Kids out of school?

MagicKingdomGirl

Earning My Ears
Do you take your kids out of school so you can visit Disney when it's cooler and not so crowded? I really really want to do this next year, but I'm feeling way guilty - and don't want to teach the kids a bad lesson. But on the other hand, I think - they'll only be kids for so long!!!

Am I worrying too much????? (oh, they'll be in 3rd and 7th grades next year)

We usually always go when our dds are out of school but this year we are taking them out for 4 days so we can go on the DCL for a 3 day cruise. Our dds will be in 3rd and 7th grades too. They are both on the honor roll but even so I was a little nervous about taking our 7th grader out. Then I thought it's only 4 days and that not much in the scheme of things. Hope her teachers feel that way too!! :) I plan to ask for their assignments ahead of time and making sure they are finished by the time they go back to school. Whatever you decide... Hope you have a great trip! :goodvibes

Edited to add that the reason we decided to go during the school year was the same cruise in the beginning of Oct was about $1100 cheaper than the beginning of June.

So long as you think your kids can handle missing the lessons and making up the work, then do it. We've taken our kids out of school annually since they were in preschool. My kids are younger than yours though. They are now in 1st & 4th grade. My kids are good students and have no issue with missing classes for a few days or even a couple of weeks (yes, i have pulled them out a few times for a 2 week trip in the middle of the school year:eek: ). Our vacations might change though in the future. My 4th grader just got into an accelerated program at school this year and we pulled him out for a week late fall. He had a hard time catching up so we're probably not going to be doing trips in the school year anymore. Family time is important to us, but it was quite stressful for ds to play catch up when he got back from our Oct trip.

Thanks for the thoughts - I'm more worried about our 7th grader. BUT, Oct/Nov is sooo much nicer weatherwise (and cheaper!!). Maybe I'll just have to try it once and see how he does.

Oh, guilt guilt guilt :scared:

I'm pulling my son out in October, but he's only 4 and it's preschool. In the future, it would really depend on how they are as students (also have a 2 year old). If either of them are strugglers, we wouldn't consider it. But if they do well, I wouldn't think twice about it - the prices are right and the weather is better.

We have no problems with those who pull their kids out of school for vacation, but dh and I have agreed that we will only do vacations during school break.

You shouldn't have much trouble with a seventh grader if she is good about making up work. It helps if it all possible to ask for the missed assingments before you leave, because then they'll have everything completed and can easily get back on track. I took my DD13 out in February and will again in a few weeks, she did that and had no problem, she was all caught up and didn't have a big work load once we returned. On the other hand my DS17 had tons of work to make up after our vacation (he conveniently "forgot" to ask about getting work ahead of time :headache:).

This is a very tough question for me. My kids are not school-age yet, but dh and I have talked about it and we have decided against it. Simply because I remember that my mom would pull me out EVERY year for our yearly family vacation. And I believe that it contributed to to some bad work habits that I had to resolve in high school and college. I don't want to bring that example to my boys, or have them deal with repurcussions of this in the future.
I do not judge those who do it; to each his own. Each parent has to decide what is best for their family.
Good luck w/ your decision.

We pulled our daughter in April when she was in Kindergarden & this past December when she is in 2nd Grade. She did some homework before we went & was given weekends to make up the rest when we got back.

They are only kids once & fighting the crowds & the heat w/kids isn't fun!

We've taken our kids out more than once but I usually try to time it around teacher workdays or half days to limit what they miss. I've also talked to teachers and asked if we HAD to miss some school, what times of year are better to miss than others. The most popular answer was earlier in the school year but not in the first 4 or 5 weeks. That gives the kids time to get into a routine but they are still in the "reviewing last year's materials" time frame so less to miss out on (my kids are elementary age...that is probably different for high school). The other popular one was right before Christmas break where they are wrapping up and not doing a whole lot (again, little ones who don't have end of semester exams). We get their assignments and make sure we keep up. I always offer to go in and help get the stuff together (make copies etc) for the teacher too.

I am pulling my two older kids out for one day only - the first day back after winter break. This is my first time ever! I struggled with it, but decided that one day wouldn't make that much of a difference. We are going for NYE until Jan 6. We are still staying one day less than our last trip, but hey, gotta compromise! Since my toddler is only in daycare that won't be an issue. I just didn't have the heart to shorten our trip to 5 days! Poor kids - they are heartbroken to miss a day! :rotfl2:

Last Dec we pulled our kids out of school for 3 days prior to Christmas break they are 2nd and 5th graders and are honor roll students. The teachers were actually okay with it and with it being prior to break there's was no make up work. This year in Nov we plan to take them out 1 day prior to Thanksgiving break. I think you just have to plan around them as best you can but sometimes that is not always easy.

I was talking to my friend that teaches middle school, and she was saying that it's really hard on the kids when they miss school in some cases. She said, quite simply, that some kids can handle it and some can't. She said that it's nice when parents try to make it a learning experience. Try to tie Epcot in somehow, etc.

She did suggest that a good time to take them out is over the teacher workdays/conferences. In a couple of our districts they end up with 4 and a half day weekends...if you just took them out a couple of days before something like that, then they wouldn't miss that much.

I would consider doing it in the future, but not sure dh would go for it. His parents never did that kind of stuff!

We pull ours out every year & they miss 5-6 school days.
In 2006, we took 2 WDW trips, & they each missed about 11 days.

I pull myself out as well :teacher:

I am pulling my girls out for a week. They are in kindergarten and second grade. Both their teachers are very supportive and excited for them. My younger daughter is autistic and her teacher understands how important it is to take her when the crowds are lighter. She also believes she will have more spontaneous language opportunities at Disney than she would ever have in the classroom. They are both doing well in school and will catch up quickly.

Before doing it I would check your district's policy on unexcused absences. I know where I live they're really strict about it. From previous posts on this subject I know other states/districts are too.

For our district if your child has more than 10 unexcused absences in a year they have to repeat the grade, no matter what their ultimate grade is. The teachers do not have to give/accept any make-up work for unexcused absences, resulting in zeros for everything missed. If you have more than 5 unexcused absences you may receive a visit from the truant officer and/or court action.

For us its compounded by the problem that my children have block scheduling (middle and high school) so missing one day is actually like missing two days.

Prior to No Child Left Behind (and the above stance on unexcused absences by our district) I did take my kids out when they were in grade school. The teachers were great about it and the kids grades never suffered.

Do you take your kids out of school so you can visit Disney when it's cooler and not so crowded? I really really want to do this next year, but I'm feeling way guilty - and don't want to teach the kids a bad lesson. But on the other hand, I think - they'll only be kids for so long!!!

Am I worrying too much????? (oh, they'll be in 3rd and 7th grades next year)
Yes, you are worrying too much!! lol!! We have taken our kids out 3 times and it was no big deal. Go and have fun! I am going to give you fair warning though, this is a HOT Button issue on these boards and there is a "moral majority" here on the board who will tell you it is bad parenting, irresponsible, bad example, blah, blah, blah... Don't let them get to you.

Lots of kids in our school district are taken out for family vacations...we do it, too!

Last year my daughter was in 2 community theatre productions and had to miss a good bit of school during those performances so the shows could be put on for school field trips.
I told her teacher I was concerned about pulling her out so much, and the teacher said this:

"School is very important, but there are lessons in life you can't learn in a classroom. Being part of a community play is a huge learning experience, as is traveling with your family. In the big picture, missing a few days of school for these experiences means nothing. Don't worry about it."

Since my kids are great students, I decided to live by this philosophy! :)

Also, pre-excused family vacations are considered excused absences in our district.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter