Keeping cool

pickers1982

DIS Veteran
We have our first summer trip coming up this year and starting to shop in preparation. Not a huge fan of heat ( I don't hate heat but would rather sit in the shade if that makes sense) so will be doing plenty to keep cool. Any tips? Particularly on clothing and footwear

Avoid black, avoid heavy cotton t-shirts and definitely avoid tops which are of the football-shirt type material (they might be cool but they don't half pong when they are sweaty!). For ladies, either vest tops or thin cotton, light-coloured t-shirts. For men, sports type tops or, again, thin cotton.

We always wear sandals, rather than the recommended trainers and socks (although that is what my 15 year old son insists on wearing - he is too cool for sandals apparently :cool: )

I'd say wear trainers, especially if you are a shade dweller like my husband and I. Nothing worse than sunburn on the top of your feet!

I tend to go for poly or poly-cotton. Yes, it can smell but if you can wash them every day, they dry in no time. If you're fair skin I'd say a top with shoulder covering - short or capped sleeves. Anything pointing directly up will burn first - top of head (if not covered with hair or hat, shoulders, tops of feet.

Don't forget a hat, or a visor if your head gets too hot for a hat but you don't like squinting.

We take chamois when we go to Florida. They are the towels that you see divers like Tom Daley using to try off between dives and similar to what you dry your car off with. They are just synthetic material and hold moisture really well. Store them in a ziplock bag so they don't try out, then when you get too hot you can just run them under some cool water, wring them out a bit, then put them around your neck to cool you down. We got ours a number of years ago from eBay - got 4 for about £10 I think. They are also perfect for the water parks as they dry you off really well and don't have to lug a giant bath towel around.

i wear trainers and a good pair of sweat absorbing socks...
for clothes i only wear 100% cotton..

and then be ready to sweat your guts out....it's frigging hot there...and humid....it's not just the heat that kills you in orlando, it's the humidity....
100% humidity is way more than the human body was built for..

and drink drink drink drink drink....and i don't mean alcohol - which is the worst thing you can drink in heat..
no i mean, cold drinks....mainly water, but if you can't stand water, than coke or whatever...but drink and drink and drink..

and know that you're going to have a sheen of sweat all over your body....just be one with it....

But don't drink TOO MUCH water just plain as this will cause you to pee more and actually become dehydrated. If you do start to become dehydrated add some sugar and salt to some water (basically what's in dyhydration sachets)

I know you are probally talking about Orlando but Im from Ireland and have been going to Disneyland California every June for the last number of years. I typically spend about 14 hours per day in the parks.

I wear well wore sketchers runners and socks for the parks. You dont realise it but standing and walking on that baking hot concrete really does leave your feet in bits. The concrete absorbs the heat and for those of us from UK and Ireland our feet and legs are just not used to that. Every night after a park day, no matter how late, I always take a bath. You have no idea how good it feels to soak the aching feet. I use a foot file in the bath, which really gives my sore feet a good massage. You might also be unlucky enough to get Disney legs. This is an itchy red rash on calf's caused by walking and standing on the hot concrete. Use an over the counter antihistamine if this happens.
foot-file-article.jpg

I wear black leggings from Primark with a loose oversized t shirt or spaghetti strap style top. I bring a light shrug to cover my arms and shoulders during the hottest part of the day from 12pm to 4pm.

download.jpg

I have a very small backpack which is just big enough to hold 2 bottles of water, my sunscreen, money etc. I found having a large or medium sized backpack or an over the shoulder bag far too uncomfortable in the heat so over the years I have downsized and downsized and now just have something around this size
0D1FE3FFB9E2D601BF28394A62A3A31E.jpg

I wear Boots Soltan Factor 50 on both my face and body. I reapply about every 2 hours. I find a restroom and splash cold water on my face and wrists to cool down. I have travel size packet of facewipes in my bag and I clean my face and underarms. I reapply my sunscreen and deodorant. You would be amazed at the difference that 5 minute freshen up makes.

I also have a hand held fan in my bag, like this. Some people use a battery fan, but I have found this works really well, especially when you are in a hot queue waiting for a ride.

71NKlXVpLTL._SL1500_.jpg

I plan my park days well. I do as much rides as I can between opening and lunch time. Between 12.30pm and 4.30pm, the hottest part of the day I do indoors stuff, table service meal, shopping, shows or just find a shady or indoors place to sit and read a book or people watch.

I alternate between drinking water and coke/ fanta/ gaterade. Gatorade is kinda like the Lucozade brand, they have different flavours but I usually stick to the Isotonic one to replace the salts and sugars in my body as I sweat so much. Its really important to stay hydrated, our Irish /UK bodies are just not used to be so active in that high heat. And yes I find I pee more often that I would at home.

I used to wear a large sun hat but I found it too much trouble. Im a small person and I would have to take it off to talk to people as my eye level is lower. Then there was the issue of how to carry it when I wasnt wearing it. Now I just wear sunglasses and no hat. I am just very aware of making sure my face is well protected by sunscreen.

Do your shopping at the end of the day. The shops in Disney stay open to park closing and they restock through out the day. In Disney they put your shopping into plastic bags. Carrying even one or two plastic shopping bags in the heat gets uncomfortable real fast. The plastic just makes your hands sweat more and then they bang off your legs and it just makes you irritable. If you have to buy something during the day, rent a locker and store it instead of lugging it around in the heat.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

We ll be staying at bc. I take it most people head to hotels in the afternoon. If so what time? And do you normally swim or nap or go shopping?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

We ll be staying at bc. I take it most people head to hotels in the afternoon. If so what time? And do you normally swim or nap or go shopping?

it really depends....when it's just DH, me, DD and DSIL, we can go the whole day in the parks, even in july - but ONLY if we stop for a long air conditioned table service lunch...

when we're with DS, DDIL and the two toddlers (as we were in august), then we break right after lunch and head back to the resort....
we take a break and then swim at about 4 pm....but that's with toddlers....not with adults..

the 4 PM also has a caveat....4 PM is often the hour of the orlando downpour accompanied by the most insane lightening known to man...
so if there's thunder/lightening, obviously you can't go swimming...however, if it's clear that's when we go....the sun isn't quite as hard at that hour..

oh....another thing....it's not just the heat you need to be careful of.....the sun.....USE SUNSCREEN!!! put it on first thing in the morning, and keep reapplying it throughout the day if you sweat it off....that sun will burn you in the blink of an eye so be careful.....
you'll see lots of burned people at WDW....red as apples...or lobsters....it's especially dangerous to those with very lightskin......so be careful...and use sunscreen!!!

by the way, i say all of this as someone who lives in a very hot climate....hotter actually than orlando....though we don't have the 100% humidity orlando does...
but our sun is just as hot (hotter i think) and we can burn in the blink of an eye...but of course, when we're at home we don't walk around in the midday sun for hours....("mad dogs and englishmen")... the point is, you have to be very careful....both the heat and the sun....one will dehydrate and overheat you, the other will burn you to a crisp.....you've probably paid a fortune for this holiday and planned forever for it....don't let a nasty burn ruin it for you...

We suffered less in Florida than resorts in the Med - so if you have been to Spain or places like Cyprus in summer, just do what you did there.

I found Cyprus more oppressive than Florida to be honest, and both visits to Florida have been start of July, the hottest part of the year.

But drink plenty of water, and make sure you get plenty of rest for legs. My wife suffered with a bad case of 'Disney rash' (the name the local doctors give it!) where she got a bad rash all up her legs, which we sought some medical advice for. It was down to dehydration, and standing long periods in lines.

thanks. all very good tips. the thunderstorms will be a new for me.

we have a 3 and 6 year old so would rather be more relaxed than risk doing too much.

if you head back to the resort do you just freshen up and watch tv?

whats the best material to where. trying to get some linen t shirts but not much luck.

thanks. all very good tips. the thunderstorms will be a new for me.

we have a 3 and 6 year old so would rather be more relaxed than risk doing too much.

if you head back to the resort do you just freshen up and watch tv?

whats the best material to where. trying to get some linen t shirts but not much luck.

when we went back to the resort, the younger toddler had to have a nap, so sometimes we took the older toddler (he was 3, the younger one was 2) to the swimming pool for a swim.
he's a very active child, so doesn't really have much downtime (the younger is the opposite).

after the swim, the two of them would watch tv (watching american tv was exciting for them!!)
and then sometimes their parents (my son and daughter in law) would either bring them back to the park, or take them to disney spring, or take them to something at the resort (like community hall - we were at SSR)
then they'd have dinner and were in bed by 7 pm....my son is very strict about their bedtime, including on vacation.

sometimes we babysat so the 4 kids (what i call kids - my son and daughter in law, and my daughter and son in law) could go back to the parks for the fireworks etc)...

the toddlers were never up late at night - my son is very strict about that. i think the latest thing they saw was rivers of light at animal kingdom (not worth it) and the pixar concert at DHS (totally worth it for these toddlers who are very into music - not surprising as their aunt and uncle are both professional musicians (my daughter and son in law).

anyway, you'll kind of have to play it by ear...
i would suggest you create a draft day by day schedule....not something cast in stone....keep in mind that you can change it when you're there..
but a schedule so that you have an idea now where you're thinking of being and the order you'd like to do the attractions..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter