Just rode Pirates of the Caribbean!

We were there Saturday. POTC was open every time we checked and seemed to have about a 25 min wait most of the day and through emh. We were in the front row (not by choice! ) and also got more wet than we did on Splash mountain. The ride overall was fun and definitely an improvement over the experience and quality prior to refurb.

I'm interested in seeing the updates. I rode back in May before the refurb started, and THEN rode the DL version this summer. WOW! The difference was crazy!

DH and I rode on Friday 9/26...
We walked right on. It's been so long since we've rode it, I can't really tell if there were any changes to any of the scenes. The boat looked different. We were in the second row and I didn't see our boat take on any water and we came out dry. We had a smooth ride until we got to the part where its "a pirates life for me" our boat was stuck there for about 10 minutes. Finally got moving only to be about 2 inches from the exit and the boats stopped again. We sat there for about another 10 minutes, while they stopped and restarted the ride. Our boat was kept entertained by the boat in front of us. A group of ladies decided to sing Row, Row, Row Your Boat and If Your Happy and You Know It:headache:......we knew going in there might be some issues but after that DH and I decided that would be our last Pirates ride for our vacation.

Today was the last day of our Disney trip and we stopped by PotC at 9:30pm just to see if they were letting anybody on. We ended up getting a ride on the first boat! It was great!!!

Thanks to you guys here who many weeks ago suggested to keep an eye out for a soft opening!

We rode POTC the same day you did.. We were walking by POTC from BTMRR (around 9:15 pm) and saw a small line with the doors open but the rope being up still. The CM kept talking on the phone then grabbed the pirate flag and told us to follow her. When we got to the end the CM that has you disembark the ride said "I didn't know anyone was on the ride until you all got here". lol. A little bit of pixie dust.

We rode POTC the same day you did.. We were walking by POTC from BTMRR (around 9:15 pm) and saw a small line with the doors open but the rope being up still. The CM kept talking on the phone then grabbed the pirate flag and told us to follow her. When we got to the end the CM that has you disembark the ride said "I didn't know anyone was on the ride until you all got here". lol. A little bit of pixie dust.

We rode together, then!! Are you in this pic, or behind us in the boat? :) So fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_3260.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
By the way... Sorry for not getting back to post pics or updates. Things have been a little busy, plus by the time I got around to updating, it had opened to many more people. It had been 10 years since I'd been on POTC, so I wasn't sure that I'd be of much help with what changed. Looks like that happened above!

We didn't see mermaids, though, after the ride my DH mentioned that the full audio must not have been on because it seemed quiet to him. Perhaps there were parts they held back for our pre-opening ride?

So so so happy to see Davey Jones back in the fog! It was never working last trip and it's one of my favorite parts of the ride!

I've ridden POTC roughly a billion times.... Really though several times per trip since 1990. Apparently I had never sat in front. Last trip my sister and I are doing our nearly midnight rounds when we're the last people on the rides... Our favorite time! Angela's, was us and another guy front row... And we got SOAKED. I had NEVER gotten wet before. We were so shocked This was before the refurb though. Somehow all these years I missed that people in the front get wet.

Yes, this! I have rode many times and until last trip (September 2015) I had no idea that you could get so wet on pirates. There were four of us adults in the front and as we hit the bottom of the drop we did what looked like a nose dive and I swear time stood still as I watched water flowing like waterfall over the front and drenching us. We got more wet than any one of us have on splash. Probably about the funniest ride (MK made some money from new shoes purchased that day).

Anyway, here now. I didn't realize how lucky we were to ride. We rode once Friday night with no problems and then twice Saturday. Both times we broke down mid ride for 10 + minutes or so. I don't recall any mermaid lights. The clothing on everyone looks vivid and bright. We sat second row and took on quite a bit of water when there were 4 adults in front of us. I was okay with that because they were all being (loud) snotty brats and getting wet only made em more angry. One thing that seems different.... I feel like the guy sitting overhead is different looking? Maybe I'm crazy but I swear he isn't the same guy.

We rode together, then!! Are you in this pic, or behind us in the boat? :) So fun!

Either next to you or behind you. I believe we were in row 5 or 6. We were a group of 5 adults and my MIL, FIL and SIL sat in the row in front of us and my DW and I sat with another couple.

The funny thing is the person on the bottom left of your picture looks like it could be the back of my MIL's head.

Having never been on this ride, how big of a drop is the drop? (I'm a scaredy cat. :o:flower3:) I've watched several youtubes, but they are obviously so dark that you just can't tell.

We seem to always get the front row, but each time, they only put the two of us in the front row. (And before you ask, no neither of us are overweight!) As such, never got wet like others a describing.

Also, I always expect another drop like in Paris!

Having never been on this ride, how big of a drop is the drop? (I'm a scaredy cat. :o:flower3:) I've watched several youtubes, but they are obviously so dark that you just can't tell.

It's pretty similar to the small drop on Splash right before you go into the mountain. I'm really bad at guessing distances (especially since I haven't experienced it first hand for about 2 1/2 years) but I would say 10 - 15 ft tops. It's more of a little whoopdedoo than an actual drop.

It's about a 14 vertical foot, rather gentle (though bumpy), slope.

It's not a big drop at all. I wouldn't even say it is a "drop"...always seems like more of a gentle slope to me.

I still have a blister on my foot from walking around with wet shoes and socks after riding it Saturday night.

We were there Saturday. POTC was open every time we checked and seemed to have about a 25 min wait most of the day and through emh. We were in the front row (not by choice! ) and also got more wet than we did on Splash mountain. The ride overall was fun and definitely an improvement over the experience and quality prior to refurb.
Same here. We barely got wet at all on Splash but got quite wet on Pirates on Saturday in the front row.

Either next to you or behind you. I believe we were in row 5 or 6. We were a group of 5 adults and my MIL, FIL and SIL sat in the row in front of us and my DW and I sat with another couple.

The funny thing is the person on the bottom left of your picture looks like it could be the back of my MIL's head.
I bet you were right next to us! I chatted just a tiny bit with the woman next to me. Thin, blond, 30's, I think? I was with my DH. I'm tall, a little chubby, with brown hair. I also had the look of an exhausted woman who'd been rained on an hour earlier, and was on the last night of Day 6 of a trip with a 3 & 5 year old. Haha!

Wasn't it such a fun experience to ride that night? Definitely a great memory!

Yes, this! I have rode many times and until last trip (September 2015) I had no idea that you could get so wet on pirates. There were four of us adults in the front and as we hit the bottom of the drop we did what looked like a nose dive and I swear time stood still as I watched water flowing like waterfall over the front and drenching us. We got more wet than any one of us have on splash. Probably about the funniest ride (MK made some money from new shoes purchased that day).

I'm glad we're not the only ones who didn't know! lol Were you on the ride by yourselves in the front? Maybe it's a weight distribution thing. There were 3 of us, my sister and I and some random guy, and we were all in the front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter