Just returned from Hilton Head and Charleston Place

Toby

Mouseketeer
got the 2 bedroom unit as relatives were joining us as our guests. My initial observation of Hilton Head is nothing but golf courses, endless condo units and traffic. And this was in early March - I'd hate to see in during the summer! Weather was low 60's-70's and sunny.

I found the DVC resort, while very homey and well-themed, very deceiving from the photos of the entire complex in the DVC handbook. From the photos in the handbook, you think the resort is all alone on the marsh with water and land all around you.

Well, it's not - it's crowded in with other condo complexes, malls, restaurants. We were fortunate, as it was only 60% occupied, to have a room facing the marsh out back, so it was nice to be on the deck relaxing - although not too many times, as it was cold.

The beach, however, has to be 2-3 miles away across the highway. It would be a very long walk. The pool and snack bar there are closed for renovations, so we couldn't even get a snack. The beach area is gorgeous, however. Must be very nice in the summer.

We all had a good time, but as non-golfers, we don't think we could spend any more than 2-3 days there - the traffic alone would drive us nuts!!

Charleston Place is wonderful. Right in the heart of the historic district - you can walk everywhere. Loads of great restaurants, the waterfront, and historic sights within walking distance. Only complaint was no coffeemaker in the room, and no bathroom fan. Minor complaint, I know. We had a wonderful patio area that would be ideal for sipping your morning coffee. We'd go back there in a heartbeat, and skip Hilton Head. Wished we had saved those points for somewhere else. Oh well, at least we tried it.

Just a question, did you get any indication as to how long the pool at the beach would be under renovation. We are leaving for Hilton Head on Sunday? Thanks!

Toby said:
The beach, however, has to be 2-3 miles away across the highway. It would be a very long walk. The pool and snack bar there are closed for renovations, so we couldn't even get a snack. The beach area is gorgeous, however. Must be very nice in the summer.

We have clocked it. It is about 1 mile exactly to the Beach House. Not a hard walk at all as several people on this board have pointed out (other than the heat at certain times of the year).

Wow, only a mile?? It seemed so much longer - oh well, then it would be a great walk - just not in the heat!! My perception of distances is always wrong :confused3

I don't know how long the renovations on the pool area are going to be. Everything was roped off. Hopefully, it will be a short project. You'll be happy to hear that the weather is going to be high 70's, low 80's this weekend coming. You'll love the beach - gorgeous!!

To each is own! We will be making our third trip to HHI in a couple of weeks. This time we are doing a dolphin cruise and renting bikes. Usually we make a trip to Sea Pines, the outlet mall, mini golf and DD enjoys the resort activities. We like HHI so much because it is a RELAXING vacation. Glad you tried it though. This is what makes DVC so great! Pick your own destination and stay as long as you like.

WOW...We just love HH. We joined DVC in 2001 and have been going there ever since. We are going through the annual ritual of deciding what to do this year. Of course we have our "usual" week booked at HH during the summer, but always book it at 11 months and then decide what to do.

As of this moment it looks as though I am losing the "discussion". I want to finally go back to WDW. We used to go every year, since buying into DVC...we have not taken a long trip back. We have spent a couple days here and there...but no long trip.

My DW, DD and DS all love HH. DD is 12 and DS is 5. This is the first and only year they can do the "kids night out" together in the same age group, so they want to go back there this summer. With all the activities they have at the resort and the things to do on the island 5 nights is never enough for us.

Some day I will get back to WDW...but not this year the way it looks. HH is a nice relaxing vacation....I do love it there...but don't tell the DW I said it. :love:

Toby said:
I found the DVC resort, while very homey and well-themed, very deceiving from the photos of the entire complex in the DVC handbook. From the photos in the handbook, you think the resort is all alone on the marsh with water and land all around you.

Well, it's not - it's crowded in with other condo complexes, malls, restaurants.

Wow, I have to say I would be surprised by that too after looking at the photos. Admittedly I know nothing about Hilton Head.

But once you're in the resort, do you feel relatively isolated from what is around you?

I'm really itching to try Hilton Head, but I don't know much about it besides what i've read here and some of these comments took me by surprise.''

Travel to the beach probably wouldn't bug me though.

We have always felt isolated when we have stayed there. It is by Shelter Cove with the Marina between you and the shops. We have never felt like we were surrounded. I would not consider the Resort at all crowded by the things mentioned in the original post.

The Beach House is a mile away, which for us is nice. Our 5 year old DS is very adventerous and would think nothing to take off and head into the ocean if we were right on the ocean.

I have loved HH for many years, sorry you found it wasn't your cup of tea. It's funny how perceptions are though--a good friend and her dd just spent their first weekend at a condo in Sea Pines and the thing she talked most about--how uncommercial everything was. They were driving along and oops! they just passed a McDonald's and barely realized it---that kind of thing. Summer is best though, the ocean is 84 degrees. :sunny:

I guess if one was totally unfamilar of the landscape of Hilton Head Island, the photos of the resort might lead one to believe that it is more isolated.

I guess I just can not imagine anyone not knowing that Hilton Head Island is one of the most popular resort destinations in the US and there are no areas of complete isolation.

That said I find the Disney resort to be an oasis in the desert of humanity. Once we cross the bridge to the resort we feel removed from all the other hussle and bussle of the Island.

I find the Marina side facing Shelter Cove, which does contain other condos, restaurants and shopping a very pleasant view. The Shelter Cove area is very Mediterranean to me, so I alway feel as I walk the paths of the resort that I am looking across the marina to a beautiful seaside area. It is not like the view is the local Wal-Mart or Burger King. It is a very unique area, very upscale. Plus it offers within walking distance some very nice shops and places to eat. I like our Shelter Cove neighbors. :thumbsup2

The boats in the marina, I mean yachts are some of my favorite viewing.

So I guess different strokes etc. Just know that many do love the resort, and all it offers.

PS. I did a Google for Shelter Cove and I was right on with my description of the area. Quote: Patterned after a Mediterranean seaside village, Shelter Cove Marina features an eclectic assortment of restaurants, sidewalk cafes, galleries, and boutiques.

Sammie said:
I guess if one was totally unfamilar of the landscape of Hilton Head Island, the photos of the resort might lead one to believe that it is more isolated.

I guess I just can not imagine anyone not knowing that Hilton Head Island is one of the most popular resort destinations in the US and there are no areas of complete isolation.

That said I find the Disney resort to be an oasis in the desert of humanity. Once we cross the bridge to the resort we feel removed from all the other hussle and bussle of the Island.

I find the Marina side facing Shelter Cove, which does contain other condos, restaurants and shopping a very pleasant view. The Shelter Cove area is very Mediterranean to me, so I alway feel as I walk the paths of the resort that I am looking across the marina to a beautiful seaside area. It is not like the view is the local Wal-Mart or Burger King. It is a very unique area, very upscale. Plus it offers within walking distance some very nice shops and places to eat. I like our Shelter Cove neighbors. :thumbsup2

The boats in the marina, I mean yachts are some of my favorite viewing.

So I guess different strokes etc. Just know that many do love the resort, and all it offers.

PS. I did a Google for Shelter Cove and I was right on with my description of the area. Quote: Patterned after a Mediterranean seaside village, Shelter Cove Marina features an eclectic assortment of restaurants, sidewalk cafes, galleries, and boutiques.

okay, this description puts it in a better light. :)

I do realize HH is a very popular destination but plenty of popular destinations don't have everything on top of eachother as was implied in the OP.

But your post clarifies it a bit.

Ahhh, I really want to go. Hoping for August 2007.

We enjoyed our stay in HH in Oct so much that we are going back in Sept for a week. Even though our unit faced the "inside" (other units) it was so peaceful and relaxing. I loved sitting on the porch with a book and a beverage and those great rocking chairs.

Because the sign is down by the road, if I hadn't seen the pics in the DVC materials, I would not have known where to turn. :rotfl2:

As many say, one of the best things about DVC is all the options available to all members.

We are interested in trying HHI at some point. I don't know anything about the area. We don't own points there so is there a good time to go, weather-wise, where we would still have some chance of getting in at the 7-month window?

rsschneck said:
To each is own! We will be making our third trip to HHI in a couple of weeks. This time we are doing a dolphin cruise and renting bikes. Usually we make a trip to Sea Pines, the outlet mall, mini golf and DD enjoys the resort activities. We like HHI so much because it is a RELAXING vacation. Glad you tried it though. This is what makes DVC so great! Pick your own destination and stay as long as you like.

How can I find out about the Dolphin thing?? I love those guys! We are going in July for 10 days. Looking forward to it but, not the traffic :rolleyes1

Mi3stooges said:
How can I find out about the Dolphin thing?? I love those guys! We are going in July for 10 days. Looking forward to it but, not the traffic :rolleyes1

http://www.coastaldiscovery.org/

or the DVC resort has a dolphin tour too! Disney charges $35 per person. We paid $48 total for 2 adults and a 9 year old. That is a big savings. I will let everyone know if we liked the tour.

LVSWL said:
Just a question, did you get any indication as to how long the pool at the beach would be under renovation. We are leaving for Hilton Head on Sunday? Thanks!

We also just returned from HH and had a great time. We loved the property and thought it was beautiful and relaxing. The beach house closed on Mon 3/6....I think they were resurfacing the outside deck...and supposed to be done this week. I would call them to find out. You're going to have great weather...a good 10-15 degrees warmer than last weekend...Enjoy!! :thumbsup2 Oh, by the way...I would request a top floor room because you hear every footstep above you and we had running and jumping children early in the am...we had to move rooms...buildings 18 and 29 are marshfront with lovely views.

rsschneck said:
http://www.coastaldiscovery.org/

or the DVC resort has a dolphin tour too! Disney charges $35 per person. We paid $48 total for 2 adults and a 9 year old. That is a big savings. I will let everyone know if we liked the tour.
Thank you for the info. I have the web site in my favorites to read all about later. :thumbsup2

Jen D said:
okay, this description puts it in a better light. :)

I do realize HH is a very popular destination but plenty of popular destinations don't have everything on top of eachother as was implied in the OP.

But your post clarifies it a bit.

Ahhh, I really want to go. Hoping for August 2007.

Also Jen, the island while a very developed area, has very strict building codes. No high rises, no large billboards, no glarish neon lighting. Lots of landscaping. In fact it took some time to even find the Wal-Mart it was so well disguised. :)

Yes it can get crowded with traffic, the island is not that large and there is only one main thorough fare down the middle of the island with smaller roads leading to the resorts.

The DVC resort is set on its own small island. So once you cross the bridge to the resort you do not share that piece of land with anything else. I found that to be very peaceful and relaxing. On one side of the resort you have the beautiful marshland and waterways and the on the parking lot side you have Shelter Cove Marina, and the Shelter Cove resort area on the other side of the marina, which I described in the former post. There are really nice shops and eateries there within walking distance from the resort.

So yes when you turn off the Hilton Head Pkwy. you do drive through a very short segment of Shelter Cove then across the bridge to the DVC resort.

I found it all very lovely and extremely well landscaped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter