Ladies- talk to me about footwear please

mullysisters

DIS Veteran
Are the decks generally wet? Wedge heels? Can you, would you, walk around in bare feet (apart from the dining rooms, of course) I'm picturing slippery decks for some reason.

Not generally but yes, there are times the decks are wet but I have never had an issue. They are generally pretty on top of it with squeegees and signage. I would not walk around in bare feet. There are so many people around and I honestly don't go in my bare feet anywhere (I have suitcase slippers:P). I have never had any issue with my flip flops or tennis shoes on the pool decks. I have worn wedge heels and stilettos. (I didn't wear my stilettos around the pool TBH though) I have run on the running track on the Fantasy and Magic with no water issues.

Unless it just rained or the decks were just hosed down, the decks are typically dry. If you cruise in winter, bare feet in the pool deck areas will be fine (always wear shoes elsewhere, of course). If you cruise during non-winter months, the decks will be too hot to walk on barefoot.

I personally like wearing Tevas but that's mainly because they're supportive & waterproof, so I can put them on after swimming & not mind my feet being damp from that. But the decks themselves are not slippery and will not require you to wear a certain type of shoe. I've gone walking on the promenade deck in ladies' dress shoes before/after dinner without any problem.

Last edited:

For dinners I like to wear ballet type flat shoes, especially on the big ships as I’m not great walking in heels normally, and we tend to do the stairs not the elevators.

Around the pool area, I wear my Birkenstock gizeh essentials EVA sandals.

I've worn wedge sandals to dinner, but when just hanging around the ship I'm usually in flip flops. Decks are typically dry unless right near the pool area (that should be obvious). The only time I've gone barefoot is in line for the AquaDuck (there's a cubby to put your stuff), but otherwise just flips flops have always been fine.

I always wear Tevas on the pool deck, buffet and roaming around the ship (not at dinner/shows). They have flip-flops and sport sandals styles and are designed to be ok on wet surfaces, at the beach etc. I actually wear these walking at Disney World too, because if you get caught in the rain they will be ok.

The decks aren’t wet except for right around the pool. I always wear shoes of some type (dress shoes or sandals, flip-flops at the pools). As others pointed out, there’s still crowds, dropped items, ketchup spills (I don’t know why this comes to mind, it’s not like it’s something I’ve seen, but when I envision myself walking barefoot, I envision walking into a pool of sun-warmed ketchup…) that you’ll want to protect your feet from. Plus, as you walk between your location and your room, you’re also bound to become distracted by an event, character greeting, chance to stop off to get coffee or a drink. Really, other than the immediate pool area, all of those other areas really aren’t appropriate for bare feet.

I prefer a lower heel in the evening. The boat does rock and it does take a bit of time to get used to the motion. I would not go barefoot. Early mornings the decks may be wet due to the weather. I walk deck 4 and just wear my sneakers. During the day, weather dependent, decks are usually dry.

I have walked around the deck barefoot before, but it is not my preference. Nothing has ever been slippery for me. The upper decks can get very hot, so I am in flip flops/sandals/birkenstocks most of the time. If I am at the pool and want to go grab an icecream or drink or meal from the deck stations - I might not wear shoes, but you will find that most of the time you'll just want to pop a pair of sandals or similar on.

I've worn all different types of heels on board. Whatever you're comfortable with on land is a suitable option for the ship!

I usually am in flip flops or tennis shoes up on the upper decks anyways, never really noticed it being slippery. For dinners I've worn heels many times but that's inside. I do remember one cruise (non disney) that was really rough one night which made walking in general very difficult so I actually wore flip flops to that dinner so be prepared for rough water depending on which destination you're going to.

If you're a morning person, be aware there might be some condensation on the decks early in the morning, especially on the cruises in humid locations. Just like you'll get it on your car windshield on humid early mornings, it will collect on the decks. I had a slip one morning on the upper decks around sunrise on a Panama Canal cruise.

Are the decks generally wet? Wedge heels? Can you, would you, walk around in bare feet (apart from the dining rooms, of course) I'm picturing slippery decks for some reason.

Never bare feet (imagine all the plantar warts you could catch!). Floors tend to be slippery (and HOT) in the pool area. I’m usually wearing flip flops around the pool … or sports sandals (non skid).

I am like the poster above, I take sneakers, flip flops, and ballet flats. So sneakers for excursions/ports, flip flops to be around the pool during the day, and ballet flats for dinner. I have never gone barefoot since there may be food or spilled drinks on the floor.

I would say, shoes would be similar to what you would wear at a hotel - footwear is expected except perhaps right by the pool. I am not the most coordinated person to begin with, so I stay away from heels even not on a ship, but keep in mind there can sometimes be motion that can make walking slightly more challenging. I have found some spray and condensation on some of the lower outdoor decks, and certainly by the pool area it can be wet. I like the configuration mentioned by Wishuponastarrynight - sneakers, sandals, flip flops and a dress shoe/sandal (low heel).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter