Just off the Dream...a few interesting points

My family doesn't bring electronic devices on vacation. We keep a cheapo TracFone in the Spiffymobile for travel information and emergencies, and other than that, we unplug. I'd be willing to go to Guest Services for a Navigator if I didn't have to wait in line for it... why not just set them out there somewhere so that those who want them can take one?

How have guests "overwhelmingly shared that they prefer the Navigator app"? Are they inferring this from the surveys? We may have given positive remarks regarding the app, but we do not consider it a replacement for the paper navigator!
We sailed a few times in the last months and all our post-cruise surveys, received by email after getting home, included specific questions regarding the app vs paper for activity planning. Having participated in maybe a hundred surveys from Disney in the parks, hotels, cruises, etc over the years, I’m certain they do not invent customer data but actually go out of their way to get a proper opinion sample before coming to a final decision on something, often after a test run.

If you automatically get a reusable bag every time you make a purchase, you are probably less likely to re-use it. Charging even a small amount for a reusable bag makes people think twice about even getting a bag and, if you've paid for it, you're less like to toss it out and may feel like you should use it again. Very few places where I live provide plastic bags without a charge (usually five cents) and only upon request and most people shop with reusable bags. It's just become a way of life. Both DH and I each have a bag of bags in our car and I carry a reusable bag in my backpack all the time. It's a painful and annoying changeover for most people but it becomes routine after a while.

I think my one potential issue with the reusable bag thing is how well it's communicated/set as an expectation with guests before they cruise--ditto the paper straws. Because I read these boards I know about both and I'll be bringing my own reusable bags (I prefer Chico bags because they stuff down small into built-in carry sacks and feel less onerous to carry around than the big, stiff bags that don't fold down--which the WDW reusables looked like to me in the photos I saw, dunno about DCL), and I'll be buying and bringing my own reusable straw because I don't care for paper straws. Both of those are good behavioral changes! I just think it'll be a rough transition period for people who don't obsessively read cruise forums and get on the ship not having those expectations and might be frustrated by it. Hopefully within a few years this becomes the norm, though, and people just go in expecting not to be given disposable items at every turn.

I think my one potential issue with the reusable bag thing is how well it's communicated/set as an expectation with guests before they cruise--ditto the paper straws. Because I read these boards I know about both and I'll be bringing my own reusable bags (I prefer Chico bags because they stuff down small into built-in carry sacks and feel less onerous to carry around than the big, stiff bags that don't fold down--which the WDW reusables looked like to me in the photos I saw, dunno about DCL)
The reusable bags used by DCL are the same as the ones now available in WDW. They have three sizes, all sold for 1$. They are in no way stiff and easily fold down to take little space in luggage. Of course, they have edges unlike the Chicos bags I know, but they are of pretty good quality and can be brought back home without planning extra room in your luggage.

My family doesn't bring electronic devices on vacation. We keep a cheapo TracFone in the Spiffymobile for travel information and emergencies, and other than that, we unplug. I'd be willing to go to Guest Services for a Navigator if I didn't have to wait in line for it... why not just set them out there somewhere so that those who want them can take one?

They're usually in a rack by Guest Services. I'd pick up a copy for the kids. Not sure if that's still the case. Sounds like you have to ask at Guest Services desk.

Appreciate the fyi on this:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

1)going to use my old ipod on the Dream for the navigator -

might use my Iphne XR - dont know just yet for the app usuage -
gonna be a little weird nibbling on milk and cookies at night...
while scrolling electronically thru the navigator but oh well -

2) and yes, thanks for the heads up as I am packing two reusable bags :goodvibes

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

Here is my concern: the paper Navigators have the cruise's port agents' contact info on them for each port day. I take those navigators with me when I go into port. The app is only accessible onboard so how are to find that info if we need it?

Here is my concern: the paper Navigators have the cruise's port agents' contact info on them for each port day. I take those navigators with me when I go into port. The app is only accessible onboard so how are to find that info if we need it?
I don’t know if that info is available in the app, but the app info does not disappear from the app on port days. Of course, the info does not update outside of the ship’s WiFi, but the previously downloaded info remains available. It disappears after the cruise ends.

I believe they were still leaving the 'shopping maps' in the rooms, which should have the port agent contact info.

We have always just taken a picture of that info with one of our phones before leaving the ship. It's just part of our port day routine.

I hope the reason for having the navigators at the desk is because they are tracking how many people ask for them. I REALLY need the paper copy in my room for before bed reading. I’m still mourning the death of the old multi-page navigators!

I don’t know if that info is available in the app, but the app info does not disappear from the app on port days. Of course, the info does not update outside of the ship’s WiFi, but the previously downloaded info remains available. It disappears after the cruise ends.

This bears repeating. Thank you.

Hi, just got off the Magic and they had the Navigators on a rack at guest services did not have to line up. Tried out the app on my tablet, it was fine but I do not take my tablet around the ship or ashore.

Hi, just got off the Magic and they had the Navigators on a rack at guest services did not have to line up. Tried out the app on my tablet, it was fine but I do not take my tablet around the ship or ashore.
Where they available the night before? or was it in the morning? Thanks.

Where they available the night before? or was it in the morning? Thanks.
I did not try at night, got one in the am. One part of the app that we did find helpful was under dinning they had the menus for each restaurant so we could browse them before we went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter