Kind of a S/O - what do your neighbors hate the most?

You must not have a community facebook page? I wave hi to my neighbors, too, and leave it at that, but I was referring to "neighbors" in a larger sense - like as in the community as a whole. Our town's facebook page is like a bad soap opera.

there is a 'talks' page on fb, but don't really consider that in the context of neighbors

the whining there is awesome and provides hours of entertainment for me
in this context, the best ones are:
middle of the night trains blowing their whistle
bad plowing
mayor sucks
homeless warming shelter needs (which is amazingly supported!)
trains
trains
anyone hiring
lost pets - I love this the most, so many are reunited so quickly
I want a free pet
followed quickly by where can I see a cheap vet (really? if you can't afford the pet...)

very fun entertainment

If the signs in the front yards during campaign season were any indication, I'd say that 99% of my neighbors hate Hillary Clinton.

We have a community Facebook page, and when there are complaints, they're usually along the lines of a bad intersection that the town has no interest in doing anything about; political chicanery involving the state and when (if) they're ever going to do anything about some polluted stretch of land that has been a problem for 30 years; and meth.

Funny Story: A few months ago, someone asked if it was illegal to drive your kid to school on an ATV (4-wheeler). A lot of people were really upset about it, threatening to call the cops and everything. And I'm over here like, "If you've ever dropped your kid off at school on a 4-wheeler, you might be a Redneck."

My community at least does not have a Facebook nor Twitter they do however use social networking site called eNeighbors which is just for our neighborhood. The thing is the HOA board will tell you that eNeighbors is the main source of communication so if you choose not to join or look at it you will miss out on information. A bit more globally they use Nextdoor (which is actually now being used all over the place around me). Nextdoor has my neighborhood, along with 23 or so other neighborhoods in my specific city that I am able to see, the City's government and Police Department and the County government are also on Nextdoor. Having the Police Department on there is absolutely amazing.

Hotbed topics:

*Coyote sightings as well and concern for pets left outside/get outside..there was this one person though not in my neighborhood that went on a "you should really look at debarking your dogs like I did mine for the sake of your neighbors"....she did this multiple times over several months it did not go over well. Google debarking dogs and you'll find out why.

*The new high school being built..that's not the issue but the two roundabouts near them are because well there are still many people who don't utilize them correctly

*What is going in _____...meaning what is being built at a certain place things like banks, food options, other commercial buildings, etc

*When Google fiber was digging 1 1/2 years ago all around our city there was a lot of gripping about damage to people's property but there was also a lot of "is Google Fiber worth it"

*Right now it's come back (it was a hotbed last year around this time as well when they first announced it and started the process) that people are all up in arms about the State's requirement to have pictures taken of your house (eta: just the outside) by the appraiser's office every 6 years...that discussion focused a lot on how property values are calculated and gee why can't they just use Google Street View would save tax payer money (funny how people think every house is on street view..my house completed in Sep 2014 is not on street view and the last time they did street view was in 2013 so yeah no big help there)

Last edited:

This is what is currently being discussed/complained about on our community FB page.

The new roundabout
Proposed golf course clubhouse
New school levy
People not shoveling sidewalks

Funny Story: A few months ago, someone asked if it was illegal to drive your kid to school on an ATV (4-wheeler). A lot of people were really upset about it, threatening to call the cops and everything. And I'm over here like, "If you've ever dropped your kid off at school on a 4-wheeler, you might be a Redneck."
:rotfl2::rotfl:

lost pets - I love this the most, so many are reunited so quickly
OMG that's one of the best things..sure there are plenty of posts about irresponsible pet owners too but it just breaks my heart when I see on the sites that someone's cat or dog got out but there's no doubt about it having the sites has made it possible to reunite owners with their pets and it warms my heart when I see the "OWNER FOUND" or "HE/SHE IS BACK HOME" update :love:

People knocking on their door. Always FB posts letting people know who is out there knocking.

Oh and grainy security camera picks of people going through their car.hello. Lock ur car!

I only have one neighbor with issues, and they hate my dogs when they make any movement. I am always calling them in. I hear other dogs and the neighbors next to them make more noise than my dogs do. There is even a parrot out in the summer right behind that squawks up a storm. Other than than that i never hear a peep out of any of them for anything else.

1) coyote sightings and the occasional "fake puma" sighting -- Last summer someone saw a cat and took a photo that made it look really big. Half the town was convinced it was a puma (which haven't been seen around here in something like 75 years. There was even a TV news story about it.) The "puma" was finally identified as a 17 lb tabby cat from 2 streets over that likes to wander.

2) bad drivers -- "To the lady who just cut me off on XYZ Road because she thought it was more important to be reading a magazine instead of paying attention to the road..."

3) people who don't pick up after their dogs -- it's really ONE particular dog that's a problem and everyone knows whose dog it is, and I don't think that person is even on the site. If they are, they are conveniently oblivious.

4) Lately, school redistricting -- our district passed a levy last year to build a new high school, which is very much needed. The school will open in 2 years and they're drawing up the plans for how boundaries will be redrawn and who will go to which school. The new school is on the east side of the district and we are on the west side, so we will not be going to the new school, but they will be adjusting the boundaries for all schools to try to get semi-even enrollment in all. (That is, they're going to pull kids from the east side of the district into the new school, then backfill all the other schools till they get even numbers in all.) People are losing their minds because nobody wants to be the ones to move.

They're seeking public comment on the 2 final scenarios (the superintendent will make the final scenarios) and people are becoming very awful about why THEY should not be moved and other people should. One scenario has our neighborhood being sent to a different school and one scenario has us staying where we are. I definitely prefer the stay-where-we-are scenario for a variety of reasons (including the fact that they've already said that they're going to open the new school without seniors so all seniors will stay in their current school. I will have a senior and a freshman that year, and it's possible they could end up in 2 different schools. What a pain!) I have filled out the survey with my thoughts and I'm planning to go to the "coffee talk" that the superintendent is hosting. However, *someone* is gong to have to move in all scenarios, so someone is going to be upset.

No HOA and if there's a FB page or website for my neighbourhood, I'm not aware of it. We do have a condo board that oversees our complex. Going by the notices we've received from them since we moved here 2 years ago, I'd say my neighbours hate:
  • Scented laundry products. There is one resident (don't know who) that has requested none of us use any scented laundry soap or fabric softeners because the smell of them coming through the exterior dryer vents bothers him/her.
  • Unsupervised pets running around and digging/pooping in the landscape boxes. I swear to God I didn't make this complaint but I do agree with it 100%
  • Storage in the parking garage. Each unit has titled ownership to our own garage space and storage is permitted. There's one guy though (pretty sure we know who it is) that hates having to look at anybody else's stuff.

Personally, I greatly dislike the "anonymous complaint/mass notice from the condo board" method of resolving conflict with neighbours. If any of the above apply to us we would much rather just have the other party mention it to us so we can try to accommodate their concerns. As it is now, we just blow off the notices.

That we are the last through street between beach & town pier. So we get tons of traffic in the summer

In my community
HOA Board ( no one likes them, but no one else runs)
Kids on their skateboards and scooters
In my Town
The city council
The Sheriff's Office
The Homeless
Our over priced sewer bill *see City Council for more complaints

Yeah, we have a community FB page.
The hot topic the past couple weeks has been:
1) The sound of gunshots. I suspect a few, if not all, are cars backfiring, and maybe the same car!
2) The Sheriff's helicopter flying overhead. Uh, they are doing their job.
3) Speed bumps. Not sure why they are needed since they are so un-repaired potholes you can't drive fast.
4) The center dividers of the main street are being beautified for the third time in 20 years, yet....drum roll, we don't have enough money to fix all the potholes in the same beautiful road.
5) Homeless people. They forced the only recycling center in the community to close to "drive away the homeless". Now the homeless have no place to turn in cans and bottles to get money to get a motel room so they sleep in the parks.

People in my neighborhood are very concerned about house and car break-ins. They do occur far too frequently, so their concerns are not totally unfounded. But sometimes they go overboard with their vigilance. Someone posts, "I just witnessed a driver pull over in front of my house. He sat there for three minutes and looked at his phone before proceeding east down my street. He looked suspicious." Then someone replies, "Oh my that does sound suspicious! Call 911 and report him!" Really? God forbid anyone should need to stop and look up directions while driving through this neighborhood!

1. City folk.
2. People who move here from the city.
3. City folk who have no idea about county ways.
Just send 'em over a nice piece of possum-pie (head and tail included) as a housewarming gift and you'll have those city-slickers all skedaddlin' back where they belong before you know it...:rotfl2:

Yeah, we have a community FB page.
The hot topic the past couple weeks has been:
1) The sound of gunshots. I suspect a few, if not all, are cars backfiring, and maybe the same car!
2) The Sheriff's helicopter flying overhead. Uh, they are doing their job.
3) Speed bumps. Not sure why they are needed since they are so un-repaired potholes you can't drive fast.
4) The center dividers of the main street are being beautified for the third time in 20 years, yet....drum roll, we don't have enough money to fix all the potholes in the same beautiful road.
5) Homeless people. They forced the only recycling center in the community to close to "drive away the homeless". Now the homeless have no place to turn in cans and bottles to get money to get a motel room so they sleep in the parks.
Oh driving away the homeless is the excuse you got? We got told that they were not making enough money in recycling so they closed all the independent ones. The pot holes have been really bad up here too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter