Just Returned from POR

JBUZZ2

Earning My Ears
Just returned from POR today- It's a great resort-
I had requested Bldgs 14, 18 or 27 and I needed adjoining rooms- I had put it on the reservation and called the hotel 4 days prior to arrival- No record of bldg request upon arrival just adjoining rooms- kind of disappointed. The CM at check in was earning her mouse ears and took nearly an hour to check us in- she kept on running to the back for questions- I felt that someone should have been with her helping her through the process- several times she disappeared for 10 minutes or so- very frustrating- when she gave us our room assignment in bldg 38 I asked for a room in one of my requested bldgs and she looked at me and said that I should be happy that I got adjoining rooms- I wasn't feeling good about the resort at this point but ended up being satisfied with the room and especially the adjoining rooms. Bldg 38 was a bit of a walk but as everyone says its a beautiful walk just not real conveinent for trips for food or to the lobby- the walk to the main pool was fine- Our room was on the second floor (also requested the first) but we managed considering we had a stroller- We did the fishing hole, boat rentals, took the ferry boat to POFQ to use the pool and took a carriage ride. The resort is beautiful and it has great amenities. Pool was always crowded and always hard to find chairs- found the pool at POFQ much less crowded. The food here was very good but again always crowded and the lines moved very slow. We got a golf cart ride to our room after check in with our luggage but was not told about this by our CM- happened to see others doing this and inquired about it. Would definately go back here but hopefully at a less crowded time. Also, heard resort was at 97% capacity but never heard a peep from neighbors or passerbys.

glad you enjoyed your stay... we're still undecided between PO(FQ?R?) or Pop Century... hopefully i'll decide before we get there! LOL!

btw, were there elevators in the buildings?

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the resort. This will be our first time staying at POR. Do you have any advise for 1st timers? How was the buses? :wave2:

We stayed at Port Orleans last November. This was our second stay at a DW resort. The first was at Music All Stars. We liked the extra space that Port Orleans provided vs. that at All Stars. It was a big difference!

The grounds are very pretty at Port Orleans. It was a very peaceful atmosphere, very quiet, and had a nice log cabin / woodsy feel.

It is a big walk to the bus stop and at times we even got confused as to which path to take. One day the bus stopped at several other resorts to pick up and it took forever to get to the parks. I don't know if this was because of a low crowd going to the parks or why.

We took the boat to Downtown Disney, which was fun.

There are not any elevators that I know of.

I would recommend Port Orleans and would be happy to stay again.

Buses were good- We mainly used the bus stop at the front of the resort because we were always passing through the food court but there was a stop behind our bldg- Never had to wait but were always crowded- had to stand quite a bit- and always planned on an hour to get anywhere we were going most of the time it took just that.
We were 1st timers ourselves and unfortunatley you don't feel comfortable about the ins and outs of the resort until the end of the week but you know you will be a pro when you return.

Did not care for the theming of POFQ, but did like the pool better at POFQ for my kids (5 and 2)

Thanks for the information. We are trying POR for the first time this fall. Glad you had s good time in spite of the bad start..building 38 is a far cry from 14.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I am trying POR for the first time this October and looking forward to it. I requested the Mansions. Can you tell me anything worth knowing about the resort?? i.e good food, shortcuts, bus problems?? I'm wondering if we should walk to the bus stop over at the front of the building instead of the closer one to us.

We walked to the front bus stop when we needed to pass through the food court for food or drinks- it was a longer walk then the bus stop behind us- we did use the bus stop behind us several times for pick up and for drop off- this stop was more conveinent- the bus always starts at the front and goes all the way around- i guess you have more of a chance standing if you don't go to the front stop- we only encountered this coming home but it was a very crowded week.
The food was very good- but we only tried breakfast food- and quesidilla's for lunch- snacks and desserts- no dinners here-
Bob Jackson is worth checking out and he can be found in the lounge off the lobby in the evenings- i think wed thru sun.
The ammentities at the resort are worth doing- prices were reasonable and everything we tried was alot of fun.
Inquire about the golf cart ride to your room upon check-in

We just got back from POR today! We were in Building 36 and it was a bit of a walk but it was so lovely we didn't notice too much. We enjoyed the quiet pool and the laundry room was great, I had the whole thing to myself one evening! I had hoped for the Mansions but since we checked in at midnight got AB. I ended up liking the decor much more than I thought I would. The trundle bed came in handy although at the rate my kids are growing they may never fit into it again. The rooms were spotless. My kids loved the pool although the water temperature was pretty chilly our first two days but it got much better. Food court was very good and never crowded. We ate there a lot too. I was surprised when somebody on the bus told me they were almost sold out. It never felt crowded. Buses were great. All in all, this has become my new favorite place to stay! Now I am toying with changing my reservations over Christmas from Pop to POR. Just don't know if I can handle all that noise and crowds there (at an extremely crowded time no less). Guess I should unpack from this trip first maybe. Also the parking scenario was so much better at POR than at ASMO or Pop. Can't believe I am home, what a bummer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter