Just finished a split stay at Riviera and Grand Floridian, a few observations

Strimp

Earning My Ears
Just got back from a great trip staying at both Riviera and Grand Floridian. A few thoughts on each.

I absolutely loved Riviera. We stayed in a studio with a standard view on the east wing and it had an unimpeded view of Spaceship Earth which was fantastic. Yes, there was also a view of the parking lot, but no more so than a theme park view at Bay Lake Tower. The scent they pump into that resort is absolutely fantastic, it really leaves a good impression. The lobby is small, but very nice. The only thing I truly cannot understand about this lobby is the tiny stairs that go down to the ground level, this is the one point where I just scratch my head and wonder what they were thinking. Everything else works great in my opinion. Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the look of the exterior of the hotel and think the grounds and pools are beautiful. I have no problem with being next to Caribbean Beach, as I am relatively new to Disney and do not have a lot of preconceived opinions regarding a deluxe being next to a moderate. I really just thought it looked like we were next to a nice, large resort. Optics wise, and I understand the theming doesn't really go hand in hand, but it looks really nice in the background. I will touch on this more when I talk about Grand Floridian, but our view from the Grand was of the Polynesian, and it looked just as close as Caribbean Beach. I loved seeing the Polynesian and realize you are looking at a Deluxe vs. Moderate, but the theming is equally incongruous, so I am not sure what the issue is with the Riviera's proximity to Caribbean Beach? The rooms at the Riviera are obviously nice, but they are also new, so time will tell on how well the furnishings hold up. However, the layout of the studio is truly awesome, and the space worked out great for us. Murphy Bed, two showers, and little Murphy Bed under the TV all seemed to make very good use of the space. We had our daughter (3) and nephew (6) with us and what they really loved was being able to crawl under the bed and pretend it was a fort, very cool for them. The closet was also very big and the placement of the closet was off to the side where you could fit a large stroller in front of it while not being in the way of the main walkway and still be able to access the closet without having to move the stroller. That was hugely helpful. I loved the location and the skyliner, had no issues getting to HS or Epcot. Granted, weather could be a factor. Food at Toppolino's was phenomenal. Primo Piatto was excellent. Bar Riva was awesome, but I do wish it was inside the gates to the pool. Also, what is up with Disney not allowing you to have a drink with you at the hot tub or pool, that is a real bummer in my opinion?! Lastly, I absolutely love the small footprint of the resort, where it is easy to get to quick service, table service, coffee, etc. Being self contained is a huge plus in my opinion.

Grand Floridian is beautiful. Location with walkway to Magic Kingdom simply cannot be beat when visiting that park. It is a longer walk than from the Contemporary, but it is also a much prettier walk. I really like the location of the DVC building a Grand Floridian, super easy access to monorail, pool, spa and main lobby. However, it is a little bit of a hike to the quick service, nothing bad, but it isn't just taking the elevator down and being there. I think the rooms at GF are smaller than Riviera, only really noticed it in two ways. 1. The bed at Grand Floridian only has one nightstand and a drawer that runs into it, effectively blocking off access to it. Not sure why they wouldn't have put the nightstand on the other side so you would have access to all three drawers that are built into the bed? 2. The closet is noticeably smaller with no room to leave a stroller out of the way. One huge plus the Grand Floridian has over Riviera is the water pressure in the shower, it was amazing, and the Riviera's was lacking. I am sure it has to do with new building codes and conservation, but it makes a big difference. A neat novelty item that hasn't aged well is the TV in the bathroom mirror, could have used that money elsewhere as it was hard to turn on, nearly impossible to find anything you wanted to watch and basically a very dim picture. Grand Floridian rooms are older and it shows, can't knock it for this, but the wooden tables and furniture was looking pretty rough. The lobby was nice, but there had been a huge water leak the night before so there were buckets everywhere and the Mary Poppin fountain was being refurbished so nothing to see there.

Overall, I thought each resort was great and would be happy to stay in either of them again. If you could manage split stays between the two for Magic Kingdom portion and Epcot/Hollywood studios portion, would highly recommend them both

One other quick observation regarding our trip. Something really needs to be done about Animal Kingdom in the age of Covid. There is very little to do there and the lines wrapping around everywhere is horrible. Vibe wise, one of my favorite parks, but the lines for just about everything was really horrendous. With park hopping back it is not as big of a deal, but I don't think it would be justifiable to spend upwards of 160.00 per person at that park right now. Riding Everest, we were back in Dino land, it was nuts.

lol - I never thought I'd use the mirror TV's when they announced them but do every trip. Never an issue turning them on or finding a channel to have on.

Last edited:

Our TV in the mirror would just turn on, show a picture then go black. Both of them did this in our 2 bedroom. It was weird. Haven’t stayed at RIV yet. Maybe some year. We do not own there and standard rooms disappear fast.

I’ve heard about the small staircase. Is there any other way to get to ground level? An elevator?

I thought the same exact thing about the staircase when visiting Riviera recently!

Sounds like water troubles have been happening for a while now at GF. We experienced them mid December in Big Pine Key. Lovely stay though!

I’ve heard about the small staircase. Is there any other way to get to ground level? An elevator?
Sure, the elevator will take you there, but it makes no sense as they could have just made it wider. It is a beautiful large window with a tiny staircase, just doesn't make sense to me. That being said, it did not affect any part of my stay, just really a missed opportunity.

However, it is a little bit of a hike to the quick service, nothing bad, but it isn't just taking the elevator down and being there.

We just bought DVC at Copper Creek and Riviera in August. Our first stay was 4 nights at CC then moving over to BCV for 3 nights. We've stayed at other Disney hotels and this is something I really appreciate. Especially since we get the Refillable mugs as a family since our trips are usually 12-14 days so its a no brainer. Proximity to the drink stations can really become a hassle if they are far away. Something I noticed a lot at stating at AKL, the Boardwalk, and at the Beach Club. We used to stay at Pop and All Star Movies and it wasn't a big deal since the busses dropped you off at the lobby or you got a bus and went to the parks through through the lobby you could easily get drinks there but not stating in DVC specific buildings sometimes the walks are longer.

Staying at CCV it was really nice being in the same building as Roaring fork to get drinks or coffee in the morning and late at night. With the Beach club we needed to walk outside and a little farther. Poly is kind of the same and a nice walk depending on what DVC building you are staying in to Captain Cooks to get drinks or food. With the VGF the walk might be even farther since the DVC building is on one side and the Gaspirilla Grill(? I think?) is on the other side of the lobby farther away.

With Riviera its similar to CCV with it being all in the main building and an elevator trip away. This is something I'm really going to appreciate with a Stroller when we have kids in the Future. I could see the treck at VGF or Poly being a sore spot especially if its raining in the morning or something.

Since we first visited Riviera last Christmas I've always coined it as the French Quarter of DVC since its much much more compact and quaint compared to other hotels. Almost as if it was only BLT without the Contemporary or WL without the cabins or Boulder Ridge.

Last edited:
Just got back from a great trip staying at both Riviera and Grand Floridian. A few thoughts on each.

I absolutely loved Riviera. We stayed in a studio with a standard view on the east wing and it had an unimpeded view of Spaceship Earth which was fantastic. Yes, there was also a view of the parking lot, but no more so than a theme park view at Bay Lake Tower. The scent they pump into that resort is absolutely fantastic, it really leaves a good impression. The lobby is small, but very nice. The only thing I truly cannot understand about this lobby is the tiny stairs that go down to the ground level, this is the one point where I just scratch my head and wonder what they were thinking. Everything else works great in my opinion. Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the look of the exterior of the hotel and think the grounds and pools are beautiful. I have no problem with being next to Caribbean Beach, as I am relatively new to Disney and do not have a lot of preconceived opinions regarding a deluxe being next to a moderate. I really just thought it looked like we were next to a nice, large resort. Optics wise, and I understand the theming doesn't really go hand in hand, but it looks really nice in the background. I will touch on this more when I talk about Grand Floridian, but our view from the Grand was of the Polynesian, and it looked just as close as Caribbean Beach. I loved seeing the Polynesian and realize you are looking at a Deluxe vs. Moderate, but the theming is equally incongruous, so I am not sure what the issue is with the Riviera's proximity to Caribbean Beach? The rooms at the Riviera are obviously nice, but they are also new, so time will tell on how well the furnishings hold up. However, the layout of the studio is truly awesome, and the space worked out great for us. Murphy Bed, two showers, and little Murphy Bed under the TV all seemed to make very good use of the space. We had our daughter (3) and nephew (6) with us and what they really loved was being able to crawl under the bed and pretend it was a fort, very cool for them. The closet was also very big and the placement of the closet was off to the side where you could fit a large stroller in front of it while not being in the way of the main walkway and still be able to access the closet without having to move the stroller. That was hugely helpful. I loved the location and the skyliner, had no issues getting to HS or Epcot. Granted, weather could be a factor. Food at Toppolino's was phenomenal. Primo Piatto was excellent. Bar Riva was awesome, but I do wish it was inside the gates to the pool. Also, what is up with Disney not allowing you to have a drink with you at the hot tub or pool, that is a real bummer in my opinion?! Lastly, I absolutely love the small footprint of the resort, where it is easy to get to quick service, table service, coffee, etc. Being self contained is a huge plus in my opinion.

Grand Floridian is beautiful. Location with walkway to Magic Kingdom simply cannot be beat when visiting that park. It is a longer walk than from the Contemporary, but it is also a much prettier walk. I really like the location of the DVC building a Grand Floridian, super easy access to monorail, pool, spa and main lobby. However, it is a little bit of a hike to the quick service, nothing bad, but it isn't just taking the elevator down and being there. I think the rooms at GF are smaller than Riviera, only really noticed it in two ways. 1. The bed at Grand Floridian only has one nightstand and a drawer that runs into it, effectively blocking off access to it. Not sure why they wouldn't have put the nightstand on the other side so you would have access to all three drawers that are built into the bed? 2. The closet is noticeably smaller with no room to leave a stroller out of the way. One huge plus the Grand Floridian has over Riviera is the water pressure in the shower, it was amazing, and the Riviera's was lacking. I am sure it has to do with new building codes and conservation, but it makes a big difference. A neat novelty item that hasn't aged well is the TV in the bathroom mirror, could have used that money elsewhere as it was hard to turn on, nearly impossible to find anything you wanted to watch and basically a very dim picture. Grand Floridian rooms are older and it shows, can't knock it for this, but the wooden tables and furniture was looking pretty rough. The lobby was nice, but there had been a huge water leak the night before so there were buckets everywhere and the Mary Poppin fountain was being refurbished so nothing to see there.

Overall, I thought each resort was great and would be happy to stay in either of them again. If you could manage split stays between the two for Magic Kingdom portion and Epcot/Hollywood studios portion, would highly recommend them both
Thank you for such a helpful post full of "news you can use." As a new DVC owner, I spend way too much time contemplating my dream split stay. You just answered it for me!

Ive been hoping to stay at the Riviera for a while. Really appreciate the in-depth review.

Did they have the giant chess pieces set up, or are those still taken out for covid?

Ive been hoping to stay at the Riviera for a while. Really appreciate the in-depth review.

Did they have the giant chess pieces set up, or are those still taken out for covid?
I don't specifically remember the giant chess pieces. I did see people playing bocce ball and the outdoor areas were very lively, in a good way. There was plenty of seating and the weather was great, so I am thinking a lot of people were eating outside after ordering from Primo Piatto. Also, the lounge next to la petit cafe was very nice and actually got quite a bit of use. I think you will like it when you stay there!

I don't specifically remember the giant chess pieces. I did see people playing bocce ball and the outdoor areas were very lively, in a good way. There was plenty of seating and the weather was great, so I am thinking a lot of people were eating outside after ordering from Primo Piatto. Also, the lounge next to la petit cafe was very nice and actually got quite a bit of use. I think you will like it when you stay there!

Nice. If bocce is back, Id think the chess would be too. I feel like that outdoor area is underrated and one of the best parts of the resort. Its a big draw for me.

Nice. If bocce is back, Id think the chess would be too. I feel like that outdoor area is underrated and one of the best parts of the resort. Its a big draw for me.
When we were there last week they had a life size inflatable pool table game where they show movies under the stars.

We own at GF. I agree the GF villas are TIRED!! The mirror tv's in our stays since 2014 have never worked. We have stayed in studio, one bed and two bed configurations. We have found furniture in all to be less than desirable - stains, scratches, and in one instance a broken chair leg. However, we have found the flooring (excluding carpets) to be in good shape. We love the bathroom configurations and find the tile and countertops in good shape. Love the showers!! The appliances and kitchen has always been in good working order. We appreciate the one and two bed room laundry capabilities and the 4th floor community laundry when we stay in a studio. The latter being said: since we own at GFV we will stay here again and again hoping the will very soon start upgrades. With a price of $255.00 a point and the yearly dues, this should be soon considered in my opinion. We are delighted with the walkway to the MK.

One other quick observation regarding our trip. Something really needs to be done about Animal Kingdom in the age of Covid. There is very little to do there and the lines wrapping around everywhere is horrible. Vibe wise, one of my favorite parks, but the lines for just about everything was really horrendous. With park hopping back it is not as big of a deal, but I don't think it would be justifiable to spend upwards of 160.00 per person at that park right now. Riding Everest, we were back in Dino land, it was nuts.
We were there over Christmas. Honestly the lines aren't worse then the lines were with fastpasses in the non fast pass lines. They look insanely long but aren't too bad. When we were there the line was back to dinoland but was only a 55 minute wait.

We toured the RIV last week and I have a “smell allergy” to flower smells. It was so strong in the lobby I had to go outside to wait til the guide could show us the rooms. Wearing a mask didn’t help and my eyes started burning, it was crazy. I had the same issue with the orange blossom smell at the Vero resort, I had a headache for the rest of the night after checking in. I understand the purpose of the smells I just wish they weren’t as strong.

We toured the RIV last week and I have a “smell allergy” to flower smells. It was so strong in the lobby I had to go outside to wait til the guide could show us the rooms. Wearing a mask didn’t help and my eyes started burning, it was crazy. I had the same issue with the orange blossom smell at the Vero resort, I had a headache for the rest of the night after checking in. I understand the purpose of the smells I just wish they weren’t as strong.

I have a similar issue to powdery/florally undertones and BLT lobby level used to be very heavily scented to the point that walking down the north hall thru the lobby and then down the the elevators would cause a headache to start. Thankfully they had cut it back the last couple of times we stayed there and I hadn't encountered it in enough strength elsewhere onsite.

Oh not good. Those strong fragrances trigger my asthma......:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!