Just Hold On, We're Going Home...All 11 of Us Are Going to Mickeystoontown's Home! Update 10/27

Oh the ups and downs of TOPS. I sure hope they get it worked out before Danielle goes to college next year. Where is Hunter going?

I hope everything works out with the financial aid. I remember going through that with my daughter and it was a pain, but very helpful in the end!

I also have good news. I took an early retirement last year, but I've been bored with it and realized it was really too soon. Well, even before I seriously started looking for a job a wonderful opportunity kinda fell in my lap, and I'm very happy to have a full time job again! This will help a lot with paying for Disney trips!

Terri

I'm going to get an update done while I have the time and then come back with replies.

A dinner worth roarin' about!

We left the restaurant and went into the store to have a look around but not before I took one last picture of the roarin' dino.

IMG_0507 (768x1024).jpg

Y'all, the t-shirts for sale were so funny! I would have loved to have had them all.

IMG_0508 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0509 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0510 (768x1024).jpg

After laughing at the various shirts and some of the other merchandise, we looked around just a bit more but it was getting quite crowded.

IMG_0512 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0511 (768x1024).jpg

Okay, so it doesn't look crowded in the picture above but it really was. Crowded like you turned around and there was somebody in your face crowded.Time to hightail it outta there and move on other areas of Disney Springs. We stopped here and there and then over yonder and found ourselves at Once Upon a Toy where we spotted a hidden Mickey!

IMG_0515 (768x1024).jpg

and found a limited edition pressed penny machine. Look at the price! That's a pretty penny to pay for a pretty penny.

IMG_0516 (768x1024).jpg

If memory serves me right, we went to Mickey Traders, stopped to look at the little nook type store that sells pet accessories, bought some Florida Sunshine seasoning in Mickey's Pantry and then called it a night. Tomorrow, Lacey, Jesse and his family were joining us at Walt Disney World! We were going to show the newbies our favorite place in the world!

**Up Next: You had me at macadamia nut!

You had me at macadamia nut!

Today was the day that Lacey and the rest of the Mickeystoontown gang were arriving at Walt Disney World! But, they weren't scheduled to arrive until the afternoon so I booked a breakfast reservation at Kona. Everybody always raves about the food at Kona and we had given dinner a shot but not breakfast.

Even though we had a car at our disposal, we never drive anywhere onsite so we were using Disney transportation to get us to and from the resort; therefore, I allowed an hour to get there and it was more than enough time. Our bus arrived at the Magic Kingdom bus stop and we made the walk over to the resort monorail. Had we wanted to, we could have chosen to take boat transportation to the Polynesian Village Resort but we were in a monorail kinda mood that morning.

We hadn't been to the Polynesian since the “new” lobby had debuted at the resort. I have to say that it was beautiful! The colors were gorgeous and it felt more airy and festive.
IMG_0520 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0521 (768x1024).jpg

We checked into Kona Cafe, were given a buzzer and it went off about five minutes after we had checked in which was very quick in my opinion.
IMG_0522 (768x1024).jpg

We were seated in a booth table near the wall of the restaurant and our server was there waiting on us. He took our morning drinks orders and gave us menus.
IMG_0523 (768x1024).jpg

The Tonga Toast had come highly recommended and I had fully intended to order it but another entree caught my eye. The Big Kahuna: French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage. Even though I knew that I’d probably never be able to finish it myself, the pancakes with pineapple sauce and macadamia nut butter sealed the deal. I love macadamia nuts AND pineapple so ordering this dish was sure to be a win-win for me. Our server brought out our drink orders while John and Hunter decided what they wanted.
IMG_0524 (768x1024).jpg

By the time our server came back around (the way that I said that sounded like it was a long time but it really wasn't), Hunter and John has made their decisions and the server put in our orders.

Hunter isn’t a fan of any type of sauces but potatoes and french bread are two of his favorites so he ordered: French Toast with your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage. He and I made a deal that I’d give him my share of potatoes from my plate in exchange for the slice of pineapple on his. He ended up devouring the french toast and eating another slice from my plate as well. Guess that means that the french toast was a big hit for him.

IMG_0527 (1024x768).jpg

My entree, the macadamia-pineapple pancakes:

IMG_0526 (1024x768).jpg

John ordered the Two Eggs any style: with Home-fried Potatoes and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage.You’ll notice that there is a biscuit on his plate but it doesn’t normally come with the platter. He had to order that extra and ended up asking for another later in the service.

IMG_0525 (1024x768).jpg

I’ll preface the final review to say that we usually skip breakfast while on vacation and even at home. We tend to eat breakfast type foods during dinner time at our house as many Southern families do. We weren’t blown away like some of the other reviewers but that certainly doesn’t mean that we didn’t enjoy our meals. We did. The Big Kahuna was big enough to share (and I did), the French Toast received two thumbs up and the eggs-over-easy were cooked just as my husband requested. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest, I’d rate Kona Cafe as a solid 8.

Just as we were settling the bill, Lacey called. They were making good time and it wouldn't be long before they were there. The sneaks had left earlier that anticipated and didn't tell us! I told her that I had written down the exit numbers that they needed to take instead of the ones that MapQuest provided and, as soon as we made it back to the resort, I'd get them for her and call her back. Over the years, we've tweaked the driving directions and go further down I-75 than MapQuest suggests and it cuts down on the slow down....speed up....slow down....speed up...that you get when you go through all of the little towns that MapQuest suggests.

We boarded the monorail and then leisurely walked over to the bus stops.

IMG_0532 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0533.JPG

Lacey called again when we were almost to the resort and they were nearing the exit that MapQuest told them to take. They were traveling in three different cars and she was trying to relay the directions to everybody. As soon as we got to the CBR, I rushed to the room, got the key to the car, pulled out the directions and called her back. It was too late, they had already taken the slow down...speed up....exit. Oh well, they'd still be at the resort soon and that's all that mattered!

**Up next: The gang's all here!

We have been victim to the dump shop at TREX a few times. No shirts but a couple of dinos.

We found the change in the Poly nice too. I miss the waterfall but it is bigger and better lighting for pictures. I've done Kona diner and lunch(after wedding meal) but never breakfast. It looked yummy.

Good news that Lacey was close. I'm sorry she missed the exit. We drive most trips. I need to get that shortcut from you too.

I'm going to put a plug out there for a trip report I finally started. My middle child got married Easter week 2015 at Disney. The link is in my signature.

Looking forward to more

I have to say all the food from Kona Cafe looked delicious. I've never been there but would love to try it out. I know this is the part you are anxiously awaiting. The arrival of your daughter! I can't wait to hear if her extended family loves Disney as much as you.

That food from Kona made me so hungry!!! We too aren't big breakfast eaters. We love Kona for breakfast though. We try to go there at least once on every trip. Unfortunately, we didn't make it this past trip. Hopefully next time.

Nice update! So glad that the rest of the group is on the way!

We did a Kona Cafe breakfast on our last trip and really enjoyed it. I was stuck between those pineapple macadamia pancakes and the Tonga toast too and the Tonga Toast won out. I think if I go there again it will be the pineapple/macadamia pancakes.

If you don't mind me asking - about how much did your breakfast for three come to? I'm always hesitant on eating out for breakfast just because of the price tag. When my kids were littles, it was a different story. But with three adult appetites and a child, it's always a bit of a sticker shock for me.

We used to do breakfast a lot - especially buffet since they were younger and either free or on the child pricing. Plus, it was always a great way to see characters at some of the buffets.

In April we got in at CP at the last minute one day and although the characters were fun, we just don't eat enough to make it worth it. I always feel like I'd prefer to spend that $$$ elsewhere - like a good dinner or lunch.

My boyfriend LOVED Kona Cafe! I have some dietary issues so I ended up with just regular French toast, but that + lilikoi juice made it worth it for us! We have it scheduled for this upcoming trip to give it another try and I hope I get to be a little more adventurous. I'm so excited the rest of the family is joining up to you guys now!

First off- no worries and no apologies needed about not being able to get here often. You have always been a busy woman, and these past few months have been crazier than normal for you. That is nuts about the last minute financial aid and signup for Hunter.

:faint:

We have dined at T-Rex many times and you are absolutely correct about the confusing check-in process there. You are also right about being able to get reservations there by calling the restaurant directly when you can't get one through Disney. I have passed along that tip a few times.

Such a fun restaurant and the food is always great and plentiful! Ha-ha, knew what you were going to order! But Hunter's meal surprised me.

Pretty Poly!

Kona is my favorite breakfast. I dream about those Macadamia-Freakin'- Pineapple Pancakes. YUMMMMM!!!! I was just thinking about Tonga Toast. I keep meaning to find the recipe and make it for Nate. I was thinking I should do that before he goes to school (in two weeks *sniff*) or maybe when he comes home for a visit.

::yes::

Financial aid is always a pain in the rear no matter what. I'm sorry Hunter is going through that. Hopefully it all gets worked out :)

I believe i am all caught up now.. WAY too much to comment on but your pictures are awesome and hilarious!
If we were ever to go to one of the water parks i think i would like typhoon Lagoon? Only because of the snorkeling? maybe?
That dang Boardwalk not having any fun stuff going on! maybe it's a good thing we changed our minds!?
I HOPE the Poly has those fancy schmancy washer and dryers!

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Death and jobs.
Congrats on getting back up and back onto the saddle again! HUGS!!

I'm still working the two jobs, sewing, canning veggies from the garden, and still trying to pull in travel business. Oh and we found out that the state funded financial aid program that went caput is back up and running but just barely. No funds were distributed over the Summer but they are offering some awards for the Fall semester. And, we got the email on Monday that Hunter probably qualified but he had to enroll in college that same day. THE.SAME.DAY. He, along with hundreds of other students showed up on campus and waited and waited and waited. He finally finished up his paperwork and, yesterday, got the email that he did receive the funding. But, today, it's gone from his student page. This has been super stressful to say the least. Hopefully, fingers crossed, he may actually get the State financial aid and possibly Federal aid as well. Just have to make sure that we get all the paperwork turned in (that we have already turned in like 78 times).

Oh, man. That sounds nuts! And very stressful. Hoping you guys get this all worked out and your life settles down soon!

I'm not a huge pancake fan, but those pancakes on the Big Kahuna look super yummy with the pineapple & macadamia nut butter!

Loving your trip report! We are driving down for the first time from GA next Fall and I would love to get your I-75 exit recommendations! To clarify, we are frequent WDW visitors, but have always flown due to my hubby traveling for work and providing us with airline miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter