Kids (under 18) KTTW privledges

mammacaryn

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. It has been awhile since we've cruised and I am finding out quite a few things have changed on us. My kids are finally old enough to have a little of their own spending money this time around and I was wondering if DCL had made any changes as to how kids can use their KTTW cards for kids under 18.

I know on our last cruise they could use an actual gift card in the gift shops, but can you apply an actual amount to individual KTTW cards yet or do they still have to be linked to an adults card?

Both their birthdays are before the cruise and I imagine they will be getting some gift cards and I was hoping we'd be able to apply their personal cards to the KTTW card rather than them carrying around gift cards on the ship.

Thanks, I did do some searches but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

Yes when in port they will not be able to make purchases on their card. Go to guest services and they will let you put a certain amount on the card or you can trust them and they will have unlimited amount. Now applying the gift cards to their KTTW card I'm not sure about. Hope this helps!

How old are they? I let my DD have charging privileges on her KTTW card when she was 11 (almost 12) and every cruise since. But she knows she has to get my permission before purchasing anything more than just popcorn outside the theater or a smoothie from the pool deck.

How old are they? I let my DD have charging privileges on her KTTW card when she was 11 (almost 12) and every cruise since. But she knows she has to get my permission before purchasing anything more than just popcorn outside the theater or a smoothie from the pool deck.

They are in that range.
I'm sure I can trust them to follow instructions, but it's more about them managing their own money that they take for that stuff (and not have to ask permission)and me not having to do the math or go get print outs every night to see what they have spent.

I'm 13 and my parents let me have unlimited. I payed them after. (12 on the last cruise). They will do the same for our next Disney Dream cruise. I spent around $80.

I'm not aware of any way to separate out the kids' spending accounts from the adults. I applied my kids' gift cards to the stateroom account, then just had DD keep her receipts. She's conscientious, so she didn't go over her gift card amount, but for a kiddo that might not be - maybe make them aware that you can see exactly how much they're spending and where, since the print-out from guest services will say that alongside their name?

Last I knew DCL did not have a way to apply specific gift cards to specific KTTW cards. If you allow your kids charging privileges, it will be against the stateroom account in general, and not limited to any specific amount. So, yes, you will need to trust them to watch their spending. Or, you can stop by Guest Services and ask for a print out of your account as often as you wish, and you can shut off their charging privileges if not being responsible.

Gift cards can be used in the gift shops, but nowhere else onboard (smoothies, candy/snacks, etc.).

Enjoy your cruise!

An adult still has to take financial responsibility for anyone under 18 that you are going to allow to have charging privileges. You cannot set them up on their own account and apply their gift cards to it to limit what they can spend. So if you allow them to have charging privileges, they have the same spending limit as you do - and whether or not it is tied to a credit card, DCL allows you to have a couple hundred dollars in credit before they will bill credit cards or as for more money on cash accounts. So you need to keep an eye out especially if you are giving children this freedom for the first time.

An adult still has to take financial responsibility for anyone under 18 that you are going to allow to have charging privileges. You cannot set them up on their own account and apply their gift cards to it to limit what they can spend. So if you allow them to have charging privileges, they have the same spending limit as you do - and whether or not it is tied to a credit card, DCL allows you to have a couple hundred dollars in credit before they will bill credit cards or as for more money on cash accounts. So you need to keep an eye out especially if you are giving children this freedom for the first time.

This is how I'd always known it to be as well. BUT, I had read on a blog that you could set a limit for the kids so I didn't know if something had changed and wasn't sure if they were writing for first hand experience or not. This will be our 5th cruise with DCL and we've never allowed them to have access to the account. If they have to just use their gift cards individually that is fine too :)

I didn't do gift cards last time for my kids, but when I did the online check-in, I was able to specify which people in my room were authorized to use which methods of payment in my room. So I put in my Credit Card # and then I said who in my room could use it. In my adult sister's room, she put in one credit card for herself and her husband and a different credit card for my mother, who was staying in their room. I BELIEVE we could have put in gift cards as well as credit cards. Again, all of this was done online before we left for the trip. But I suspect Guest services could do this also. After all, each KTTW card is unique so it should be a simple matter to say which KTTW cards pay from which sources.

I think I have seen other posters here say they have done this with gift cards for their kids. Lets see if any of them can come on and confirm or refute me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter