Just whining with other solo travelers - what would you do?

kwdw

DIS Veteran
Okay - I am SO in need of another solo trip to Disney (I've done 15+) - but I want shows, parades, dining back to normal (I kind of hate mobile ordering), and more resorts to be OPEN again. Any guesses how long I need to wait? I've been debating about booking a room for late fall (November 1- Dec 20) and playing a bit more of a wait and see game if everything I want will be back by then. I've been "waiting" for news for things to be more normal before booking. If you booked something before things were as "normal" as you wanted - what made you decide to do that? I'm torn between getting my hopes up and having them dashed because there's not enough normalcy for me to judge the trip to be financially worth it - and just booking and accepting whatever it is, it is. The live shots of walkways folks post make the place look as full as normal - but there's still stuff missing. Sigh.,...

I was there in April solo and will be back in Sept. with my son, his SO and their 5 month old daughter. I loved it.

Caveat: I don't watch parades unless one is passing when I'm passing and I can't get by. I rarely watch many stage shows although I do enjoy Lion King, Nemo (I'm in the minority there), Indiana Jones and occasionally Frozen if I'm in between things at HS. I don't watch the one on the main stage at MK unless I'm passing by and it's happening. I rarely watch the night time shows now because they are mostly projection based and I'm height challenged. Even if I get there a hour early and get a good spot, a tall man will get in front of me or a dad will put a kid on his shoulders and I can't see anything but the fireworks. I like fireworks but they don't often make sense if you can't see the projection. I do like Fantasmic every once in a while, not every trip and really liked the filler Epcot show, especially the kites. I don't do meet and greets ever and avoid character meals. I don't eat a buffets because I don't eat enough to justify the cost. We rarely booked FPs when they were available, don't like being tied down to a schedule and since we have been going since long before FPs we are just used to waiting in line. We are not ride centric so if we ride a ride, fine, if not no big deal. We rarely book ARs in advance, usually just day of while walking around, which I was able to do in April with no problems - I always have park hoppers so am not tied down to finding something to eat in a specific park. We rarely eat QS, we do every once in awhile but prefer to just snack around instead of fighting the QS crowds.

So, for me, right now without shows, FPs, moble ordering and not a lot of restaurants open, didn't really effect my experience. If anything, it was better since I could go at my own pace and just not worry about getting somewhere at a specific time.

Personally I think 95%+ of stuff will be back by your dates. The trouble with waiting is it will only get harder as choices dwindle for booking. When the fireworks at MK/EP return on July 1st more people will become aware that WDW has picked up the pace getting full operations functioning again, creating more interest and competition for future bookings.

At the rate Disney World is increasing park capacity, bringing back the College program and other employees, Fireworks, some shows, and hotels and dining locations opening back up, I pretty sure by the end of this year Disney will be back to normal or VERY close to it like 90-95%. Given they are having a big 50th celebration, I am sure Disney will have most things back by then.

The only thing Disney might hold off on for a while is Character Meet & Greets just due to cast member safety and comfort levels with meeting guests who may not be vaccinated or willing to wear a mask while meeting characters.

Okay - I am SO in need of another solo trip to Disney (I've done 15+) - but I want shows, parades, dining back to normal (I kind of hate mobile ordering), and more resorts to be OPEN again. Any guesses how long I need to wait? I've been debating about booking a room for late fall (November 1- Dec 20) and playing a bit more of a wait and see game if everything I want will be back by then. I've been "waiting" for news for things to be more normal before booking. If you booked something before things were as "normal" as you wanted - what made you decide to do that? I'm torn between getting my hopes up and having them dashed because there's not enough normalcy for me to judge the trip to be financially worth it - and just booking and accepting whatever it is, it is. The live shots of walkways folks post make the place look as full as normal - but there's still stuff missing. Sigh.,...
It's hard for us to say for sure obviously, but I will say that I think Disney will try to have things as back to "normal" as possible before the 50th celebration starts on October 1st. I'm hoping it happens soon!

Disney recovery will be slow people. If it's a perk or good value or popular it probably is not coming back soon or ever. I'm a downer.

For me, I just like being there. I am happy going into a park, walking around, going on a couple of rides, sitting with a snack, and just breathing. Going to WDW, even without everything back is still 100% better then going to work. If I ever felt disappointed with what I got out of my trips, then I would not go. So if you are someone that needs all of things to be happy with your trip, then hold off. I am grateful that we are all healthy and happy and in a position that I can go to WDW.

would go with your early Nov dates - you don't want to be at WDW during the Christmas weeks - or Thanksgiving for that matter. that say make sure you can a park reservation - assuming you have your tickets - here that Oct was already sold out.

I left Disney last week, they are moving towards normal. SLOWLY, it was over all a good trip..
I think as more of the cast member get vaccinated they will go back to normal.

I went in May and had a great time. Your trip will be what you make of it, regardless of what is open/closed. For example, no nighttime fireworks gave me more time to relax and explore the monorail resorts at night.

Needless to say, by late Fall, I'm betting that a majority of the experience will be back to "normal", or at least a slightly modified version of it.

I've become disenchanted right now with Disney World. My favorite has always been the street entertainment especially in World Showcase. I think it may take a very long time for this to come back. There are a few shows coming back but not enough for me.

It's getting better but it's just not enough for me. I miss character meet and greets, too. If you can be satisfied with a lesser experience go for it.

I am pretty sure that most of the open resorts - already are full for the anniversary at least Oct and Nov. I would definitely expect for the anniversary the street performers will be back. It goes all year.

Do what I am doing.... Wait for it to come back. Don't be to worried about the 50th, I went to Disneyland's, the holiest of holy destinations and was completely disappointed. (maybe just me) I saw it as a meaningless celebration that only existed to make more people come to it. Nothing really happened that wasn't there after anyway and the crowds made it practically impossible to really fully participate in very much of it.

Your whining (without the fermented grapes) is on all of our Don't Do Lists. All we can & are doing is booking our on-site resorts for late April, 2022, and trying not to overthink the future. We are also buying the Travel Insurance. Enjoy the Magic Dreams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter