Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip! (updated 2/20/14)

When we last left off, we had just taken the fake monorail ride. That’s always a fun, quick little ride. I pulled my documents out and thankfully got us to Magical Express. Last time I flew into Orlando, I got myself lost in the airport. This time Morghan read and I navigated. We make a great team! I love how the airport has it marked on the big signs as well.

029.jpg

I love these:
030.jpg

The last time I flew Magical Express, I had to check in at the desk. This time though a nice man waved us by with a big Mickey glove. They checked our papers and sent us into the correct line. There was just one family in front of us.

031.jpg

We didn’t wait too long at all! Pretty soon we were directed out to this pretty sight:
032.jpg

I of course grabbed the front row, which Morghan thought was a little dorky of me. :rolleyes1 Apparently the cool kids sit at the back of the bus. Well, not at Disney!

033.jpg

The ride was nice. We watched the video and just relaxed and watched the beautiful sights pass us by.

034.jpg

Pretty soon, we saw this!!! This has got to be one of my most favorite signs in the world!

035.jpg

And then this one too!
036.jpg

We were so excited to be staying at a new resort! I had read great things about Port Orleans Riverside so couldn’t wait to see what everyone was talking about.

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

We found our way inside and the check-in lines were a bit of a mess. I had done online check-in before we arrived so knew to look for that line. No one else did apparently though because there was no one in that line.

042.jpg

The girl helping though wasn’t the most friendly, helpful CM ever. I was kind of bummed about that. I double checked our room requests and she wasn’t that thrilled about it all. I never like asking for anything extra or making waves so just did my best to smile and wait. It also took a very long time. I had plenty of time to snap more photos while waiting. Morghan sat in a very comfy chair and waited for me.

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

Soon we were ready to roll! Morghan was excited.
048.jpg

The view upon exiting was beautiful! It was a nice evening and we tried to take it all in! Look at this pretty guy:

051.jpg

052.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

Continued in next post...

We had booked a royal room. I requested the Oak Manor building as that was closer to the action it seemed from the map. Our room wasn’t the closest but it wasn’t awful either. Room #9068 would be our home for a few days.

057.jpg

Morghan really loved the room! I wondered if it would be too babyish or anything for her since she’s 13 and her love of Princesses is gone now. But no way! She really, really liked it. We both loved all of the little touches. Beware there are a ton of photos! I wanted to capture it all.

059.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

070.jpg

058.jpg

060.jpg

As I said before, we loved the Royal Room! If I had one little negative, it probably was the room seemed a little dark. That did not impact our positive opinion at all however!

By that time, we were starved. It was supper time and we hadn’t eaten for awhile. We made our way up to find some din din! Morghan and I were on the dining plan, which I was very excited about. It just worked really well for us. I loved having the convenience of our meals being pre-paid. We were a little overwhelmed with all of the offerings in the food court frankly! We were just getting our bearings, needed something to eat and it was a madhouse in there! We also wanted something from two separate lines so that made it a little trickier, along with balancing a tray and our mugs that came with the dining plan. We did it though!

075.jpg

074.jpg

073.jpg

Morghan chose the turkey meal from the carving station and I selected the make your own salad. We both really liked our food!

071.jpg

072.jpg

We filled up our mugs with our choices of drink and then saved our bottle of water to take into the park the next day. That seemed to work great when eating at the resort.

I remember sitting there, amongst the craziness being completely happy with where I was. I was in the Happiest Place on Earth, sitting alongside one of my favorite girls ever. We had a whole trip in front of us that we both had been planning for such a long time. At times, I wondered if the trip would need to be cancelled. I feel guilty doing things for myself sometimes so I had to fight that feeling often. Money is always an issue it seems. But we had made it. We were together and my biggest girl was 13. My daughter was a teenager and there was no rewinding time. She wouldn’t ever be my toddler or my preschooler. She wouldn’t let me choose her clothes or play Barbies with me. Morghan was a young lady and I was having a hard time with the fact that she was growing up. I wanted to capture this trip in a bottle and save the feelings up for a day when I needed cheering up. We were there and I felt very content and extremely blessed. Disney truly is our Happy Place. :goodvibes

Next up: Magic Kingdom!

Great update Kelli :) I know how you feel, my oldest DD turned 13 last year.. I wanted to do a special trip with her too... tried to talk her into Disney for a night (just DTD) I hear ya on the money front! but she had her heart set on going to the Mall of AMerica! which we did this past summer for the day b/c I wasn't about to go in the middle of Winter lol (her bday is in Feb)

The Royal rooms look awesome!! I love POR
can't wait to read more ;) what a special trip for you two!!

Great update Kelli! :goodvibes I love the royal rooms at POR. They look so nice! The POR food court can get very crazy. :crazy2: But they do have some great food! Looks like everything was off to a great start, well other than the less than enthused front desk CM. I hate when that happens.

Can't wait to hear more! :cool1:

Hi,

I just found your trip report and have enjoyed reading it. I am getting ready to take my first trip to disney with just my daughter and myself in May, (have been on several family trips but this is the first daddy daughter trip).

I got a bit choked up reading about how your daughter is really growing up on you, my daughter is only 6 and I already find myself missing things from two years ago and really see her growing up.:confused3 They do grow so fast.

We are staying in a Royal room at POR a she still loves the princesses so your pics were a great preview of what the rooms look like.

You are there!!! :cheer2:

The food looks good.

I remember sitting there, amongst the craziness being completely happy with where I was. I was in the Happiest Place on Earth, sitting alongside one of my favorite girls ever. We had a whole trip in front of us that we both had been planning for such a long time. At times, I wondered if the trip would need to be cancelled. I feel guilty doing things for myself sometimes so I had to fight that feeling often. Money is always an issue it seems. But we had made it. We were together and my biggest girl was 13.
Morghan was a young lady and I was having a hard time with the fact that she was growing up. I wanted to capture this trip in a bottle and save the feelings up for a day when I needed cheering up. We were there and I felt very content and extremely blessed. Disney truly is our Happy Place. :goodvibes

Which is why I was so hoping this trip would not be scratched during those times of doubt. ::yes::

I know that feeling. Claire and I had that our first day too. Such a special moment.

your room looks awesome. that is my goal, to stay in a royal room next trip. Did the distance bother you at all?

I remember sitting there, amongst the craziness being completely happy with where I was. I was in the Happiest Place on Earth, sitting alongside one of my favorite girls ever. We had a whole trip in front of us that we both had been planning for such a long time. At times, I wondered if the trip would need to be cancelled. I feel guilty doing things for myself sometimes so I had to fight that feeling often. Money is always an issue it seems. But we had made it. We were together and my biggest girl was 13. My daughter was a teenager and there was no rewinding time. She wouldn’t ever be my toddler or my preschooler. She wouldn’t let me choose her clothes or play Barbies with me. Morghan was a young lady and I was having a hard time with the fact that she was growing up. I wanted to capture this trip in a bottle and save the feelings up for a day when I needed cheering up. We were there and I felt very content and extremely blessed. Disney truly is our Happy Place. :goodvibes

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Love this!!!

I can totally relate to everything you stated. When me & my DD go on these trips together, I feel the same way.

I just love mom/daughter trips! It's such a great way to spend time with our "little girls"!

A couple others copied that last paragraph too and I wanted to say how beautiful that is! Great sentiment and really sums up how we all feel about Disney and our kids. :thumbsup2:love: Well put!! I'm so happy that you guys made the trip!

The room is just beautiful - I've not seen pictures of the Royal Rooms before, but it is definitely an improvement over the old version of the rooms in the mansions. They were okay (we were there in 2008), but these are very pretty!
I'm glad you took LOTS of pictures.
Your food looks good too - I think that POR has one of the best QS on property - there are so many choices!

Your room at POR looks amazing! We used to stay there often and I really loved it. :goodvibes

I will always, always try to find a seat at the front of the ME bus (on the way there, at least.) I love the video they show, and getting to see that sign! Can't wait to read about your MK night!

Wow, I want to stay in a Royal room! So pretty! Love all your pictures.

Port Orleans is so pretty. Never stayed there but have always wanted too.

I totally know that feeling. I had that last year with Jeremy on our mother/son trip.

Can't wait to hear about your MK day. :surfweb:

Your room at POR was beautiful! This made me tear up a little bit:

This is why these trips with our kids are so important. They are only young once and that time slips away so fast! It’s hard to believe my kids will be 14 and 10 soon, when I am pretty sure they were babies just yesterday! It looks like you and Morghan had a wonderful start to your trip and I am excited to read more about it!

Great update Kelli :) I know how you feel, my oldest DD turned 13 last year.. I wanted to do a special trip with her too... tried to talk her into Disney for a night (just DTD) I hear ya on the money front! but she had her heart set on going to the Mall of AMerica! which we did this past summer for the day b/c I wasn't about to go in the middle of Winter lol (her bday is in Feb)

The Royal rooms look awesome!! I love POR
can't wait to read more ;) what a special trip for you two!!

The Mall of America seems like lots of fun! We live in Minnesota and still have never been there! How embarrassing. :blush: Thanks for reading along with me.

Great update Kelli! :goodvibes I love the royal rooms at POR. They look so nice! The POR food court can get very crazy. :crazy2: But they do have some great food! Looks like everything was off to a great start, well other than the less than enthused front desk CM. I hate when that happens.

Can't wait to hear more! :cool1:

Hey Shelly! The CM wasn't rude but she wasn't very nice either. Oh well! I was just happy to be there. And yes, the food court was kind of crazy. Still lots of good choices though! :thumbsup2

Hi,

I just found your trip report and have enjoyed reading it. I am getting ready to take my first trip to disney with just my daughter and myself in May, (have been on several family trips but this is the first daddy daughter trip).

I got a bit choked up reading about how your daughter is really growing up on you, my daughter is only 6 and I already find myself missing things from two years ago and really see her growing up.:confused3 They do grow so fast.

We are staying in a Royal room at POR a she still loves the princesses so your pics were a great preview of what the rooms look like.

Hi there, welcome, welcome! :wave2: Your trip in May with your daughter will be sooooo wonderful. I'm excited for you! I agree, they grow up too fast. It's hard as a parent watching that. You just want to stop time for awhile. I hope you love POR!

You are there!!! :cheer2:

The food looks good.

Which is why I was so hoping this trip would not be scratched during those times of doubt. ::yes::

Thanks for hoping for me MeMom! You know this all too well. :goodvibes

I know that feeling. Claire and I had that our first day too. Such a special moment.

your room looks awesome. that is my goal, to stay in a royal room next trip. Did the distance bother you at all?

It was definitely special. The distance wasn't bad. A little tiring once in awhile but no, not bad. :)

Love this!!!

I can totally relate to everything you stated. When me & my DD go on these trips together, I feel the same way.

I just love mom/daughter trips! It's such a great way to spend time with our "little girls"!

Thank you. There is something really special about moms and daughters. Thanks for hanging out here with me. :flower3:

A couple others copied that last paragraph too and I wanted to say how beautiful that is! Great sentiment and really sums up how we all feel about Disney and our kids. :thumbsup2:love: Well put!! I'm so happy that you guys made the trip!

The room is just beautiful - I've not seen pictures of the Royal Rooms before, but it is definitely an improvement over the old version of the rooms in the mansions. They were okay (we were there in 2008), but these are very pretty!
I'm glad you took LOTS of pictures.
Your food looks good too - I think that POR has one of the best QS on property - there are so many choices!

Hi Sheree! I don't remember seeing pictures of the old rooms. These ones are sure pretty. I'm so glad we gave them a try. Yes, POR has tons of food choices!! :upsidedow

Your room at POR looks amazing! We used to stay there often and I really loved it. :goodvibes

I will always, always try to find a seat at the front of the ME bus (on the way there, at least.) I love the video they show, and getting to see that sign! Can't wait to read about your MK night!

Ok, so I am not alone in my love of the front row. Woohoo! Morghan thought I was a dork. ;)

Wow, I want to stay in a Royal room! So pretty! Love all your pictures.

Port Orleans is so pretty. Never stayed there but have always wanted too.

I totally know that feeling. I had that last year with Jeremy on our mother/son trip.

Can't wait to hear about your MK day. :surfweb:

You should definitely try to stay there. Staying right there by the river is just really, really peaceful. I loved the vibe. :goodvibes

Your room at POR was beautiful! This made me tear up a little bit:

This is why these trips with our kids are so important. They are only young once and that time slips away so fast! It’s hard to believe my kids will be 14 and 10 soon, when I am pretty sure they were babies just yesterday! It looks like you and Morghan had a wonderful start to your trip and I am excited to read more about it!

Thank you Erin. Gosh am I having a hard time with this growing up thing. It seriously just stinks! :sad:

Just caught up on your TR! loving it. :)

Hey, hey!! Please stick around. :wave2:

I am finally here and you have me in tears!!!

But we had made it. We were together and my biggest girl was 13. My daughter was a teenager and there was no rewinding time. She wouldn’t ever be my toddler or my preschooler. She wouldn’t let me choose her clothes or play Barbies with me. Morghan was a young lady and I was having a hard time with the fact that she was growing up. I wanted to capture this trip in a bottle and save the feelings up for a day when I needed cheering up. We were there and I felt very content and extremely blessed. Disney truly is our Happy Place. :goodvibes

:hug:

Beautifully said.

Cannot wait to hear more about it all!

I am finally here and you have me in tears!!!

:hug:

Beautifully said.

Cannot wait to hear more about it all!

I'm in tears now too, re-reading that. There was just lots of emotion for me in this trip. I'm so happy you are here Brook! :hug:

I love the room! And I love that you made this trip work for you & Morghan! :goodvibes

Hi Amy! Thank you! I'm so glad it worked for us. :goodvibes I'm missing Disney a lot right now!

When I last left off, we were finishing up supper in the food court at POR, where we were staying. We had just checked in and had our whole trip in front of us! You know how exciting that feeling is. Darkness was falling so we gathered up our things and made the way back to our room. We lingered around the main pool for a while, checking out the sites there. By the time we got back to our room, I thought we would have our bags. But no-go. I was getting really sleepy. Travel days always make me super tired. I had carried on my laptop so caught up on some work while we waited for our bags. Finally about six hours after our plane landed, our bags made it to our room! We soon were asleep. :cloud9:

The next day was our Magic Kingdom day. This trip was very short (3 park days total) so we knew we had to make it a big day. And we always, ALWAYS start off in Magic Kingdom. Always! Morghan is not a morning person and is not fun waking up in the morning. :rolleyes1 Even while being in Disney World, I got some of that teenage attitude that morning. I had set the alarm so we could make rope drop with no problem. I was able to drag her out of bed finally and we left the room on time. It was a bright sunny October 16th morning in Florida. We grabbed some snacks from our room for breakfast so ate those while waiting for the bus. We didn’t wait long and soon we were at the Magic Kingdom!

Look how clear this day was!

078.jpg

We stood in the rope drop line behind this cool guy. He had tons of Disney gear on. Look at all those buttons. :)

079.jpg

Gosh, I love this place. This was the first time I have been there with the Halloween decorations and they are much better in person! I loved the look of them online but they are really something else up close. :goodvibes

081.jpg

Soon it was time to get our Magic Kingdom on!

082.jpg

084.jpg

Hello gorgeous-

086.jpg

We saw these lovely ladies but did not stop.

087.jpg

Morghan is a dare devil! So she moaned a little bit about hitting Fantasyland first. Too bad, so sad. Peter Pan was first! She was happy there was no line and I told her that was my goal for the majority of the day! Moms usually know what they are doing. ;)

First ride of the trip!

088.jpg

Then to Small World… Why do people complain about this? It’s a classic!

091.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

096.jpg

Of course, no line there either. No more complaining, lol!

We skipped Winnie the Pooh out of compromise. I was bummed but didn’t let it show too much. It was her 13th birthday trip so we just moved on. Splash was next! It wasn’t hot but it wasn’t chilly so I was okay with this. We headed that way and again, just a walk on.

098.jpg

099.jpg

It’s funny when you rope drop, you see a lot of the same families on a lot of the same rides in the morning. Great minds! We ended up in line with a nice couple, with two boys. They boys were a lot of fun and were jealous that Morghan and I got to be in the first row for Splash. I would gladly switch my spot but again, Morghan is a daredevil!

These ride pictures kill me. Morghan laughs and I scream, very typical of the two of us. Ha!

100.jpg

Continued in next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter