Just how terrible is it in August?

Selket

Been there - done that
We're thinking of taking advantage of the rates at the Courtyard hotel in DTD before school starts so it would be a mid-August trip. At that time our kids will be almost 6 and another who will be 19 months old (not walking - may not be walking then either as his walking is delayed). Would we all just die in the heat? Are the crowds terrible? We live near Washington, DC and it can get hot and miserable here too - but I don't usually try to spend the day outside in it!

Any info appreciated!

Carol

Me, my sister and two nieces (5 and 1-1/2) will be there sweating it out with you. See ya' there!

P.S. How bad could it really be? It's pretty hot and steamy here in Cleveland so I think we can take it! I know I'd rather be at Disney even in the sweltering heat and humidity than at work any day! I am a bit concerned about the girls and how they will hold up so I am looking for practical tips on how to keep them cool.

Hi Carol :p

We almost always go in August to Disney and love it. Although you are outside quite a bit, you are also in and out of the buildings a lot...at least we were so although it is hot, and let's face it it is, it's not *too* bad. I am a summer girl and love the hot weather so it doesn't bother me. I guess you have to think about your kids ~ how are they with the DC summers? When you step off the plane or out of the car you get that initial slap in the face of Florida heat but after a little while you get used to it. I've been 6 times and it's always just as hot up here as it is down there ~ go and have fun!

Here's another vote for August! I got married there in August. This year, we are taking a Christmas trip, but we'll be back there next August. I love the heat....it forces you to relax and have a good time. We're up and out early, we drink lots of water, we leave the parks around noon, go shopping, to the pool, relax at the hotel, see a movie, go to DisneyQuest, then we shower and we're ready to hit the parks again at 5pm for the night when the sun goes down and it gets cooler.

The thunderstorms are a bit of a pain, but they help because most people run and hide. We throw on the ponchos and keep going. Yes, it's hot. Yes, there are torrential downpours and bad thunderstorms that last for about half an hour. But, you don't expect it to be 70 degrees and sunny all the time, so (hopefully) there won't be many surprises. Just don't try to do too much at once, drink plenty of water, wear strong sunblock and have a great time!

I have been there 3 times in Aug and am going again this Aug. Yes it is hot but last Aug it was hotter in NJ than it was in DW.
Just be prepared for thunderstorms and enjoy the rain. A lot of people leave but if you have your ponchos it is a lot of fun.

Hello Selket. I also live in the DC area -- Bowie. Summers in Florida are hot just like Washington, but it seems to be more humid in Florida. Go to someplace like Walmart or Target and buy the Spray Fan Water Bottles. (They are a lot cheaper there than at the parks.) They really help to keep you cooler while you are in Florida. Yes the summers are hot, but I'll take the heat over the snow any day of the week. By the way, I spent the week of this year's blizzard in sunny Florida with my daughter and my grandchildren.

We'll be there in August, too! We can't take our kids out of school, so August was our only option.
I think that I will be the one having trouble tolerating the heat. DH works in it, and the kids play in it, so I think THEY will be fine! See all of you in August!!!:Pinkbounc

We have been once in June and about 3 or 4 times in August. It is really really hot, but what we do is go to parks in the morning.Then we head back before lunch to eat and swim. Sometimes we go over to one of the hotels for lunch. We usually head back later in the day. Also like someone else said , alot of stuff is actually inside. Just take your time. Esp. if you have little ones. The sprayer fan is great for summer. Also drink lots of water. Dont forget the Mickey ice cream bars'''''

We go every year in August. Yes, it is hot, you will spend a lot on water bottles, but you are in and out of buildings. If you go the middle of August or later, most kids in the US are back in school, so it is not crowded. With the fast pass and the small crowds, we hardly ever wait in line. ALlyou need to bring to FLorida that time of year are shorts and tank tops.

Once a day there will usually be a torrential down pour that lasts from 20-40 minutes. We ususally eat at that time, or do an inside ride. Carrying poncho's helps as well. It is hot, so even if you get wet, you dry off really quickly. You get wet on many rides anyhow, so no big deal.

The parks are open late, and there are usually 2-3 E-ride nights a week. Having gone to DIsneyLAND during CHristmas and Easter where crowds are at their peak, going to WDW in August was great.

If you stay at the Disney Resorts, you can ususally get a value rate. I highly recommend August. It is also great if you do a water park. I just had my left hip replaced two and a half weeks ago, but am hoping to be ready for August again this year. Have fun!

Thanks to everyone for their comments! I'm surprised how positive they are! We could go late august just before school starts which would be fun for my older son I"m sure. I would like the ability to go to the parks in the evening.

Thanks again!
Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter