Kids meals at TS big enough for a hungy kid?

Huff

DIS Veteran
Are the kids meals enough for a hungry kid? We have a 10yr old that doesn't do well with skimpy kids meals at most local restaurants. But she often won't be able to eat an adult size meal and prefers burgers, nuggets etc. anyways.

How large are kids meals at say Coral Reef, San Angel, Marakesh, Wave or Kona or ?

My 10 yo ds eats the adult portions. The kiddie plates just don't cut it any more. But he has an adventurous palate and likes trying new things.

Are you on the dining plan or paying OOP? I know that you can sometimes request a kiddie meal and they will give you an adult size portion (with the adult sized price if your going OOP or the adult dining credit on the plan). And actually, if you're on DDP, she will be an "adult" anyway.

your 10yr old cant order kids menu items.

Yes, if you pay cash, they can order whatever they want. Older teens & adults are permitted to order from the kid menu too.

The kids meals are pretty small. My dd wasn't a big eater and wasn't satisifed with them at age 8.

the kids meals are really small (and boring ) for my ds10. He will often order either a salad and a kids meal, or two adult apps or an adult dinner and have a little leftover.

Some retaurants are very accomodating for those who like kids meal but bigger appetite. I remeber Coral Reef/Mama Melrose served kids meal in adult serving sizes to table next to us who had dining plan. If you are paying OOP, you might have to ask for the price. But I know that kids meal portion is not that big. It was just good portions for DS 7 and he's very skinny and doesn't eat much.

We'll be on the DDP in Feb with DD8. I plan on giving her some of my meal (along with hers) both to fill up and to try new things.

I'll also share half (if not all of my dessert) since I don't like to stuff myself and then walk the parks.

The kids meals may be enough for my oldest, but I think some days it will not be enough. Also, she is getting older and likes grown up foods more. She was never really in to fast food type food (which can make it hard when we travel. She won't eat hamburgers, does not like chicken nuggets, is so-so on hot dogs and mac and cheese), either. She will be 9 when we travel, so we decided to upgrade her to the adult dining plan. I called yesterday, and the CM wasn't sure if we could do that, so he talked to his supervisor who said sure.

I think most of the TS are meals are a good size, however the CS kids meals are a joke. Most people scour the menus pretrip to pick out what sounds good to them-I scour to know who offers a kids meal that will actually be enough to feed them. I know it is hard to believe but an uncustable and a handfull of grapes are not nearly enough for a 9 y/o boy.:lmao:

I don't think Disney kids meals are designed for the average 10 year old. They're based on the preferences of much younger children. Not great for the 9 year old on the dining plan who has to order them.

They're small...but you might be able to ask for a larger portion. There's been some stuff out that Disney wants to position itself as concerned about childhood obesity...plus, the child's dining plan is quite inexpensive. That all leads to them providing smaller portions and limited menus for kids.

I don't have an issue with the amount of food my kids get (but they are younger). For us, the issue is that my kids love "adult" food! I already know when I get to Captain's Grille, my kids will eat my seafood and I will end up with nada LOL

My son outgrew the kids meals at 8, and at 9 was eating his kids meal plus a good share of my adult choices. My daughter was still okay with kids meal quantities at 9 though she was very bored with the food selections. I really think the kids meals are designed for the 5-to-7 set and older kids are likely to be unhappy with them for one reason or another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter