Keeping Cool

wdwjenny

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever tried the Handy Cooler? We'll be in WDW toward the end of June and I'm trying to prepare myself for the heat! If anyone has any tips for keeping cool please let me know! Thanks:)

We have a item called a cool collar,you can find them around craft fairs alot, you soak them in water for awhile then put in the fridge, we leave them in over night then just wrap them around your neck nice and cool. they last awhile we carry a small backpack cooler and have back up ones just incase.

I take a hand towel from the room, wet it and hang it around the straps on my backpack..throughout the day, I rewet it and I feel refreshed for hours..plus, I get to wipe the grim off my face..if it's real hot..I place it around my neck while watching a show or waiting for a ride...I have done this for years....

I bought one of these after a recommendation from this site. However, once you factor in Florida summer temps with their humidity, it's just not worth it. You're only going to cool the air about 3 degrees. Not enough in my opinion, so I sent it back.

I think it's a great little product and if you were going somewhere with warm temps but low humidity it would be ideal. We just don't experience that combination enough to make it worth while.

I bought a couple mister fans and going to go the wet bandanna route and hope that'll be enough to keep us cool. I also picked up a couple of those squeeze and shake instant cool packs for just in case.

I bought one of these after a recommendation from this site. However, once you factor in Florida summer temps with their humidity, it's just not worth it. You're only going to cool the air about 3 degrees. Not enough in my opinion, so I sent it back.

I think it's a great little product and if you were going somewhere with warm temps but low humidity it would be ideal. We just don't experience that combination enough to make it worth while.

I bought a couple mister fans and going to go the wet bandanna route and hope that'll be enough to keep us cool. I also picked up a couple of those squeeze and shake instant cool packs for just in case.

Thanks! That's what I couldn't decide...if it was going to do any good with the humidity. I'll have to look into those sqeeze and shake cook packs I've never seen them!

Nothing really prepared us for the heat/humidity the first time we went to WDW in 1981! Wow! :scared1: It gets pretty hot and humid here in the Philly 'burbs in the summer, but I guess the difference is we just deal with it and really just don't spend a lot of time outside when the temps are that high - unless we're in the pool! ;) Standing in line in the heat can really take a toll on you. :headache:

Dress in light colors - including any hats you might wear - you will feel a lot cooler! I love black, but WDW in Summer is not the time to wear it! :sad2:
Wear - and re-apply often - SPF of at least 30. Don't forget the back of your neck and the top of your feet. You might try the "cool spray" versions that give you a quick shot of aaahhh! :woohoo:
Stay hydrated with water; avoid soda. Try Crystal Light or something similar for taste. Freeze your water bottles the night before so they stay cooler longer.
Bring some old wash cloths with you, freeze them and put them in a baggie to use at will for quick cool-downs. Or, bring a personal fan with a mister - you'll be REAL popular while waiting in line!;)
Eat lightly; salads, sandwiches, fruit,....ice cream! :goodvibes
Try to take a mid-day break if possible. Head to your hotel pool, take a nap, eat at a resort, head to a water park. You can return to the park refreshed and energized.
Don't stress too much about it. WDW is so wonderful, it (almost) makes me forget the temps! :rotfl:

I AM TAKING the single wet wipes, citrus scented. I will put them in the freezer the night before-- and store then in the small cooler we are taking. When its time to wipe down to keep cool-- im sure these will do the job without a lot of space.

I take a hand towel from the room, wet it and hang it around the straps on my backpack..throughout the day, I rewet it and I feel refreshed for hours..plus, I get to wipe the grim off my face..if it's real hot..I place it around my neck while watching a show or waiting for a ride...I have done this for years....

Exactly what i have done for years too..:goodvibes

Along the lines of sunscreen, do not forget your legs! Especially when you're sitting down on rides that are out in the sun. And if you're wearing sandals put some on the top of your feet!

I just picked up little personal misters for each of my kids from the dollar section at Target (I think they were $2.50). I tried one out last night and it worked really well – I’m planning that we can refill them at water fountains.

I just bought Cool Downz Wraps from QVC to try around this summer if they work I will bring them to Florida to Oct. for hotdays. If they work I will post it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter