Katsura Grill Review - Epcot 2/24

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
DH and I wanted to catch the last day of the Art Festival and have lunch and just stroll around. There was also a Princess run going on...

So we arrived around 10:30 ... Lets just say the parking was a complete nightmare, and I felt terrible for the poor CM trying to direct the cars coming into the park, and the cars from the run trying to get out, as well as the runners and their entourages moving through the parking lot, and other guest trying to get in the park, and the trams were not in service... not sure why... at one point I thought we should just go home this is nuts... We finally clear the pass holder ticket line at around noon...

We decided to take the boat over to the world showcase, and we both were getting hungry... and decided on Katsura Grill... its been years and years since we have sat down and eaten a meal here... We have sat outside a shared some sushi and had Kirin beer or plum wine... it has been a while though...

DH and I shared a California roll, I was surprise at the amount - 8 pieces - 9.00 for some reason I was thinking like 4 or 6 pieces.. It was very good and DH commented that was probably the same as the California roll at Teppan Edo...

DH decided on the Chicken and Beef teriyaki 12.00 - It is accompanied steamed rice and a mixed garden salad...
the plate was full of food... the beef was shredded which was different than DH expected, he said it was quite good and I did taste it and it had a great flavor.. for the Chicken maybe 4 or 5 pieces, he said... not great but definitely above average... the rice was more of a sticky sweet rice... not to sweet though... DH prefers a more savor rice, and was really please that this was what he called "just right rice" the salad was a basic green salad with a ginger dressing.

For me I went with the Shrimp and Chicken Teriyaki 14.00 It is accompanied steamed rice and a mixed garden salad... - my plate was very full of food as well. I was surprised at the amount of shrimp I think 4 or 5 pieces, one of the pieces was hidden under my salad, and around 5 pieces of chicken... I really liked the rice, I am a more sticky sweet rice kinda girl... as far as the salad, It was very fresh, and crisp.. for me personally I would have liked a bit more dressing on the salad, but that's just me...

The service at the counter was spot on, and we waited only like a couple of minutes for our food...

The interior was very clean, condiment station was full and clean as well... the outside area was clean, we did notice that other guest seen to leave their trash behind after eating, and someone was constantly cleaning that area... Not sure if they could not seem to find a trash can or what... I will say that the inside is close quarters...this is not a spot if you are looking to have some space, or if you are not one to enjoy sitting close with the next table almost rubbing elbows, then eating outside might be a better solution.

Overall it was a good filling lunch, and a spot that we are going to put back on our radar.

Thanks for taking one for the team:).
Never eaten the teriyaki at KG but have enjoyed some of the udon dishes.
I love the walk up to the eatery; great landscaping.

Last edited:
I've only had the udon here. Two years ago, they had a cold udon special with tempura shrimp when it was hot and humid in Sept. That was good and I asked for the tempura on the side so wouldn't be soggy. The gardens are gorgeous and if you visit when the temperature is doable, a beautiful and relaxing outside place to eat. Inside is good for AC but not much else.

During Christmas 2018, we found the grill to be a great escape from the crowds after attending the Candlelight Procession around 8pm. Don't get me wrong, it was busy and tables were full, but people were also coming and going. Cool evening and a nice bowl of Beef Udon & sushi enjoyed at an indoor corner table warmed us all up and provide us all a highly enjoyable meal. We returned the next day for a lunch enjoyed outside during a beautiful day. we have always enjoyed dining here, but can easily be overlooked.

We have always loved their Teriyaki. Really miss the salmon Teriyaki, but the shrimp is a fair replacement. Love the gardens!!!

I guess I'm in the minority here but after hearing good things about this place, I gave it a go but it's been years ago now. I was trying some of the quick service places since I was on a solo trip. I thought KG was on par with the Asian foods you get in the mall food court. I was at least hoping for something along the lines of hibachi take out but not even close! That was the trip when I realized that the majority of the world must have "baby mouth", because every counter service place sold the most bland food I had ever eaten. This includes the beloved fish and chips from England. It was completely tasteless and you should have seen me sitting there dousing everything with as much vinegar and tartar sauce that I could trying to give it some sort of flavor. :idea:lol I've since learned that outside is tilapia (the mildest fish on the planet) and inside the restaurant is the traditional cod. HUGE difference I guess! I spent the trip wishing I had just forked over 10 to 15 more dollars for a TS restaurant because I could've had a decent meal instead of eating and feeling unsatisfied. If I remember correctly, I ended up at KG because I had just had the fish and chips and literally felt like I got zero out of the meal and was still hungry. (if I had a pic of Debbie Downer here I'd stick it in. lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!