Just returned from WDW, all 7 suitcases were soaking wet, is there anything the airlines may do?

sb_sparky

Earning My Ears
Hi

We just got back from a really fun trip to WDW. We were very upset to fly in and land at 1am to find our 7 suitcases completely wet / soaked. Literally all of the clothes and everything inside was wet all the way through. We then had to drive 4 hours home.

There was a rainstorm and our bags were left in the rain on the tarmac for at least an hour. I would think they would at least try to put a tarp over them. I had tons of dress up costumes, 7 pairs of sparkly minnie ears, my son's original baby mickey ears, autograph books, WDW books, several pairs of leather shoes, and the list goes on...

I had washed and folded everything before flying home, I am on day 2 of continuous washing and am still not done. Not only was everything soaked but all of the suitcases look terrible, several of them were new and look beaten up. I know airlines are rough in handling them but after one flight we are shocked. I should have taken pictures right away, I started washing and unloaded several of the suitcases and realized that it was ridiculous that every one was soaking. I did take some pictures but it is hard to photograph wet clothes when they are saturated through.

I have never considered this before but wanted to see if anyone has ever complained to an airline for wet luggage before?

Thank you

For American Airlines, you have to call in a claim or notify them within 24-hours so since you are 2-day of washing, I am guessing that you missed the window to file a claim.

For American Airlines, you have to call in a claim or notify them within 24-hours so since you are 2-day of washing, I am guessing that you missed the window to file a claim.

Hi, we flew Southwest. I called them and explained and they sent me a claim form. It mentioned having receipts to give them, I do not have receipts for hardly anything we brought unfortunately. I am not asking them to replace everything, some things I think are damaged for sure. I am not sure how that works when you dont have receipts though?

Does anyone know what a fair compensation would be to ask for? Our luggage was damaged as well as some items and we are upset that everything was soaked completely

I don't know how it works without a receipt.

As far as compensation cost, we looked up the luggage we had damaged to see what a new price would be and average the cost of the clothes you have damaged.

I don't know how it works without a receipt.

As far as compensation cost, we looked up the luggage we had damaged to see what a new price would be and average the cost of the clothes you have damaged.

I just dont know how to begin to show receipts for 7 completely packed suitcases full of clothes, shoes, books, costumes and all other items. Would they need receipts for everything? We toss receipts for clothing after they have been entered.

What we did was took a picture of the suitcase before opening them and after opening them because we already knew our clothes were soaked. Then we took multiple pictures of the clothes laid out to show what was in each suitcase. American Airline took it and gave us a claim check 3 weeks later.

FWIW in the future you may consider packing valuable-money or sentimental-items as much as you can in your carry on. So maybe consider if you go back to WDW the 7 pairs of sparkly minnie ears, your son's original baby mickey ears, autograph books, WDW books and potentially the dress up costumes if they can fit. The leather shoes would depend in my mind if they were treated with waterproofing for day to day usage and how big the shoes were.

We've had suitcases wet before, even if they are covered up in this:
upload_2018-6-22_15-37-25.png

Rain can still get in and the luggage would still get wet when on the conveyor belt. They may have not had a cover on them at all for your case who knows.

Anywho typically I try to pack a sort of barrier around my items just in case though my items may still get wet.

As far as damage to your luggage goes it does happen. We flew Delta to Hawaii and my husband's luggage got damaged; the front pocket was completely ripped and the back where the handle comes in and out was really scraped up. We went to the Delta counter in Hawaii right then and they gave us a brand new suitcase. We did fly the damaged one back home with duct tape on it but won't fly with it again. It will be just a road trip kind of luggage.That was Delta though and it's the only time our luggage had gotten damaged. The lady at the counter said it was likely that it got stuck on a conveyor belt.

Looks like the other poster has you handled on the claims process part.

What we did was took a picture of the suitcase before opening them and after opening them because we already knew our clothes were soaked. Then we took multiple pictures of the clothes laid out to show what was in each suitcase. American Airline took it and gave us a claim check 3 weeks later.

This would have been a really good idea. We had been up for almost 24 hours and wasn't thinking clearly. I really didnt think everything had gotten soaked. It took me awhile to realize how badly soaked everything was. Mostly things are soaking wet and smell because they were wet for so long before we were home and able to unzip the suitcases. There are some items like books and several of our suitcases are damaged. I noticed a few clothing items have stains from water soaking books and the ink coming off onto them. I cannot wash it out unfortunately.

Wrapping things in plastic and carrying on special items is a good idea. We hardly ever fly and never knew this could happen. We live in CA where it hardly ever rains, being summer it just never crossed our minds that our luggage could get wet.

I wish I had been more aware while we were at the airport. We were all exhausted and had 3 kids wanting to go to sleep in the car as soon as possible. We also knew we had hours ahead of us to drive and were focused on leaving as quick as we could.

Thank you everyone for your input!

We always keep large shopping bags when we buy blankets and comforters. They are great to have and use for rainy travel days. Also to use for dirty clothes bags after a trip. Kohls also gives large shopping bags when you buy from them. If lightening is in the area of the airport, sometimes they just have to stop and get to safety. I would rather have a soaked bag then someone stuck or hurt.
We have really seen soaked luggage while cruising. Those luggage carts are not covered at all and we have sat on our balcony on the ship watching bags get wet.

Last edited:
We always keep large shopping bags when we buy blankets and comforters. They are great to have and use for rainy travel days. Also to use for dirty clothes bags after a trip. Kohls also gives large shopping bags when you buy from them. If lightening is in the area of the airport, sometimes they just have to stop and get to safety. I would rather have a soaked bag then someone stuck or hurt.
We have really seen soaked luggage while cruising. Those luggage carts are not covered at all and we have sat on our balcony on the ship watching bags get wet.

Thank you, those are more good ideas to remember. Yes, of course I would never want anyone to get hurt.

I have found Southwest to be one of the best airlines to deal with, with issues.. not specifically luggage. I would clearly document, and use ur photos and then ask them for what You think is reasonable compensation. Best of luck.

I have found Southwest to be one of the best airlines to deal with, with issues.. not specifically luggage. I would clearly document, and use ur photos and then ask them for what You think is reasonable compensation. Best of luck.

Thank you, I did take several pictures and will send in a report tomorrow and see what they say.

One time we flew home from FL on a direct flight. We where stuck on the plane in FL as a huge thunderstorm rolled threw. We sat on the plane and watched multiple carts of luggage get pounded by rain before we eventually flew home.

When we all went to get our luggage, most peoples luggage was literally dripping. Saddest part was the car seats that the parents poured water out of and then had to have kids sit in on the drive home. Our luggage is all hardside and while the cases were wet and some stuff around the zippers was moist, we where very lucky.

If you are going to replace your bags get hardside pieces, TJ Maxx is my fave luggage place.

we always spray the outside of our luggage with a Camp Out waterproofing spray. The last time there was a downpour and our luggage was on the tarmac but ours was completely dry an few other people were not so lucky. I also spray the backpack we plan to carry in the park to protect it as well. It paid off when someone spilled a drink on the plane and my bag was by the wet mess but it was completely dry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter