Kyle Busch sentenced to 3-1/2 prison sentence in Mexico for firearms violation but still allowed to leave

I will never understand how a person forgets they have something like that in their bag, or how people don’t research local laws when traveling internationally. When I travel internationally, I’m always reading up on current laws so I don’t get arrested for bringing in something that would be legal here, such as OTC medications. I do appreciate that he did accept responsibility for his mistake and accept the consequences, instead of playing the blame game.

Private planes, and those flying on them, are far less to get searched by customs.
Traveling to Canada I have been meet by customs maybe 10 percent of the time.
Traveling to the Caribbean, you always meet customs but the have never searched the plane, or passenger baggage.

Even returning to the US customs is pretty lax..... Although one agent made me throw out my uneaten lunch once.... That was a rough day.

Bottom line is it is a different world. When it is your own plane you leave things on the plane that TSA would flip over. The point being you can't judge what Kyle Busch might have done to a TSA / normal commercial flight standard. They just aren't the same.

Private planes, and those flying on them, are far less to get searched by customs.
Traveling to the Caribbean, you always meet customs but the have never searched the plane, or passenger baggage.

Even returning to the US customs is pretty lax..... Although one agent made me throw out my uneaten lunch once.... That was a rough day.

Bottom line is it is a different world. When it is your own plane you leave things on the plane that TSA would flip over. The point being you can't judge what Kyle Busch might have done to a TSA / normal commercial flight standard. They just aren't the same.
My dad would pay the Mexican border patrol not to search his plane. Of course that was years ago, but I doubt the corruption is much better.

One article I read said he had a concealed weapons permit for the US but apparently those aren't valid in Mexico. There is a lot of corruption in law enforcement in Mexico so who knows what actually happened? With rampant drug cartels/violence, I would imagine anything is possible. He probably paid a 'fine' and they let him go. Wouldn't surprise me to find they target people flying on private jets since they are more likely to be wealthy.

Last edited:
One article I reads says he had a concealed weapons permit for the US but apparently those aren't valid in Mexico. There is a lot of corruption in law enforcement in Mexico so who knows what actually happened? With rampant drug cartels/violence, I would imagine anything is possible. He probably paid a 'fine' and they let him go. Wouldn't surprise me to find they target people flying on private jets since they are more likely to wealthy.
I doubt that any of that matters in terms of having a firearm in Mexico. I understand that there are a lot of hoops to legally possess a firearm in Mexico, and that a visitor most likely can’t do so legally. It was found in his luggage, so it was a matter of mere possession of something he wasn’t allowed to possess while in Mexico.

Another wealthy “celebrity” that will most likely face no consequences at all.

I don’t necessarily get all the things that are done on “private” aircraft, even without crossing international borders. I’ve heard of the talk of JetSuiteX allowing passengers to take their baggage directly to a plane by using general aviation facilities, and without a requirement for searching or X-rays.

But internationally I’m sure there are at least random searches. I am surprised that Busch was searched on the way home though. I thought that for the most part it’s not about safety checks but dealing with customs on arrival.

I will never understand how a person forgets they have something like that in their bag, or how people don’t research local laws when traveling internationally. When I travel internationally, I’m always reading up on current laws so I don’t get arrested for bringing in something that would be legal here, such as OTC medications. I do appreciate that he did accept responsibility for his mistake and accept the consequences, instead of playing the blame game.
Would he have accepted the consequences if he didn't already know he was going to essentially pay a fine and be let go? If facing 3.5 years and the authorities say pay X dollars, and get out of here, I think most people would say where do I pay and where's the exit door?

I don’t necessarily get all the things that are done on “private” aircraft, even without crossing international borders. I’ve heard of the talk of JetSuiteX allowing passengers to take their baggage directly to a plane by using general aviation facilities, and without a requirement for searching or X-rays.

But internationally I’m sure there are at least random searches. I am surprised that Busch was searched on the way home though. I thought that for the most part it’s not about safety checks but dealing with customs on arrival.
And I think that undermines Busch's claim. You mean you took a whole bag to Mexico with a gun in it, never actually looked in the bag the whole time you were there? Something doesn't add up here.

Yea, I’m not sure I can recommend that .
That was back in the 80's. From what I've heard police officers still try to shake down tourists for cash. My co-worker got pulled over in Can Cun for not wearing a seat belt and the officer wanted 300 dollars or he was going to take her to jai. I can't imagine border patrol has changed much.
I think my dad just didn't want to unpack the plane. We came back with a ice chests full of fresh fish that we caught.

If I’m not mistaken, and I could be, JetSuite operates a limited number of flights per week and they operate kinda of a hi bred model, where they are not a pure charter because they sell seats, but do to there limited number of flights between city pairs they are not consider a scheduled airline.

The plane they operate are light enough that they don’t have to screen the passengers.

But again I haven’t spent a ton of time looking into there operation

If I’m not mistaken, and I could be, JetSuite operates a limited number of flights per week and they operate kinda of a hi bred model, where they are not a pure charter because they sell seats, but do to there limited number of flights between city pairs they are not consider a scheduled airline.

The plane they operate are light enough that they don’t have to screen the passengers.

But again I haven’t spent a ton of time looking into there operation

I read about how they operate at OAK, which is to use the North Field general aviation area and not the main terminals. One reporter noted that she was literally dropped off by car close to the plane and just placed her bags in front. That's pretty similar to how I've boarded buses. They're also using 100% general aviation airports that don't have passenger terminals.

I read about how they operate at OAK, which is to use the North Field general aviation area and not the main terminals. One reporter noted that she was literally dropped off by car close to the plane and just placed her bags in front. That's pretty similar to how I've boarded buses. They're also using 100% general aviation airports that don't have passenger terminals.
San Diego has schedule service
White Plains has schedule service
MIA has schedule service
You might not know this but MCO has a passenger terminal too

San Diego has schedule service
White Plains has schedule service
MIA has schedule service
You might not know this but MCO has a passenger terminal too

I meant that they were using general aviation airports that are 100% dedicated to general aviation without passenger terminals. I looked it up and JSX seems to operate more like an air taxi.

I meant that they were using general aviation airports that are 100% dedicated to general aviation without passenger terminals. I looked it up and JSX seems to operate more like an air taxi.
again every airport I listed is a JSX destination.

They use the GA ramp and fbo but they operate into what ever airport suits their needs.

Last edited:
I would be surprised that any airport having planes arriving from international destinations (especially Mexico) doesn't do some kind of customs check. Regardless of whether or not they have a terminal, would seem like an obvious loophole for those trying to arrive in the US under false pretenses and/or carrying things that are illegal would exploit.

I would be surprised that any airport having planes arriving from international destinations (especially Mexico) doesn't do some kind of customs check. Regardless of whether or not they have a terminal, would seem like an obvious loophole for those trying to arrive in the US under false pretenses and/or carrying things that are illegal would exploit.
All landing rights airports will have customs in the US.

How closely those agents look into the plane and passengers ……we’ll that gets into discretion

again every airport I listed is a JSX destination.

They use the GA ramp and fbo but they operate into what ever airport suits their needs.
I know my wording was confusing. Not that they were 100% at general aviation airports, but that they were typically using airports that were 100% general aviation. Or the general aviation areas of large airports.

Customs at general aviation facilities is supposed to be mandatory. I rambler season 1 of the Amazon series Jack Ryan had a terrorist arriving in the US on a private plane, and he successfully presented fraudulent passports to a customs agent waiting in a hangar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter