a Disney bride!! :) To say I've been a lurker of the Disney wedding and planning boards is an understatement. Before I get all excited and rambling, let me introduce ourselves.

Hi! I'm Lauren (the lurker) now Disney bride-to-be! I'm 33, a TA, loves all things Disney. Favorite Disney character: Lady.

My DF: Chris, 32, works for the government, loves all things Star Wars and sports. Favorite 'Disney' character: Darth Vader. Real Disney character: Donald Duck.:donald:
    IMG_8353.jpg
    This is our little girl, Sophie Bean. We are very proud pet-parents - even if she does bark awkwardly at every dog she sees! :crazy2: She was diagnosed CHF last year, so unfortunately our time with her is limited (note to self: try not to cry while typing this).
    IMG_8658.jpg

Our Wedding Details:
    Date: Feb 17, 2018
    Ceremony Location: Sea Breeze Point
    Reception: Atlantic Dance Hall
    Dessert Party (shush it is a surprise!): Eau de Paris

As I mentioned in my title, we are having a Wishes Wedding in February 2018! February 17th to be exact. We just got engaged on June 12th (more on that later!) so it has been a little bit of a whirlwind to say the least. Well I say we are having a Wishes wedding, I'm actually still waiting for our Letter of Agreement, penned in dates/times/locations. Supposed to be getting this on Friday since my sales consultant is out of town until tomorrow. I am trying to be patient, I am....

While I wait for that, I ordered our Save the Dates (hope nothing changes!), ordered our return stamp - it is adorable!, I've picked out our wedding invites (not ordered) and I think that is it.

So up next: Our Engagement Story!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    MermaidFantasia likes this.
  2. Gondingl

Our Engagement Story.

Longstory, shortened: we got in engaged in Disneyland and it was beyond magical!

Long story: I have always, always wanted to go to Disneyland. I've never been and it killed me knowing that I've never been to Walt's park. So when Chris suggested we go for my birthday weekend back in April, I basically never gave him the chance to change his mind! We lucked out, as the weekend we planned on going, the Cincinnati Reds were playing the LA Dodger in LA! Once we discovered that, the trip was booked. Our first night we went and explored downtown LA and went to the Dodgers game. Sunday, we woke up went for a bike ride along Venice beach for 18 miles... My tip: don't wait until you're tired to decide to turn around and head back for the bike rental shop! Also, don't forget your sunscreen!
    IMG_8230.jpg
    We left the bike for Disney's Paradise Pier - our home away from home for the last 3 nights. We went to Trader Sams that night for drinks and snacks. I've decided I like the WDW one better simply because there is more 'activity'. I also felt like I was in a local bar and missed half of the jokes.
    IMG_8291.jpg

We headed back for our hotel to watch the Disneyland fireworks from the pool deck. I wanted to catch them at least once on our trip since they don't go off if there is wind. I cried, typical Disney me, and it was a wonderful evening.

We woke up at the crack of dawn to head to Disney California Adventure! We rode Guardians first thing and it is still terrifying. Got FastPasses for RSR, California Screamin, Toy Story and in line for Soarin before the park even opened.
    IMG_8345.jpg
    Had a yummy bacon mac n cheese cone for breakfast! Needless to say, it was a super successful morning that required going back to the room for a nap. After our nap we got ready to head back and I noticed Christopher was showering, putting on a button down shirt, nice shorts, cologne... I had no clue (I thought he didn't want to stink for me/long shirt for the sunburn). We had a lovely dinner at Wine Country and hilariously road Heimlich's Chew Chew Train before Christopher was insisting it was time to ride the Fun Wheel. So off we went.

As we waited, in a rather long line I may add, 'they' announced that if your party was smaller than 6, you'd be sharing your basket. I said nope, not doing it if we have to share with another family. Awkward. So Chris went to the Cast Members and asked if we could have our own basket - he told me he was asking since we had waited so long and were so close so they gave it to us. Still clueless. So we get on, alone to our basket, and we make it to the top. I'm giddy pointing out everything to him and I eventually wonder why he isn't talking back and I look over to him and he is down on one knee. He gave me a cute speech about spending forever with me (I apparently kept telling him to 'shut up' and 'stop it' - glad he didn't listen!). I said yes and we enjoyed the rest of the ride being a newly engaged couple!:love:
    IMG_8429.jpg
    When we got off, the Cast Member he asked (he told them the real reason why we wanted to go alone) had gotten us gift certificates for free Disney Wedding Ears! Such a magical moment on top of an already magical one. We then went and played some more, being those dorky, in-love couples.
    IMG_8398.jpg
    Then he told me we had to go line up for World of Color, to which I told him no we have a FastPass. Turns out he had booked a Dessert Party for World of Color to end our night on a serious high note. :love:
    IMG_8444.jpg IMG_8493.jpg

The next day was my birthday so I had to go to Walt's park on my birthday. We went bright and early and had a wonderful time. We rode Star Tours, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, and in line for Indiana Jones before the park opened.

IMG_8515.jpg
    Had a traditional breakfast. Road Big Thunder, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, all the Fantasyland rides, and visited Toon Town before heading to lunch at the Plaza Inn. Then we went back to nap/shower.
    IMG_8535.jpg
    Came back for our dinner ressie at Blue Bayou (YUM) and rode the rides at nighttime. We ended the trip by watching the Disneyland fireworks as an engaged couple! It was a seriously magical trip! I love him so much for everything he does for me, the wonderful trip and engagement. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him!
    IMG_8623.jpg

Up next: My save the dates, our return address stamp and the worst dress shopping experience...

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Gondingl

What I have nailed down so far.

My photographer:
    I went with Randy Chapman. Disney brides love him here, on the Facebook and so we went with him! Anyone else use Randy as their wedding photographer? I'd love to see some more of his work!

My dress! I had two wedding dress shopping experiences. The first one, was a horrible, horrible wedding dress shopping experience. The lady who was 'helping' me just kept making comments about how 'curvy' I was (in not a good way), how big my 'assets' were and how nothing would fit me and I'd just have to hold dresses up to me and that is how I'd figure out if it was 'the one' or not. I spent the drive home crying from that "magical: experience.

Needless to say, I didn't ever want to go again. My mom kept suggesting a place closer to home, actually really close to where DF works, and I really didn't want to go after that first experience. I was willing to buy the dress online. She asked me about it every day for a week before I gave in. So I went, during the week when it wasn't crowded (which was awesome) and I thought I fell in love with the dress I tried on right before it. My dress-godmother (that is what i called her during the appointment because she was so amazing) made me try on the rest of my dresses even though in my head I thought I had found it. I am so thankful she did because literally the next dress I tried on was THE ONE!! I cried. I felt absolutely gorgeous and sexy and amazing. She also asked if I remembered the prior dress and I couldn't at all. I finished trying on the rest of the dresses I had pulled but none of the others compared and I just wanted back in The One. So I bought her!
    D2167.1464816587.0-530x845.jpg
    D2167.1464816586.0-530x845.jpg

Mine has an almost blush pink underlay with white lace overlay so the lace really pops as does the bling. Because of the back, I am now on a wedding diet and workout plan! (4th of July got the best of me so have to get back on track! Here is picture I took of me and Sophie - DF is barely in it too!)
    IMG_8726.JPG

Our Save the Dates!
    (I've even sent them out!) I was so excited to get them in the mail. What I got was a let down. The print quality was terrible, most were faded, they had white edges and the magnet backing was showing on all of them and just looked sloppy (even DF agreed they were sloppy and a let down so I know it wasn't me being a perfectionist). So I wrote to the seller about our complaints and he set me a new batch the next day. The second batch had better print quality but still had issues with the magnetic backing showing past the side of the 'pass' which was very noticeable on the white backing so we fixed with scissors.
    IMG_8709.JPG

How cute are they?! (This is an untrimmed one). They almost look like a real FastPass if you didn't know what a real one looked like! My girlfriends thought I got it from Disney! We are already getting really good feedback on who will be attending. Also makes me nervous since Sea Breeze Point, can only hold 80 people. Our guest list is 117 and we already have 54 'heck yes, we won't miss it for the world.' Now this may change when it gets down to business though.

Rehearsal/Welcome Dinner: We will be having our welcome dinner at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'! We ate there together last fall on our arrival day and both thought it was amazing so when I got pricing back from them and saw they were very reasonably priced, we committed! Since my parents have never eaten there, we plan to make it our first stop on our arrival night so we can narrow down the menu. We will be going with the fried chicken for sure though!
    IMG_6831 (1).jpg

Engagement Party: My parents are also very generous to be hosting an engagement party for us. However, we seem to be wanting two different kinds of parties. I want a casual affair with just friends and family so they can meet before the wedding. My mom wants a formal affair - she asked if DF has a nice suit to wear! - so that she can impress her friends (whom aren't being invited to the wedding). The venue is super formal, pretty, but formal. So it will be interesting so how this one pans out. Here are the invites though - I picked them out. I think they go perfectly with our Art Deco wedding theme!
    1.jpg

The invites just went out in the mail on Friday so hoping to get a good response even though we sent them out late (the party is in August).

To make the engagement party more fun, I'm going to make my own Walt Disney World trivia game and put the cards on the tables for people to find and play.

Up next: Wedding Invitation Samples and General Wedding Ideas!

5. Gondingl

Okay I have a rant. I don't even have a wedding contract back, and I"ve been engaged for almost less than a month, and I already have a rant!

My friend, whom I celebrated every lifetime milestone (bachelorette party cruise, hosted a bridal shower, in her wedding, hosted her baby shower, etc) without complaint, did what she asked me to do, is now telling our mutually close friends - whom just told me they'd be more than happy to stay at the Beach Club to be in the same hotel with us - that there are cheaper hotels (Swan and Dolphin) in the area because that is what she can afford and doesn't want to be the only one staying there. Guess where everyone is now staying?! >:(

I mean what the flipping flip?! I know I should be thankful they are coming to our wedding, but I'm really upset by this. Any tips/advice on where to go from here?

I know. I need to be thankful they are coming but it hurts.

6. Lynne G

Lynne G DIS Veteran

Smile, and focus on what a beautiful wedding you will have. While I'd enjoy having my friends in the same hotel as me, getting ready for the wedding, and having time with DF alone, is just as important as hanging out with friends. And, they can always come over, the walk between both hotels are not that far. I am sorry friend is already giving you drama. Just note, a wedding has to have some drama, so that's your one drama, and you're done drama. Move on, and be happy for all the people that will be coming to your wedding.

Oh, and your dress is stunning.

Hugs.

7. MermaidFantasia

MermaidFantasia Future Disney FTW Bride

Your plans seem quite dreamy! I absolutely LOVE your dress, and cannot wait to see how your plans blossom.

May the bumps in the road lead to all your dreams coming true.

8. MermaidFantasia

MermaidFantasia Future Disney FTW Bride

Your plans seem quite dreamy! I absolutely LOVE your dress, and cannot wait to see how your plans blossom.

May the bumps in the road lead to all your dreams coming true.

9. Gondingl

Thank you Lynne. I needed the reminder this is about DF and I. It is a bonus friends will be there but they don't have to be with us in the hotel room - we will see them at the wedding.

Thank you :) I can't wait to bring my dress home. Sad I'm only going to wear it one day - already! I might try and add a park photoshoot!

10. Gondingl

Update: Planning, Invites and Outfits.

First of all, I GOT MY WEDDING PLANNER!!!!

I have Diane Bowen and her assistant is Steven. Has anyone else had them for their wedding?

I also got our wedding block link to book rooms and the Deluxe Resort I blocked, it only available the night of the wedding!.... Rut Roh. I think my wedding block manager is trying to work on this for me so that will be nice if that gets done. If not, I guess we will book outside of the block for the nights we can't get. Has anyone had luck getting more nights in their block?

I also thing we have a planning session date - October 12! Nothing is confirmed but it is the only date out of the 3 I gave that works for both of us.

I also think we have decided on our wedding invites! What do you think?
    icm_fullxfull.129737331_7lxpnobjkls8480gsokw.png

For DF's suit and his groomsmen we are looking at grey suits (with purple tie and pocket square). I also want DF to stand out a bit from his GFs. I don't like it when they match - can't figure out who the groom is! Something like this:
    4bf66b069082f424a6b91c25ae66f4ab.jpg

Another idea I had was just having the groomsmen wearing vests, no jacket, and DF in a jacket. But this doesn't seem very formal too me. Semi-formal at best? What are your all's thoughts.

3d145430489a287432f8b6aacec75e12.jpg
    Also, any suggestions on finding great looking suits without paying an arm and a leg? Apparently Jos. A Bank doesn't have their suit sale anymore!...

For my gals, I want this dress. But it is a little expensive ($250)
    0a8a96a1defc3116c7c676742e934d38.jpg
    The runner up at David's Bridal is now on sale for $160)
    86a5c73af8aa4d970edf1dd7926db23a.jpg
    We also plan to go to where I purchased my dress from and look at what they have since they will get a discount since that is where I purchased my dress.

OOOO More BIG NEWS! that I forgot to mention earlier. DF's and mine's mutual friend cuts our hair. She has offered to do my hair and my ladies and my mom's hair as my wedding gift!! So all we have to do is find a makeup artist! I really wanted LeJune Atristry but just needed 5 makeup's won't meet their $650 minimum. I've been looking around and think Laura Reynolds Artisty is whom I want to do my hair and makeup. She has a nice style that is in between glamorous and natural and sophisticated. Love it.

Okay that is it for now!

11. Lynne G

Lynne G DIS Veteran

Love your wedding colors. Mine were dark purple and white. I like the darker dress, though I would try to find a flattering style for all the gals. My only gal was in an amethyst, dark purple dress that was short, and she wore it to cocktail parties later. Black shoes.

I prefer the jacket for all the men, if you want formal. My DH and best man were in black, my DH wore his tuxedo. I wanted a formal wedding. Dark purple ties for both men.

I like the invitations.

So exciting you got your planner, and will visit in October. Maybe do a trial of hair and makeup when you are in town.

12. Gondingl

Thank you! I love the color purple plus I love the way it looks against grey and black.

I agree, the jacket makes it look more formal. Hopefully we can find something for all the men that looks nice together since one GM has a grey suit already.

I'm thinking to do my trial run for makeup my rehearsal day - I'll be the same shade of un-tan. :rotfl2: If I go in October, I'll still be tan from the summer?

adisneyaunt likes this.
  13. Karin1984

Karin1984 DIS Veteran

I personally would prefer the men without the jacket, but it really depends on the feeling you want, formal or more relaxed. Either way, I would go either all with jackets or all without. I wouldn't do the groom with and the groomsmen without jacket like on the picture

14. Lynne G

Lynne G DIS Veteran

You might have some color from the summer, but it will still be hot and you still could get color from October. Since you are down, I'd try to, so you don't have to make more trips (unless you want to) and that way, if you like or don't like, you have time to decide before real time.

Agreed, purple and grey are very pretty together. And since DF already has a grey suit, I'd stick with grey too.

Hopefully you'll get your BEO soon.

Happy Wedding planing!