Knitting in Disneyland

HarryS

Earning My Ears
I just returned from Disneyland where I was told by a totally rude security guard that I could not take knitting needles into the park. After stewing for a day about the way I was treated, I realized that there must not be many people trying to take guns, knives and other real weapons into the park. Seriously, if all the security guards have to do is harass 60 year old, epileptic women who want to just sit and knit dishrags while waiting for her family to enjoy the rides she can't do, are those security guards really needed? We won't even go into the details of what can be taken into the parks hidden in those GINORMOUS strollers that people stock with more supplies than a military unit packs in for maneuvers. Those strollers are barely checked and they get to totally bypass the metal detectors. If I were a terrorist wanting to wreck havoc on Disneyland, I don't think I'd choose to do it with a pair of knitting needles!

That's really disappointing. I took my knitting needles into WDW without issue. They were aluminum circular needles, already in the project (brim of a hat). Were yours straights?

I've never tried at WDW, but I've def taken my crochet hook into IOA when I was pregnant and couldn't go on many rides.
Sorry this happened to you. Would have been a nice way to pass the time.

Those strollers are barely checked and they get to totally bypass the metal detectors.
Actually, strollers are checked very thoroughly. Everything must come out of the bottom basket when going through security. Its a PIA, even though I know totally necessary.

I'm sorry this happened. Back in the early 70's (when daily admission was about $3), we used to go to Magic Kingdom with my grandparents. We would run around the park with grandpa while grandma sat at the covered picnic tables by Dumbo (I did say this was in the early 70's) and knitted. She had her knitting bag with her wherever we went.

I just bought wood needles for flying and for this purpose.
I haven't had any issues on planes (phew!), but I've heard of it happening here and there, even though knitting needles are supposed to be allowed. (It's at the agent's discretion.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter