Just Off the Fantasy (11/23-11/30)

javander0524

Earning My Ears
This was our first Disney Cruise (or cruise of any kind) and we were immediately hooked. We have 3 boys, ages 13, 7, and 7. We also went with my sister and her family (5 total) and my parents (2) for a total party of 12 people in 3 staterooms. We were originally scheduled to go over Christmas, but due to my BILs father getting a bad medical diagnosis we switched, somewhat late, to Thanksgiving. We were assigned late dining and went on the wait list for early. Prior to boarding we had excursions for Dolphinaris at Cozumel and the Exclusive and Fun Beach Break at Jamaica. We had a first night reservation at Palo and had wanted a drink tasting, but were not able to get that prior to getting on board. We took a private limo from Saratoga Springs to the boat, and other than the cars lined up to get into the port, that was really smooth and would recommend Happy Limo to anyone that is looking for a private car service. My Sister's family had a PAT of 11:00, my parents 11:15, and ours was 11:30. We were all able to check-in immediately upon getting into the port and got boarding number between 5 and 10. Ours was 10, but that process was efficient as long as you had a bit of patience. When we got the first day navigator, we noticed that you could sign up for drink seminars at La Piazza. We went directly there and there were numerous drink seminars available at that time. We booked mixology at 2:00 on Thursday. When we walked back to meet our family in the atrium, we happened upon Cinderella on the balcony. It appeared that not many people had noticed here there and our boys got a picture with her without a wait. We came across characters not doing a meeting, but just wondering the ship a number of times and were able to get pictures without a wait. We got Pluto, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Daisy and a couple others I don't remember right now. Cabanas, the first day and throughout the trip, had adequate food and a good selection. We never left there hungry, either after breakfast or lunch. We got into our staterooms at 1:30 and put stuff away, and then went to visit the clubs. One of our 7 year olds was apprehensive at first, but quickly warmed to the club and both of them wanted to spend most of their time there, as did our 13 year old in Edge. We enjoyed the sailing away party and got the chance to meet Jo Slow, the adult entertainment director, on the way down the stairs. We told her we had heard great things about her from others on here and she recommended some activities to attend. She was great throughout the cruise. When we went up to Palo for our meal, I was getting my first, and only, pangs of motion sickness. I was able to get some water in and cool down a bit, and felt better shortly. Our Palo meal was amazing. In my opinion, $40 is a steal for that meal. The souffles are to die for. Our shows were Aladdin, Frozen II, a comedian/magician, the Frozen Spectacular, a comedian/juggler, and Believe. Aladdin was great and the Genie was hilarious. Had a brief stop in the show due to technical difficulties and it was funny when it was announced to the crowd in a similar way to how they announce a brief shut down of rides at the parks. The Frozen Spectacular was a lot of fun as well. I didn't think the sound was great in the Walt Disney Theater for Frozen II, as I couldn't hear well when people were laughing at the jokes. The Magician was fun, and I could have done without the juggler. He wasn't bad, just nothing special. I missed Believe due to having a child not feeling well, but my wife said it was just so-so. Our dining team was great. JC bent over backwards to try to get us into early dining, but was unable to do so due to the size of our party. We were concerned with it at the beginning, but the kids all did well with eating later and our boys would eat quick and then go up to the club when they came to pick up. I would recommend informing you server if your kids want to go to the clubs after eating. They will feed them quickly and help to inform you if they see the club staff coming to get the kids. Our servers, Diogo and Vaneza, were great and were like members of the family at the end. The food was really good, but the only things I absolutely loved were the escargot and the Gran Marnier souffle. Our favorite restaurant was Royal Court and we got that for both Formal Night and Thanksgiving. As for excursions, we really liked the Dolphin swim on Cozumel. The inflatable obstacle course on Jamaica was fun, but more work than expected. The meals at both places were just OK, but Dolphinaris did include all drinks, including alcohol, with it. We did a lot of trivia and adult shows, and found a group of others to do trivia with. My wife and I got to participate in Match Your Mate (The Newlywed Game) and won a bottle of champagne and a scalp massage for winning that. The game was a blast, but I am glad I didn't have any family members there to listen to some of our answers. Jo Slow was as awesome as advertised for all the adult stuff we did. The mixology was great. Roland was our bartender. He explained about the new rules regarding not letting people behind the bar, but also allowed us to make a couple drinks by setting up stations on the outside of the bar to do so. My wife and I each got to make a drink for the group. There were a couple people that didn't show up, so there were some leftover drinks from the pre-made and Roland allowed us to take those and drink them as well, so we had 6-7 drinks in about 45 minutes. All in all we had a great time and I can answer questions if anyone has them. We had never been on a cruise, but booked a placeholder while onboard since we enjoyed it so much.

I was on the same cruise! I agree with a lot of the things you said. I will try to post a review tonight after the kids go to bed.

Thank you so much for posting! DH and I just booked a couples-only last minute (for us) Western Caribbean on the Fantasy for January 4 and we could not be more excited. We have been on several cruises before and we love it, but this is our first Disney cruise and our first Western route.

Congrats on winning the game show!

Did you notice if there was Dole Whip available on the ship? Were there lots of specialty cocktails, and where were your favorite spots to find some?

What was the placeholder offer on the ship? Any discounts and/or on-board credit? Any specifics you could provide about that would be appreciated!

Thank you so much for posting! DH and I just booked a couples-only last minute (for us) Western Caribbean on the Fantasy for January 4 and we could not be more excited. We have been on several cruises before and we love it, but this is our first Disney cruise and our first Western route.

Congrats on winning the game show!

Did you notice if there was Dole Whip available on the ship? Were there lots of specialty cocktails, and where were your favorite spots to find some?

What was the placeholder offer on the ship? Any discounts and/or on-board credit? Any specifics you could provide about that would be appreciated!
There was Dole Whip available at a window next to the soft serve ice cream. You have to pay for it and I thought the consistency was different than what you get in the parks.

There were plenty of specialty cocktails. I spent a lot of time in OGills. My wife loved the Chilled Leprechaun. Curtis, one of the waiters there, made a whiskey drink similar to an old fashioned with muddled cherries at the bottom. The Berryoska and Paris 75 at Skyline Lounge were really good too. We got to try them during mixology. If Roland from Hungary is the bartender there he will not steer you wrong.

I believe the placeholder offer was 10% off the future cruise, but I am not 100% sure on that and would have to look at the paperwork

Can you remember the show rotation? We are booked for Remy, and I want to make sure it's not on the night of a show I want to watch. TIA

Can you remember the show rotation? We are booked for Remy, and I want to make sure it's not on the night of a show I want to watch. TIA
I am not sure about the first night as we did our dinner then. 2nd was Aladdin. I think the magician was 3rd and Frozen 2 4th. Then I think frozen musical on 5 and juggler on 6. Believe was the last night of the cruise

Hi there! Can you give your thoughts on the Jamaica Beach Break excursion? Do you think it would be worth the almost $400US for a family of 4, or if you could go back would you spend that money on something else?

Hi there! Can you give your thoughts on the Jamaica Beach Break excursion? Do you think it would be worth the almost $400US for a family of 4, or if you could go back would you spend that money on something else?
It’s a big inflatable obstacle course. You swim out to it and then you have a guide with you that shows you the obstacles and explains them. It is pretty physical. The kids had a great time. The included food was only OK. Our kids are pretty picky and wouldn’t eat any of the provided food. There is other food that is available for additional cost. The boys had a great time playing on the beach. We all enjoyed it, but it isn’t something that we would repeat in the future

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter