"Late night" food?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Our flight arrives at MCO at 7:30pm on a Sunday evening. We'll need to get the luggage and rental car, and are headed for Saratoga Springs Resort. We'll probably want to stop on our way to pick up half-and-half for morning coffee, but we'll also need to get something to eat somewhere along the way, either sit-down or take out. Any recommendations, give the timeline?

Last edited:
A lot depends on what you like to eat. Restaurants around Disney will still be in full swing by the time you get there (guessing about 9:30). For me, I would probably do a chain fast service place, too late for a fine meal and too tired to sit for long. Anything at Disney Springs catch your eye, it's nice and close. We'd probably do Panera Bread - not to heavy just before bed. There is one Vineland near the Prime Outlet mall although not sure of the hours.

Grocery can wait. The Walmarts are 24 hours, so if you only need a thing or two that would be the option. If you want better stuff, Publix (also on Vineland) closes at 10:00.

I think a new Travel Convenience Center has opened within the last year on MCO property . It was just being built a year ago so maybe google for more info. But it might also have a fast food option along with a nice selection of some grocery items.
My son just returned from trip last month and drove past it. He said it is a nice gas station and maybe a fast food pizza and Mexican restaurant in the Center. He didn’t stop but looked nice and safe.

Last edited:
Our flight arrives at MCO at 7:30pm on a Sunday evening. We'll need to get the luggage and rental car, and are headed for Saratoga Springs Resort. We'll probably want to stop on our way to pick up half-and-half for morning coffee, but we'll also need to get something to eat somewhere along the way, either sit-down or take out. Any recommendations, give the timeline?
Much depends on how smooth your journey is and how hungry you are. You may just want to grab something at the airport when you land.

When we stay at Saratoga, we usually go to the Winn-Dixie at 11957 S Apopka Vineland Rd. It's the closest grocery store to the resort. It's not quite as good as Publix, but it's fine. They have pretty much everything you would need.

If you want a good bargain meal, you can go to Wawa which is a bit closer to Saratoga Springs on the same road as Winn-Dixie. They likely will have creamer for your coffee as it gas station and convenience store, but also has lots of good sandwiches and other things. Also, Wawa has a giant condiment area which can be useful when traveling and you want one packet of grape jelly instead of a whole jar.

If you get to the resort early enough, they have a lot of quick food options and may have your creamer as well in The Artist's Palette.

You can walk over to Disney Springs. The closest quick food there would be the Earl of Sandwich. The closest restaurant is Rainforest Cafe.

Disney Springs take reservations up until 9:45, and many other restaurants in that area are open til 10 or 11. I would try for a 9:30 dinner reservation.

It's a good thing we didn't make reservations anywhere, as it took over 2 hours to get a rental car and get out of MCO. It was about 11:45 by the time we got to our room at SSR, so we just drove to Denny's. However, I have since learned that Miller's Ale House is open until 2am. It would have been a better option, but at that point we just wanted to eat something and go to bed (but we did find the Winn Dixie and WaWa the next day!)

Wow, sorry that that happened. I saw some videos of insane rental car lines. I hope they get things together by September.

Wow, sorry that that happened. I saw some videos of insane rental car lines. I hope they get things together by September.
The rental car companies sold all their inventory back last august.
So demand is much greater than supply now.

It doesn't matter what city in the country you look, rental car prices are sky high right now.

The rental car companies sold all their inventory back last august.
So demand is much greater than supply now.

It doesn't matter what city in the country you look, rental car prices are sky high right now.

That is very true, but it still doesn't solve the issue of massive lines at the pickup counter. Companies clearly need to bring more people back.

That is very true, but it still doesn't solve the issue of massive lines at the pickup counter. Companies clearly need to bring more people back.

I think with less cars they are probably overbooking. so then they are scrambling to find cars or get cars from the satellite affiliates in the area and that delay is causing long lines.

I think with less cars they are probably overbooking. so then they are scrambling to find cars or get cars from the satellite affiliates in the area and that delay is causing long lines.
Not to mention the 100 upsell items they try to soak tourists with.

It's a good thing we didn't make reservations anywhere, as it took over 2 hours to get a rental car and get out of MCO. It was about 11:45 by the time we got to our room at SSR, so we just drove to Denny's. However, I have since learned that Miller's Ale House is open until 2am. It would have been a better option, but at that point we just wanted to eat something and go to bed (but we did find the Winn Dixie and WaWa the next day!)

I hope you are having a great time! It’s snowing here in Maine 🥴🙄

I wonder if the customer that agrees to all the extra fee , gets bumped to guaranteed chances of having auto available upon arrival...

I hope you are having a great time! It’s snowing here in Maine 🥴🙄
And nearby WDW residence , I am starting to see a few love bugs and the sound of cicadas (called crickets from my St.Louis childhood) ...sadly I rarely see lightning bugs anymore unless I am on the Disneyland version of Pirates of Caribbean ( missing )

Hope your Disney trip is full of memories to keep .

Last edited:

Companies have called back everyone. As someone who runs a service business in Florida I can tell you, people do not want to work. State of Florida pays $275 a week in unemployment assistance and then the Federal government puts in another $300 a week. That works out to a little over $14.30 an hour just to sit home and do nothing. Throw in tax returns and stimulus payments and the problem compounds. Unemployment benefits have even been extended to September so people aren't even going to look for a job until then. People up north still keep coming to Florida because they are sick of the weather and the lock downs but restaurant's don't have enough staff to take care of them. Hotels don't have enough housekeepers to keep the rooms clean or car rental agencies don't have enough agents to rent the cars.

I think wawa is your best bet for food and half and half. They even sell bags of coffee or kcups there.

I work at 1 up in PA and have been to one in Orlando and it was nice and all the food is 24/7 even the made to order deli food or there are pre-made salads and wraps.

That way you aren't making multiple stops when you are tired! I remember the 1 we went to had outdoor seating even but of course it may/may not be open.

Companies have called back everyone. As someone who runs a service business in Florida I can tell you, people do not want to work. State of Florida pays $275 a week in unemployment assistance and then the Federal government puts in another $300 a week. That works out to a little over $14.30 an hour just to sit home and do nothing. Throw in tax returns and stimulus payments and the problem compounds. Unemployment benefits have even been extended to September so people aren't even going to look for a job until then. People up north still keep coming to Florida because they are sick of the weather and the lock downs but restaurant's don't have enough staff to take care of them. Hotels don't have enough housekeepers to keep the rooms clean or car rental agencies don't have enough agents to rent the cars.
I've recently seen some blame for a lack of service workers on unemployment benefits, but it really isn't that simple.

Employment in Florida has quickly rebounded. In some areas, like construction, it never slowed down at all and, in fact, increased. The grocery industry boomed.

The jobs most impacted by the pandemic in Florida were low-paying service jobs in the tourism and hospitality industry. With those workers fired, they became free agents, with no obligation to return to the same company or type of job they had before.

One impact of the unemployment benefits is they allow workers the time to find a better job. If you are desperate for a paycheck, you may take that dishwashing gig when you can start right now. If you have a safety net, you may hold out for that interview next week at a factory.

These unemployed workers have lots of choices as to where to look for work. They may get jobs at Amazon or Publix, or some other businesses that have been hiring lots of people here and generally pay better. Workers will gravitate to the best jobs if they have the chance.

When you shake up the job market and economy like the pandemic did, it makes sense that the least-desirable, lowest-paying jobs would be the last to get filled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter