Language used by CMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

geek+nerd

DIS Veteran
I’ve been at WDW since 12/21, and I’ve noticed something new with how the CMs talk to me when entering a queue or getting up to the loading point. Quite a few use the wording, “Are we able to transfer?”

My gut response (which I have not used) is to say, “I can’t speak for you but I can.”

I’m curious if this is something that CMs have been trained to say or if it is just what they are comfortable with.

Personally, I don’t like it. I find it condescending, like a parent telling a child, “Now, now. We don’t act like that.”

I’m just curious as to others’ experiences and thoughts.

My thought is that the CMs can't win. No matter how they speak, there's always someone who thinks they're either unfriendly, too friendly, coldly professional, not professional enough, too chatty, not personable. I swear I would hate working with the general public and stressing that my every word was going to be analyzed.

My thought is that the CMs can't win. No matter how they speak, there's always someone who thinks they're either unfriendly, too friendly, coldly professional, not professional enough, too chatty, not personable. I swear I would hate working with the general public and stressing that my every word was going to be analyzed.

Like X 1000!

Perhaps English is not their first language - remember that other languages have two forms of 'you', one familiar, one formal. English does not, so using 'we' becomes the more formal version of 'you'.

They were definitely native English speakers. I have a linguistics background and am a language teacher.

You hear that a lot from service professionals. They are taught to use we instead of you. It psychologically puts people at ease and is less accusatory or personal to one persons situation. Although the rare individual might be off put, the greater majority won’t mind. Most people won’t even notice because they are not looking for things to be offended by.

You hear that a lot from service professionals. They are taught to use we instead of you. It psychologically puts people at ease and is less accusatory or personal to one persons situation. Although the rare individual might be off put, the greater majority won’t mind. Most people won’t even notice because they are not looking for things to be offended by.

This exactly, just like when you are in a restaurant and the server says "Are we ready to order?"

Hmmm I'm betting they were trained to say "we" because maybe "YOU" is a bit harsh sounding?
I will agree that it should not be worded like that.
It sounds like they are using baby talk, talking down to you, or even worse they could be addressing your party instead of you specifically.

It is *certainly* better than when they look OVER your head, and ask a member of your traveling party "Can she transfer?" Guess what? She speaks for herself, thank you very much.

It may also be that the use of "we" is a way of not assuming a gender identity, although honestly, it strikes me more as what I refer to as "doctor office speak" where "we" often seems to be the preferred way to refer to any patient who has a companion with them. (i.e. "How are we today?" "Next, we will get on the scale." "Have we been measuring our blood sugar regularly?")

I don’t understand what could possibly be “accusatory” in asking someone, “Are you able to transfer?” I am the one in the chair. I am the one they need information about.

It is *certainly* better than when they look OVER your head, and ask a member of your traveling party "Can she transfer?" Guess what? She speaks for herself, thank you very much.

It may also be that the use of "we" is a way of not assuming a gender identity, although honestly, it strikes me more as what I refer to as "doctor office speak" where "we" often seems to be the preferred way to refer to any patient who has a companion with them. (i.e. "How are we today?" "Next, we will get on the scale." "Have we been measuring our blood sugar regularly?")

I HATE when people ask my husband if I can transfer. I always respond, “You should ask me.”

Why would an English speaker, non native or not, be offended by the word “you” when English provides no distinction? They would be aware of that. I don’t follow your logic.

CMs get to deal with lots of people in wheelchairs. For some of them not being able to walk is their only disability. For others you can add on any number other issues. Since they have to guess what you can and can’t do, and you don’t, why not beat them to the punch and when they walk up tell them first. Saves the CM from offending you by guessing wrong.

If this wording is indeed new and ubiquitous, then I would bet Disney has trained their CMs to use this wording. Our local DJ does a whole bit on the weird rules he had to follow when working at Disney so his act would be less likely to offend any guest.

I don’t understand what could possibly be “accusatory” in asking someone, “Are you able to transfer?” I am the one in the chair. I am the one they need information about.
To you it may not be. That’s the magic of words. They evoke different feeling in different people. “We” has been found to be less blunt and more gentle in unfamiliar situations. There is no perfect way to handle every person as you are a prime example. You don’t like it. Most others never notice. And some others would feel put off by “you”. There is no win.

My suggestion, don’t take little things like this personal. The CM doesn’t know you and isn’t trying to offend you. They didn’t think about you 5 seconds before they saw your chair, and won’t think of 5 seconds after you leave their work area. It’s not personal and they are trying their best to keep everyone happy.

You are taking time to post a thread about the use of a personal pronoun while on vacation.
And then responding to comments about that personal pronoun while on vacation.

The CMs are saying nothing inappropriate.
If you feel the word "we" is condescending, then that is your hangup. Don't place blame on the CMs for your sensitivity.

Try to enjoy your vacation....

Geez... a CM just can not win! They are being polite and trying to help. To get caught up in the phrasing is just odd.
Everything that exists is going to offend somebody, somewhere, at some point. That's just the way human nature is - the world isn't perfect, nor will it ever be. I chalk this thread up as similar to one posted previously regarding the trip mailings using the term party vs family or something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter