Just off the Wonder from the California Coastal cruise. Any questions?

can anyone share what kind of costs or Disney shuttle options might have been available transfering from LAX to the port in LA? We are doing this same cruise in reverse in Sept (without the overnight SF or Victoria- which I hope they will do again as I would love to go there) but as to transfers- there has been so much helpful info for Cape Canaveral but nothing recent for LA since Disney only stops there a couple times a year- any updates or new info would be fantastic. So far we are reserved with Super Shuttle as I didn't know what Disney might offer? (we will have left the car near LAX when we fly up to Vancouver) Also any updated info on the option of getting from Vancouver to Seattle and then flying home- what was that like as we are doing that Disney cruise in May 2014 (no Victoria next year- bummer). Really appreciate your sharing your experiences. It makes our cruise seem that much closer. Your info on Vancouver was priceless- love the insights! Thank You!

I'm glad you found my Vancouver info helpful. That's the idea of this thread. YAY! :woohoo:

You lost me a bit on the transfers, but I think you mean going from the port to LAX. I would just use Super Shuttle. I think the Disney Shuttles only go to DLR and the DLR Hotels. If that is true (double check, call maybe?), that is not really where you need to be if your car is going to be near LAX.

As for getting from Vancouver to Seattle, I am not sure why so many people feel the need to do so. We researched the cost of flying out of Seattle vs. Vancouver. When you fly out of Seattle you have to add in the cost of either driving or the Skytrain (or some other method of getting to Seattle), plus the time. To us, it was worth it to stay and explore Vancouver and fly home straight from YVR. We are just two people, so it may vary depending upon party size, but when we did the research, it made sense to fly out of Vancouver instead of the time, money, and schlepping all of our stuff to Seattle.

Hope this helps,
Dreams

Sigh....

Your days spent in San Francisco sound heavenly!

My son attends college up there. We always try to enjoy the city when visiting.

Lovely, just WONDERful! :love:

Disney Dreams, did they have a special menu for Pixar Pals Party night?

Which night was the Animator's Palate show - 1st or 2nd in rotation?

TIA, Zbugz

I'm glad you found my Vancouver info helpful. That's the idea of this thread. YAY! :woohoo:

You lost me a bit on the transfers, but I think you mean going from the port to LAX. I would just use Super Shuttle. I think the Disney Shuttles only go to DLR and the DLR Hotels. If that is true (double check, call maybe?), that is not really where you need to be if your car is going to be near LAX.

As for getting from Vancouver to Seattle, I am not sure why so many people feel the need to do so. We researched the cost of flying out of Seattle vs. Vancouver. When you fly out of Seattle you have to add in the cost of either driving or the Skytrain (or some other method of getting to Seattle), plus the time. To us, it was worth it to stay and explore Vancouver and fly home straight from YVR. We are just two people, so it may vary depending upon party size, but when we did the research, it made sense to fly out of Vancouver instead of the time, money, and schlepping all of our stuff to Seattle.

Hope this helps,
Dreams

We are actually only considering this cruise because we are visiting family in Washington state that month and this cruise falls perfectly into the time we wanted to be there. I am currently researching the very same because most cruises seem to go to vancouver. we were hoping for one that hits the west coast and goes directly to Seattle (Disney was our first choice with the kids, but not the only one we are looking at). I am just kicking ourselves for not taking the 10% off on our last cruise now that we are actually planning another one.

What time did the ship dock in Vancouver? I am on the 9am shuttle back to seattle and tend to be a tad bit worried about that.

hi there,
I was also on this cruise and can tell you that there were several B2B travelers from the WBPC cruise (I was one of them, not concierge) and we were put into an area next to the concierge group. In addition, we were allowed back on board first. So maybe that's what was being referenced...
Peach

Friends of mine are still onboard, doing B2B coastal and Alaska. They were in the area next to the concierge group, and they're the ones who told me that there were people in the concierge waiting area who weren't in suites, so I just wondered, as did they, why the policy was different in LA than it usually is in PC.
Just curious.

We are on the repositioning cruise next year. I am SO looking forward to sailing under the golden gate bridge! Where would you recommend watching that? This is my first cruise so I am not very familiar with the layout of the ship.

Absolutely....we did the Pixar cruise last October and we cruised under the GGB at about 6 am....it was totally worth it to see the sunrise

Sigh....

Your days spent in San Francisco sound heavenly!

My son attends college up there. We always try to enjoy the city when visiting.

Lovely, just WONDERful! :love:

We had fun. DH's first time in SF and it's been a long time for me. We didn't want to be stuck on a tour bus and we pieced together a little plan that made for a fun two days and a taste of a great city. Yay for you that you get to visit when seeing your son.

Disney Dreams, did they have a special menu for Pixar Pals Party night?

Which night was the Animator's Palate show - 1st or 2nd in rotation?

TIA, Zbugz

Physically, it was a fun 3D menu with 3D glasses. As for the food, they said it was a special menu.

I just realized I took pics of the menus. Here you go...
e2c5d7f3-13e5-49e2-97d9-7385b594b75c_zpsb9e81cc8.jpg

(not blurry, it was 3D when viewed with the provided glasses)

IMG_2449_zps58df57f9.jpg

IMG_2450_zps015beefe.jpg

This one's a bit blurry, but I think you can make most of it out.

Animator's Palette has its show night on the 2nd time you eat there. Funny you should ask because our 2nd time there was our night in SF and we did not think they would do the show that night since many did not return to the ship for dinner --- including ourselves. We were wrong. LOL

We are actually only considering this cruise ...planning another one.
Ah, that makes sense.

What time did the ship dock in Vancouver? I am on the 9am shuttle back to seattle and tend to be a tad bit worried about that.
I'm not sure what time we docked, but we cleared customs earlier than expected. The first people off were around 7:15am, based on announcements. However, are you doing an Alaskan cruise this season? That could be a completely different situation though as we were not coming from Alaska, but up the Coastline. We did Alaska out of Vancouver two years ago with DCL. Either way, a 9am shuttle would make me a bit nervous.

We are on the repositioning cruise next year. I am SO looking forward to sailing under the golden gate bridge! Where would you recommend watching that? This is my first cruise so I am not very familiar with the layout of the ship.

Front of the ship...but go early, it gets crowded

I'm not so sure I would agree with the front of the ship. It really depends upon what you want, HeyyCali. I was at the very front when we came into San Fran at around 6:30am. The front of the ship is a great view and you can get some wonderful pictures of the bridge. However, if what you want is photos of the ship going under the bridge, further back (midship, maybe) would probably be better -- and not as crowded. I would definitely be on deck 10.

At 6:30am, they initially did not allow anyone up at the front of the ship. We were all back a bit behind a gate that is there. Then when the gate was opened - whoooooosh! - everyone flowed forward like lava rushing downhill! It was very windy and chilly. In the evening on the next night when we left SF it REALLY windy and very cold because of that wind.

When we cruised two years ago on the exact ship, we stood in the same spot sailing into Tracy Arm to approach the glacier and we were not as cold as we were in SF going under the bridge. It was probably because in AK we were all bundled up in sweaters and jackets and gloves vs SF where we were in lighter jackets and not so bundled up, but it was C O L D. Also the wind in the evening when we left was so strong that after we went under the bridge and I was trying to get some extra shots, I got blown backwards pretty strongly and decided it was time to go inside, a decision most had already made.

So as for "Where?" LOL, I think it depends on what you want. The view sailing in with nothing in front of you vs. the cool photograph of the ships' stacks going under the bridge.

HTH,
Dreams

Physically, it was a fun 3D menu with 3D glasses. As for the food, they said it was a special menu.

e2c5d7f3-13e5-49e2-97d9-7385b594b75c_zpsb9e81cc8.jpg

(not blurry, it was 3D when viewed with the provided glasses)

IMG_2449_zps58df57f9.jpg

IMG_2450_zps015beefe.jpg

This one's a bit blurry, but I think you can make most of it out.

Animator's Palette has its show night on the 2nd time you eat there. Funny you should ask because our 2nd time there was our night in SF and we did not think they would do the show that night since many did not return to the ship for dinner --- including ourselves. We were wrong. LOL

Dreams

Thanks so much - you rock! :thumbsup2 That menu photo is so helpful.

They first used that menu for the Pixar Cruises last year. Glad to see they still are having fun with the theme. Gives us hope that there might be another Pixar Cruise someday...

The front of the ship is a great view and you can get some wonderful pictures of the bridge. However, if what you want is photos of the ship going under the bridge, further back (midship, maybe) would probably be better -- and not as crowded. I would definitely be on deck 10.
So as for "Where?" LOL, I think it depends on what you want. The view sailing in with nothing in front of you vs. the cool photograph of the ships' stacks going under the bridge.
Agreed. Here's a shot I got last year on the Sep 16 cruise, looking backward after sailing under the GG. https://twitter.com/jlmarr1622/status/248056179929006081/photo/1 My "looking forward" shots weren't nearly as interesting.

that was a huge help, I knew yours were possibly LAX to the ship whereas ours were the opposite (unless you live in LA) and I so appreciate all the info you are sharing. We live south of LA so in 2014 we get on in San Diego and do the coastal route into Vancouver, but this Sept it is Vancouver to LA and thankfully Super Shuttle is available but it does mean we have to bring along a car seat the entire trip for that 40 minute transfer. So I was hoping possibly Disney had offered a shuttle from LAX to the port on your cruise or if anyone might know, nothing has been mentioned for the coastal repositioning in Sept when we go from Vancouver to LA. We have all the info for Vancouvers sky train and our hotel- and Super Shuttle reserved for LA but it would be nice if there was an option without taking a car seat on the trip.

And I had asked about Seattle since our 2014 cruise would bring us back to Vancouver but perhaps we could see Seattle since we were so close and we have our grandson age 4 who is crazy about trains- so it was too fantastic a chance to maybe hear if anyone had done it and possibly how challenging it is with luggage or just where you start and end. But the air to Vancouver one way has been so reasonable- it was just a possible alternative for 2014. I have really enjoyed everything you have shared, we have had no problems finding lots of info for transfers to Port Canaveral but there was less news for LA- cannot thank you enough for helping us all out!!

Ahh, Scomas, we have eaten there, many years ago, but I remember it as being very good and the atmosphere was just delightful. May have to try for an early dinner there next May.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to this thread. We will be doing this next May, but out of San Diego.

If anyone has Navigators they could share, that would be just great, whenever you get the chance.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, and we can't wait to hear more.

Ahh, Scomas, we have eaten there, many years ago, but I remember it as being very good and the atmosphere was just delightful. May have to try for an early dinner there next May.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to this thread. We will be doing this next May, but out of San Diego.

If anyone has Navigators they could share, that would be just great, whenever you get the chance.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, and we can't wait to hear more.

A friend and I are also on the May 2014 San Diego to Vancouver cruise. I appreciate all the input in this thread. It definitely spiked my excitement for this cruise, especially sailing under the Golden Gate. I will definitely have to drag myself out of bed for that. The silly thing is that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I am still excited to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge on the Wonder and get pictures of the ship as she passes under the bridge.

Were there alot of kids on this cruise? I would love to do this cruise out of SD next May but it would mean pulling my kids out of school. I hate pulling them out so close to the end of the year, but it would be after there state testing. :)

Thanks! We were supposed to be on this cruise, but switched to the reverse repo in Sept! Glad you had a great time!

A friend and I are also on the May 2014 San Diego to Vancouver cruise. I appreciate all the input in this thread. It definitely spiked my excitement for this cruise, especially sailing under the Golden Gate. I will definitely have to drag myself out of bed for that. The silly thing is that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I am still excited to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge on the Wonder and get pictures of the ship as she passes under the bridge.

Hey there, recognize you from our Meets Thread. I so want to make it on deck to get a shot going under the Golden Gate. I hope they are able to tell us what time it should take place. I am not one for getting up early to stand in the cold and wait.

Were there alot of kids on this cruise? I would love to do this cruise out of SD next May but it would mean pulling my kids out of school. I hate pulling them out so close to the end of the year, but it would be after there state testing. :)

You can check out the Meets Thread for the May 2014 sailing to see who all is going so far and how many kids are on that sailing already.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3070167

We live in the Bay Area, and was downtown SF when the Wonder was docked - looked amazing. Question: How rough are the seas on the coastal cruise? Have heard it can roll quite a bit - but it looks to be awesome trip. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!