Just e-mailed the principal

"Extra work"? How exactly is putting a sheet of paper in a pile to be picked up when we return creating "extra work?"

Because when that child comes back and hands in that work the teacher has to correct it. She/he will have most likely have moved onto a new lesson, working on that and correcting papers for that one. Now she has to make sure Jr. has all his stuff from the previous week done, and needs to make sure Jr. understands the lesson he missed because he'll be behind the rest of the class if he doesn't. It wouldn't be "extra" had he been in class when they were working on it, but he wasn't so the teacher has to "work" on him on top of her current lesson.

Do you think teachers just put papers in piles?

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;46287030]Just want to add one more thing: I hope those of you who are pulling your kids out of school for a week at a time are aware of the extra work you are causing for their teachers. A little gift from Disney(and a sincere thank you) would not be out of line...especially those who are so understanding to your "family time."[/QUOTE]

My DD will only be missing 2 1/2 days of school (3rd grade - pulling her out early on Friday to make the drive) but I feel like every missed day is important overall. I originally posted & thought that I would just skip informing the school & call her in as sick for those 2 days (She wouldn't be required to supply a dr's note until day #3) & not worry about the missed half day since it is literally the last day of the quarter for them.

However, this plan was not sitting well with my little rule-follower so I went in yesterday & spoke to her teacher.

I let her know the dates she'll be absent & it turns out she was scheduled to do some end-of-qtr testing on that Friday. Teacher agreed that DD will have no problems missing the 2 days (straight-A student) and offered to have her do all of her tests on Thursday so that she is ready to go Friday no matter what time we decide to leave. (She may not even go in at all now!) If she has the next week's work ready she'll supply the worksheets, spelling, vocab, etc. And the best part is that DD is much more at ease about her missed assignments & class time. Things like this cause her anxiety because we teach her to follow rules & then we're essentially asking her to break them, and that's kind of a mixed message for an 8-yr old, IMO.

So our teacher IS jumping through a few hoops to make this as easy as possible on my DD & I appreciate that! I think a small token of our appreciation is a WONDERFUL idea! :goodvibes

(BTW - I'm not asking for the time to be excused.... I don't want DD 'working' on our family vacation. While I know she WILL learn a LOT no matter what, I'd rather it was informal & relaxed. She's earned this trip too, it's not just being gifted to her so I want her to enjoy it & focus on making memories not homework assignments.)

Because when that child comes back and hands in that work the teacher has to correct it. She/he will have most likely have moved onto a new lesson, working on that and correcting papers for that one. Now she has to make sure Jr. has all his stuff from the previous week done, and needs to make sure Jr. understands the lesson he missed because he'll be behind the rest of the class if he doesn't. It wouldn't be "extra" had he been in class when they were working on it, but he wasn't so the teacher has to "work" on him on top of her current lesson.

Do you think teachers just put papers in piles?

No, and I still don't think it makes extra work for the teachers. They are going to be correcting/grading homework regardless of when it was handed in.

I don't factor in how it will impact teachers when I make a decision about my family. It's part of their job and would be the same if a student was sick or out for any other reason.

My kids aren't being pulled this year anyway, so it's a moot point for me. :rotfl:

No, and I still don't think it makes extra work for the teachers. They are going to be correcting/grading homework regardless of when it was handed in.

I don't factor in how it will impact teachers when I make a decision about my family. It's part of their job and would be the same if a student was sick or out for any other reason.

My kids aren't being pulled this year anyway, so it's a moot point for me. :rotfl:

I don't either, and I didn't bring back a gift for any of their teachers when I pulled them out ;)
I know I made some extra work for them when I took my kids out, but hey it was free dining! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter