JW Marriott Grande Lakes or Doubletree Disney Springs?

Immadismom

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting during the last week of June for a training conference DH is attending. The conference is hosted at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes. His company will pay for our room there. We are a family of 5. So, we will either need to pay for an extra room there for 6 nights, or we can get a suite at the Doubletree Disney springs fully paid for by his company, with no extra room needed.

I am planning on purchasing 3 day passes to go to MK, Epcot & Hollywood Studios.

Trying to weigh the pros & cons of each hotel. We will have a rental car, and it seems that both hotels offer park shuttles. It seems the benefits of EMH and 60 day FPs will sway us to the Doubletree. But my concern is for the days we don’t do the parks. JW Marriott appears to have a phenomenal pool area that we could spend 1 or 2 days at. Is that worth the cost of 6 nights for the extra room?

Everyone values their money a little differently. That said, I picked a random 6-night stay in June at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes. The cheapest refundable/changeable rate for a room with two queen beds is $228/night plus $35 resort fee. That ends up being $1,775 with tax.

$1,775 versus free. That's a very easy decision for me.

Granted, you probably will get a discounted rate because your husband's meeting is at the hotel. Still, it's not going to be anywhere near free. If having fun in water is important, you could add a day or two at a Disney water park and still be hundreds of dollars ahead.
-----
That said, make sure you understand the differences between the properties. The JW Marriott Grand Lakes is a resort with that impressive pool and lots of amenities. I haven't stayed overnight, but I visited it when it first opened and I was very impressed. It has earned a AAA Four-Diamond rating. From working in the hotel industry, I can tell you that earning that rating is not easy.

The DoubleTree Suites is just a hotel. It has a very basic pool, one restaurant, and a basic workout room. But, it's a solid hotel that has a AAA Three-Diamond rating. Personally, I've spent somewhere close to 100 nights there in the past 5ish years. The staff is great. The suites are nicely maintained but not luxurious. Best of all, it's within walking distance to both the Marketplace at Disney Springs as well as off-site restaurants that charge closer to "normal" prices and not theme park prices.

Be sure to investigate the shuttle set-up. Since the JW Marriott is so far from Disney, I'd guess that their shuttle only operates on a limited schedule. That type of set-up works for some people, but not for others. The DoubleTree Suites runs shuttle every 30 minutes all day long. More information on that shuttle can be round here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-springs-hotels-bus-information.3653605/

That's my take. Hopefully other people will provide their opinions.

Everyone values their money a little differently. That said, I picked a random 6-night stay in June at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes. The cheapest refundable/changeable rate for a room with two queen beds is $228/night plus $35 resort fee. That ends up being $1,775 with tax.

$1,775 versus free. That's a very easy decision for me.

Granted, you probably will get a discounted rate because your husband's meeting is at the hotel. Still, it's not going to be anywhere near free. If having fun in water is important, you could add a day or two at a Disney water park and still be hundreds of dollars ahead.
-----
That said, make sure you understand the differences between the properties. The JW Marriott Grand Lakes is a resort with that impressive pool and lots of amenities. I haven't stayed overnight, but I visited it when it first opened and I was very impressed. It has earned a AAA Four-Diamond rating. From working in the hotel industry, I can tell you that earning that rating is not easy.

The DoubleTree Suites is just a hotel. It has a very basic pool, one restaurant, and a basic workout room. But, it's a solid hotel that has a AAA Three-Diamond rating. Personally, I've spent somewhere close to 100 nights there in the past 5ish years. The staff is great. The suites are nicely maintained but not luxurious. Best of all, it's within walking distance to both the Marketplace at Disney Springs as well as off-site restaurants that charge closer to "normal" prices and not theme park prices.

Be sure to investigate the shuttle set-up. Since the JW Marriott is so far from Disney, I'd guess that their shuttle only operates on a limited schedule. That type of set-up works for some people, but not for others. The DoubleTree Suites runs shuttle every 30 minutes all day long. More information on that shuttle can be round here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-springs-hotels-bus-information.3653605/

That's my take. Hopefully other people will provide their opinions.

Thank you! As you said, it’s so hard to pass up free. Of course, the amenities at the JW Marriott property are a huge draw. Our teens would love the pool area. However, a basic pool, along with the access to DS and Marketplace would also be a big draw for them.

Right now, I’m leaning toward the DoubleTree suites. DH is voting for the JW Marriott, as it’s much more luxurious than we’d normally choose for a family vacation. However, while he’s in training during the mornings, I’ll be the one herding everyone to the parks on the shuttles.

JW Marriott is a beautiful property. I would pick that. BUT To be that close to Disney Springs would be nice. I just know J.W. Marriott is pretty luxurious.

Thank you! As you said, it’s so hard to pass up free. Of course, the amenities at the JW Marriott property are a huge draw. Our teens would love the pool area. However, a basic pool, along with the access to DS and Marketplace would also be a big draw for them.

Right now, I’m leaning toward the DoubleTree suites. DH is voting for the JW Marriott, as it’s much more luxurious than we’d normally choose for a family vacation. However, while he’s in training during the mornings, I’ll be the one herding everyone to the parks on the shuttles.

TEENS? Doubletree is not just Disney Springs but with that extra money saved ...

- use resort days to go to the Water Parks ::yes::
- they should love The Void in Disney Springs
- and there is bowling, movies ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter