Kona for the plain eater?

katieandemismom

DIS Veteran
Are any of the entrees at Kona "plain" - or boring according to my dh? I prefer steak without marinade / sauce (I have an ulcer that causes problems with several of the main ingredients and would love to be able to order without having to talk to the chef), and I know Kona has an Asian style to it. Will I be safe there (and dh can enjoy himself?).

I've been all over the menu and it sounds great, but..... I'm concerned about whether the prime rib / steak is unseasoned or at least not basted in a seasoning (garlic, soy, etc.), and are the mashed potatoes garlic mashed or plain ones. Sorry - I should have been more specific.

I have a plain eater in my group as well. When we went to Kona, my father requested- a plain steak- just steak- very well done. The chef came out, took his request, and made a delicious plain, boring steak just for my dad. Dad loved it. The rest of us enjoyed our sauces. Kona is one of our favorites!
I am not sure about the potatoes... I think my dad may have substituted fries...

I've found that all the restaurants at WDW are pretty accommodating. DS ate all over the place (including Kona) on our last trip, and had all sauces and such left off. We had no problems ever.

Order your steak "naked". That's what my husband does all the time.

As for the mashed potatoes, ask your server and if those aren't something you can eat, you can substitute ANY side on the menu for them. You can even do fries because they are listed on the kids menu.

Thanks everyone!

It's good to hear I should be okay there. The menu sounds so good, and I really want to eat at the Poly. Dh really wants this meal, but I hate to get somewhere and waste credits to eat chicken fingers off the kids menus (we do a lot of buffets). It sounds like this may be a friendly restaurant for me (I hate having to feel different and drag out a chef simply to ask for plain food - it gets a bit embarassing for an adult - LOL!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter