'Last of Us' on HBO.... Who is watching?

I watched playthroughs of the first game and the DLC. I later got the game, never played it. The games had a great balance of suspense and drama, I can see why it's become so popular.

I'm eager to see the show sometime. I love the idea of basing a horror/apocalypse story with a real-life basis found in the cordyceps fungus.
that is one of the things I like about this show, it is different than the Walking Dead that never really explains the virus/pathogen etc, how or when it started. The Last of Us show does a nice job of bringing the cordyceps science and explanation into the episodes right away. Some of those real life mind control/behavior altering pathogens are really interesting (and scary)

Wikipedia has a plot summary for both games, I don't want to get into spoilers in here (I haven't played the game, just read the Wiki page).

My sister and I have been watching on Fridays, so we're only through episode 2. Really enjoying it, though!
I don't want to read spoilers. I was just curious if that was the point of the game.

Spoiler (kinda) alert for episode 3.... dont read if you have not watched

I will say I have a new appreciation for strawberries. One of my favorite scenes in ep 3 was the strawberries. I could totally imagine the joy of eating a strawberry for the first time in 10 years or so

We're watching. Husband is very excited, and really enjoying it. Neither of us are familiar with the video game. I think it's ok so far, but not loving it like he is. The third episode was the best so far for me

I didn’t know it was game. Watching it and really enjoying it. Keep expecting his daughter to pop up!

Last edited:
It's really good....great cast. My husband has played the game so he knows the general plot. I asked him how we have a fungus that caused this zombie outbreak and spores aren't a problem....and he said in the game that they were a thing. He said the creators of the show said it would have been too difficult to incorporate that into the show. Last night's episode was very good....but so far, episode 3 was the best, just so well done. That alone will win them lots of Emmys.

It's really good....great cast. My husband has played the game so he knows the general plot. I asked him how we have a fungus that caused this zombie outbreak and spores aren't a problem....and he said in the game that they were a thing. He said the creators of the show said it would have been too difficult to incorporate that into the show. Last night's episode was very good....but so far, episode 3 was the best, just so well done. That alone will win them lots of Emmys.
yes they mentioned it in the first episode (spores) but have not really touched on that.... I think the nature of the game play requires certain 'attacks" and perils... allowing a game character to gain experience and advance... but in a TV show and in the interest of storytelling, some of those would not add to the story, but bog it down or even end prematurely. In the game I believe you can die, kill Ellie/Joel etc... and then simply restart or go back to a previous save... that would make for a short TV show.

I'm learning the hard way not to get attached to any characters!
THIS!!!
I am seeing a disturbing pattern... introduce a character(s)... make us really like them ... then kill them by the end of the episode....

Although I would not have minded a little more Bloater action with Kathleen like with Perry, she was so coldly evil... I loved hated her

DS watched the first two episodes with his college buddies last night and was raving about it this morning. It just happened to be coming on HBO, so we sat down and watched the same two episodes. DH and I joked that we now understand why HBO ended Westworld. :) Everyone is trying to get their Saturday chores/errands finished so we can watch some more this evening. :P

Episode 5 was so rough for me. I didn't cry but dang, it was soo close.
OMG, I sat there just like *** just happened..... not cool.... not cool at all.
I figured they would get it at some point, but maybe hang around for a bit.... I had just started to really like them Henry and Sam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter