Last day on the Wonder - some comments

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by NaturalNine, Apr 11, 2019.

1. NaturalNine

NaturalNine Aussie Adventurer

Disney Wonder - 5 Day Cruise from San Diego, 4/7 - 4/12

Final day today, disembarking tomorrow. As first time cruisers this was a real experiment for us to see if we’d love cruising (Read on to see if we do) and also as first time Solo vacationers, to see a Disney Cruise from the eyes of having No Kids (Our 3 kids stayed at home in Australia)

Embarkation:

Embarkation at San Diego was a breeze, We had an 11.00am PAT allocated to us, Stayed the night before a short drive away at Courtyard San Diego Central (Fantastic Hotel), Parked at the Wyndham car park and arrived at port with one carry on roller and two large cases at 10am, final guests from prior cruise were still disembarking however the porter took our two large cases straight away and we went into the Pre Checkin Area. At approx 10.45am Check in line opened and we were actually the first to check in through security and handed our key to the world card. We were allocated Boarding Group 8, checked on if any upgrades were available (We had a Deck 7 Fwd deluxe verandah already) but nothing better available, was hoping for concierge but not to be, they did have some lower category cabins available still.

On board by 11.45am and straight to Azure to make Palo Brunch and Mixology reservations, got both without a problem at all.

Room:

Stateroom 7026 - Over all extremely happy, a short flight of stairs to Cove Cafe and the Adults Only Area. Room was spacious enough, view from stateroom verandah was gorgeous particularly sailing out of San Diego and sailing into Cabo. I don’t know how Pooh size individuals use the shower though, I’m not huge and struggled (I’m 6 Foot plus and had to squat to wash my hair) lol

Food:

We asked for an individual table about 4 weeks before the cruise and request was granted, Originally allocated a server that we just didn’t click with, The server a few rows away was from Bali Indonesia and we got chatting with him early in the first service, he lived in an area we frequently visit for vacations and knows a lot of people from Australia. Head server was happy to accomodate us moving to his area and from there on we had Jose and Anon - Both amazing guys and service has been awesome.

Dinner has been great most of the nights, Quality of food has actually been very surprising and absolutely restaurant quality. Only food I sent back was the Truffle Pasta at Animators, it came out with a thick skin over the sauce and had clearly been under the warmer for too long. They apologised and brought out a fresh one that was delicious.

Ended up visiting Palo three times during the cruise, once for Dinner on Pirate Night and twice for Brunch. Dinner was a little disappointing, the steak that came out was well done rather than Medium Rare as requested, then the Chef came out with the fresh one and sort of made it out that it “Wasn’t to my taste” (His words) - It was not cooked as ordered, nothing about my taste. That night also, our server had 4 tables on the go, two of which left to check on kids mid service which upset her timings, so service was very poor. Both brunches were absolutely sensational though, very relaxed, incredible food and awesome service. I would recommend Brunch over Dinner

I found Cabanas disappointing, Embarkation day was good as it was new food to me, Chicken Tenders were as good as expected, Chocolate Mousse was amazing, the rest of the food good. Other than the first lunch, I found it very disappointing for Breakfast and Lunch, not a wide selection and sub par quality. We tried eating breakfast there on Cabo morning and it was far too hectic for my liking, quality of food average at best and had one father who thought that right next to our table to tend to his vomiting child would be a good place, rather than walking him to the bathrooms. Wasn’t conducive to enjoying a nice breakfast.

Ports:

We spent a few hours visiting Cabo which was very nice, took an Uber a few kms up the beach and then walked back via the shops and markets. Spent about $150 on drinks and some gifts for home.

We didn’t get off the ship in Ensenada so cant comment on that one

Shows:

Frozen was amazing, as was Matt Baker who was the Juggling / Comedian on board. Entertainment as a whole was amazing - Jo from UK has been doing a lot of the MC’ing and Ashley the cruise director has been very good and not too overbearing

So - Are we going on another cruise?

The answer is an absolute definitive YES! Booking 7 nights Fantasy for December

Feel free to answer any Q’s - spent plenty of time researching and exploring the ship :)

2. NaturalNine

Oh meant to add too - as a first time cruiser, and having read all about “Paper Navigatorgate” I requested to have a daily delivery of the navigator which happened each day at turndown without a problem

That said - I looked at it a few times maximum, the app is fantastic, can plan your whole cruise on day one using the app and favourite activities - it even sent push reminders to my Apple Watch 15 minutes before an activity started

We used to really enjoy filling in empty spots of our next day on the app at dinner each night :)

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. Curt Sole

Curt Sole Earning My Ears

Thanks for this post we are boarding for the first time at a port other than PC next week. The timing you offer about the San Diego port is very helpful.

NaturalNine likes this.
  5. pixiedustedme

pixiedustedme Planning is half the fun

Thanks for your wonderful report! I recommend you give Palo dinner a try on another ship. We sailed on the Magic a few weeks ago, and Palo dinner was excellent and the service was the best I've ever had. By contrast, our MDR food was the weakest we've had on any Disney ship (we've sailed them all). Cabanas was good, though.

So these things can always vary by ship and sail date. So glad that you're going to find out by sailing DCL again in the future!

COASTIEandMATE likes this.
  6. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

So glad you had a great cruise and are ready for another one.

NaturalNine likes this.
  7. ivanp91

ivanp91 Mouseketeer

IMO the App is perfectly fine, and I see it as the sort of thing where it's the seasoned cruisers that prefer the paper navigator simply because that's what they're used to. Indeed, I use a mix of both - I much prefer the ease of the layout of the paper navigator, what I usually do is mark things on it and then find those activities in the app.

8. DisneyPiPhi

DisneyPiPhi DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed the Wonder! Our first DCL was also on the Wonder, and we also enjoyed Jo and Ashley. Sounds like a similar experience!

COASTIEandMATE likes this.
  9. GPaLarry

GPaLarry Have earned one ear!

We did the same cruise a couple of weeks ago...our ninth with DCL, three without kids/gkids...we "rent" gkids from time to time. My experience with boarding was similar. We stayed at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside, almost directly across the street from the dock. Embarkation was a bit of a hassle because the bags were checked in on one side of pier while you enter the building to check in on the other. We went directly through to the ship. Food, I thought, was great, even in Cabanas. True, it is crazy in there and hard to find a table at times, but the outside seats are awesome.
    We did the "posh" sailing/snorkel excursion in Cabo (been there once before) and the beer brewery excursion in Ensenada. Both were great, with a few reservations. Would do the beer run again...lots of fun.
    Thanks for coming all the way from Australia to be with the water Mouse. You will love the Fantasy for different reasons (bring your kids this time). They will love the Detective Agency adventure, the moving pictures, two full nights in Animator's Palate, the shows, Goofy's Golf, etc.
    Wife and I were in Australia & NZ about a year and a half ago. Loved your country from Cairns, to Uluru to Sydney...now, we are hoping DCL will leave one of their old/new (will take either) ships on the West Coast and venture to Hawaii and, with a bit of pixie dust, Australia. After all, Disney has already taken the first step with Kanga and baby Roo from Winnie the Pooh. With a little more luck they'll be working on a Wombat, too. Cruise on...

10. ofcabbagesandkings

ofcabbagesandkings DIS Veteran

Thanks for this report! Also first time DCL cruisers here getting ready to board the Wonder to Alaska soon! We do have a Palo dinner booked and I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience there.

11. FoodieFriend

FoodieFriend DisneyFan

@NaturalNine Just wondering about the type of electrical outlets that were in the stateroom. I know we can't bring power strips on board, but would we be ok with our regular charging cables for our phones? Some have posted that USB hubs are allowed, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to buy at universal type adapter for it.

12. Snowwhyt

Snowwhyt I've felt the Magic each time I visit!

Your charging cables are fine. They have no problem whether it’s a cord with a VCR, android, iPhone, laptop, camera, ...

FoodieFriend likes this.
  13. NaturalNine

Standard USA power on each side of the bed plus on the desk - there is two USB ports on the clock radio

I used an Anker 4 Way USB hub from Bestbuy, has two high amperage USB plus two standard - worked really well and kept all our devices in the black :)

FoodieFriend and pixiedustedme like this.
  14. NaturalNine

I’m sure you’ll love Palo - we just got unlucky on the night with an overly busy server and overlooked steak (probably as a consequence of them being so busy at one time)

The brunch’s were both incredible :)

ofcabbagesandkings likes this.
  15. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that happened.

I know I'm not a parent, but IMHO, unless the club CALLED to say there was an issue, that was really rude to leave to go and check on them.

16. NaturalNine

Just wanted to add - had the most thoughtful thing happen on our last night

So over the course of being at Palo for two brunches and one dinner the server and other staff got to know us quite well. They obviously noticed that one of our favourite Palo foods was the cheese selection with some balsamic vinegar - we didn’t make a big deal of it but they evidently noticed as on our last night, after eating at the MDR we got back to our room and there was a plate of cheese and a dish of balsamic waiting for us, with a card from Palo thanking us for visiting them and wishing us well for the remainder of our vacation

So thoughtful of them! Completely unexpected and moments like that you really can’t put a price tag on

P.S - the cheese is delicious ;-)

17. RAD

RAD DIS Veteran

It's because of the little things like this that we will spend the extra $'s to cruise own DCL vs other cruise lines.

COASTIEandMATE and NaturalNine like this.
  18. pixiedustedme

pixiedustedme Planning is half the fun

Oh, please. The restaurant exists to serve the guest, not the other way around. Taking a short break to check on a child in the midst of a 2-hour meal is nothing rude. Just like some guests eat relatively quickly, and others very slowly, drawing it out with lots of conversation, that is a reasonable timing variation, and something that a quality restaurant should be able to handle.