Las Vegas at New Years Eve!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
We are considering a last minute trip to Las Vegas for New Years and a few days afterwards............can anyone tell me what happens in Vegas at New Years? Are all the usual shows running? Do they have fireworks etc? Will the Xmas decorations still be up? And what is the weather like?!
Thanks so much
Debsx:yay:

Christmas decorations will still be up.

Most fine dining restaurants will have special NYE menus and you WILL need a reservation wherever you go. Some will have a first seating and second seating. Most will have higher prices than usual and special menus for the occasion.

Most shows will be going, but with different times; and some with add-ons like party favors and champagne toasts. A few years ago we saw Zumanity at the early show and they put feather boas at every seat.

There have been fireworks every year since 2000. However, last year they were launched from the ground rather than hotel roofs, which was an aftermath of the Monte Carlo fire (stupid contractors . . . sigh). So depending on where you were, it wasn't as exciting as before.

Expect higher rates that will be dropped a week or two before NYE when the hotels don't sell out. Also, expect 2 and 3 night minimums the farther out you book.

Weather will be COLD.

Anything else? Just ask!

I went to Vegas on New Years a couple of years ago and it was one of the worst experiences for me ever. The crowds on the strip were so huge that it was scary. It is the only time in my life where I felt I had no control.....I went where the crowd went. I love Vegas but avoid New Years unless you stay in your hotel because you won't get in another without a room key!

We will be in Las Vegas for NYE and can't wait:cool1:
We are traveling with kids 14 and 16.
We have booked a strip view room at the excalibur, that way if it is a nightmare on the street we can come up to the room and watch the fireworks etc.
However as we normally celebrate NYE in Sydney, I don't think it will be any where near as bad as NYE at the Opera house and Harbour Bridge, normally there is hundreds of thousands of people in the city of Sydney:scared1: so NYE in Vegas will be sedate:rotfl:

We will be in Las Vegas for NYE and can't wait:cool1:
We are traveling with kids 14 and 16.
We have booked a strip view room at the excalibur, that way if it is a nightmare on the street we can come up to the room and watch the fireworks etc.
However as we normally celebrate NYE in Sydney, I don't think it will be any where near as bad as NYE at the Opera house and Harbour Bridge, normally there is hundreds of thousands of people in the city of Sydney:scared1: so NYE in Vegas will be sedate:rotfl:

Make sure eveyone has a room key to re-enter the hotel. If you leave they will want to see a room key for everyone in your party or they won't be allowed in to the hotel. There are a lot of crazy, drunk, stupid people doing stupid things so I guess that's why they lock down the hotels. We did Vegas on the strip a couple of times and to be honest with you, we had a better view of the fireworks from the TV in the room. Off strip at the Rio we had better views than on strip with a strip facing view room. I would request a North facing Strip view room at Excalibur, or you could end up with a nice view of the airport and no fireworks. :sad1: Have fun and be safe!

I've been there for a couple of NYE celebrations. The crowds are crazy. Agree that you should make reservations if you have shows/dinners that you want to do.

Have also heard from others that you might need a room key to get into some of the smaller places (LV Hilton Timeshare person told me this).

I think Freemont Street has a "party" that you need to purchase a wristband for ... the strip is crazy. Dress warmly. Plan on all the table games to be $$$.

We will be there for this new year staying at the vdara. Going to celebrate my 40th birthday with dh and ds. First time to Vegas.

After doing NYE in Times Square many years I am venturing out to Vegas to ring in 2011! I heard it was a bit on the crazy side but how cold does it get? Being from NYC area NYE is usually in the 30's - sometimes 20's?
TIA!

I went to Vegas for New Years a few years back, it was pretty fun, but it is expensive! VEGAS IS PACKED! so many people, good luck getting a table under $10 (unless you go off the strip of course).

The shows are all going. Although, i really dont remember christmas decorations to be honest...

New Years Eve is a ton of fun. They close down the strip so cars cannot drive on the strip, and its just a major party outside. The weather was cold (i'm from CA so i thought it was cold). I'd say 40's was the low. But, lets be honest, usually you have some drinks in you in Vegas so its really not that cold out :). Its funny, the strip is closed, people are drunk, girls are showing stuff, and the "Church" comes out with signs telling people how they are sinners.

Like i said, its expensive, you pay the premium for being at one of the best new years partys. Everything is packed though, you go the week after and you will find 5 star hotels for $70, table minimums for $5, and atractions will be empty (thats when i go now that i'm an old man at 32) :) If you dont like crowds, i wouldnt go to Vegas for new years, if you enjoy the people, madness, etc., you will love Vegas on new years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter