Just e-mailed the principal

In some states, excused or unexcused won't matter.

Districts are legally bound by state law to deny credit for courses after 9 days of absences in a semester.

When I asked my son's school, the principal was a first year principal, and he asked me what I wanted. :confused3 Okay... well I'd like excused days for vacation please and permission for his teacher to allow him to make up the work he misses (when we get back of course, wouldn't expect her to have it ready ahead of time). He said "Okay, fair enough." Really!? :cool1:

So glad I don't have to do this. In my DD's school, school vacations during school time are "strongly discouraged" as there are 185 other days of the year to take a vacation where it doesn't conflict. WDW is just as educational those other 185 days.

As long as the student keeps up the grades and does not disrupt the class upon their return all is well. The only time I have to provide a note is if my DD is out sick 3 days in a row, she must get a note from an MD for her return.

Having said all of that, I have pulled her for a week for WDW from K - 3. She is in Grade 4 now and I just can't pull her. They are not given work ahead of time, they have to make it up upon her return on top of the current work and have to stay after school to make up any tests. Since her homework is 1 1/2 hours a night now; I can't imagine 3 hours a night on top of competitve swim.

Have a great vacation.

It'd count as an unexcused absence. Looking at our handbook out now, it states (for my state): "It is illegal for a child to fail to be in school for any reason other than those set forth by the State Board of Education..."
3 unlawful absences: notification
6 unlawful: notification via nastygram that you might be in violation of law
10 unlawful: school can notify DA and file a complaint.

Without the prior approval my daughter would get 6 unlawful absences from this one trip. The letter might have gone overboard, but I wanted it clear that there was plenty of stuff to do that was educational.

That's interesting to know. We are in the same state (NC). I'm taking my kindergartener out for four days in Oct (we'll overlap :)). I haven't thought about excuses or getting a visit from the truancy officer. Assuming that it's not as big of a deal for such a young kid. I'll let you know if I get thrown in jail for it.

Here is my letter that I wrote!

Wow. That letter is quite creative! I don't quite agree with trying to get a vacation excused is this way, but it is very interesting. We got pretty lucky. When I informed the principal at my sons school that he would be missing a week in April for vacation, he told me that if he keeps a journal about all the things he's learned, they can excuse 3 days. I think it's a common practice at our school. It surprised me, because we had an issue last year about him missing too many days because of a bad illness and a death out of state.

OT- LOVE your daughters name by the way. ;)

Because I have family in NC, I am aware that public school law/policy in NC allows excused absences for "educational travel". The law does not provide specifics as to what makes the travel educational, but it does require advanced approval by the school principal.

Every child is different and every family situation is different, therefore each family needs to make its own decisions as to whether or not their child should miss school. But, when the state law/policy allows excused absences for travel, no one should judge a parent for requesting approval for an excused absence.

We are going next week, and our school district has an educational enrichment opportunity form to fill out and my DS8 has all 5 days excused. For those of you that thought the letter was overboard, you should have seen the report we had to submit to get approved! It ended up being 3 pages and we had to use the 3rd grade curriculum standards and state how we would meet them on our trip!

Question: You've put so much detail in the letter regarding what your daughter will see and do. Is the principal going to hold you to seeing evidence of all that? What if your plans change?

For example, your World Showcase plans. Despite plans to see the entire thing and do the same as you documented in World Showcase plus Pick a Pearl (had the Cinderella cage necklaces, a passport, a little journal and everything) we ended up not touring WS at all. We also missed Asia in AK.
Not that I know of. However, we'll be there during F&W so we're for sure going! :) Plus we have food reservations there at least two days!

revmommy said:
Because I have family in NC, I am aware that public school law/policy in NC allows excused absences for "educational travel". The law does not provide specifics as to what makes the travel educational, but it does require advanced approval by the school principal.

Every child is different and every family situation is different, therefore each family needs to make its own decisions as to whether or not their child should miss school. But, when the state law/policy allows excused absences for travel, no one should judge a parent for requesting approval for an excused absence.

I agree. No one should judge a parent for decisions to be made concerning their own child. It's not like she's asking each of you to do the same thing. I think the letter is awesome and very creative. What a caring mom to want to make sure that her daughter's education is still taken care of while she is on vacation!!!! And there is MUCH to be learned at WDW for all ages.

I applaud you for reaching out to your child's school to help her have excused absences and homework to keep up with her schoolwork while on vacation. I probably wouldn't have thought of it and think you're a fantastic mom for covering all bases. :)

Hm, I am taking my high school student out for the last three days before winter break and her school has no problem with it. In fact none of the dozen schools my kids have gone to (military family) have ever had a problem with us taking them out during school. As long as they make up the work. I suppose it maybe because as a military family summer is typically training time for mom's or dad's who are active duty and getting time off can be a struggle for many. So, the schools that service military communities are a bit more lenient. As for the OP, I find it rather interesting what she did. lol Don't know that I would put that much effort into making sure my kid had an excused absence, but interesting.

You should just deal with the consequences :thumbsup2
I will preface this by saying that I have taken my kids out of school for WDW, and I wouldn't even consider trying to get "credit" for them since the trip wasn't planned as an educational trip, it was planned as a family vacation. Sure the trip would be a learning experience, but one can say that about anything. Unless the trip is planned specifically for education then its just an excuse so that parents aren't held responsible for their choice for their child to miss required school days in order to take a vacation. We have to do what is right for our families, and sometimes that means we vacation when school is in session, but we should own up to it.

You think? :lmao:

The principal probably is allowing this as an excused absence just because he was impressed by your audacity! (This is not a criticism).

::yes::

We went back and forth about whether or not to pull our kids out of school for our first family WDW vacation last year and we decided against it. We've even considered it for the 2013 trip we are planning, but we are still sitting firmly on the fence about it. I have co-workers and friends that have pulled their kids out of school for WDW trips, and my kids have several classmates that have missed multiple days of school for WDW, so I know that it works out for many families; but for various reasons, we just don't feel comfortable with our kids missing more than 1-2 consecutive days of school unless they are sick or there is a family emergency. I am all for family bonding time, educational experiences outside of the classroom, etc; but even with our very busy life, we have found time and ways to do those things without pulling our kids out of school. Like many folks, I would prefer to go to WDW when the crowds are the lowest and the weather is pleasant; but I can say that based on our experience and what I've read here on the Disboards that with some research and a good plan, a fun and accomplished trip to Disney can be had even when it's crowded and the weather isn't great. I guess it's all in perspective and expectations. Everyone has to do what's best for their families. Have a magical trip OP :thumbsup2

We used a letter similar to the one that the OP posted. My son is 15 and in 10th grade. We were in a very tough spot. Our school district had a yearly Fall break. Well, because our wonderful state legislature making a changing to the start date of school, they did away with it.

So, here we were with our trip fully paid for and the fall break being cancelled. My TA sent me a letter to send to the school. I'm not sure if it was because of the cancelled fall break or the letter, but they excused the entire 7 days. He will have to make up the work, but he only has 4 classes this semester so it won't be too hard to make up. We plan on giving him plenty of time each day to work on it.

I think it's fine to take a child out of school for vacation to Disney or anywhere but it shouldn't be excused as educational. Heck, I could take my child to the track & make it an educational experience if I wanted. That doesn't mean she should be excused from school for it. People should try to make Disney any more than it is, a wonderful vacation destination.

I think you guys are getting excused and unexcused absences confused? An excused absence is when a parent calls into the school and let's them know their child won't be in attendance that day. An unexcused absence is when there is no call made to the school and they don't have a reason for the child not being there. Too many unexcused and yes they can get you for truancy as such, but as long as they have a reason for not attending you won't fall into that category. I can see schools getting on parents for taking their kids out for vacation, but its only because the school gets money for your child being there. The more absences the less money the school will get. That really is the only reason they do that. They can't call truancy on you for a family vacation!

I think you guys are getting excused and unexcused absences confused? An excused absence is when a parent calls into the school and let's them know their child won't be in attendance that day. An unexcused absence is when there is no call made to the school and they don't have a reason for the child not being there. Too many unexcused and yes they can get you for truancy as such, but as long as they have a reason for not attending you won't fall into that category. I can see schools getting on parents for taking their kids out for vacation, but its only because the school gets money for your child being there. The more absences the less money the school will get. That really is the only reason they do that. They can't call truancy on you for a family vacation!

Actually, my daughter's school is very specific about what is considered excused: (quoted from our parent handbook)

The following circumstances qualify as “excused” absences:
•Illness: more than two days must be confirmed by a signed doctor’s note
•Up to three (3) days per school year for observance of religious holidays
•Up to five (5) days due to death of a family member
•Dismissal due to school-sponsored activities approved by the principal
•Absences because of judicial obligations

The law states that “the Superintendent, or teachers, in so far as authorized by him or the school committee, may excuse cases of necessary absence for other causes not exceeding seven sessions or fourteen half-day sessions in any period of six months.”

I asked our vice principal if we would get "the letter" - we're not worried. If we do get the letter from the state, we (and the school) still know she's doing okay. But generally she is only sick one day at a time, and even at that it's rare (knock on wood).

They certainly can call truancy on us if we went for too long. I respect that rule, because it becomes a question of where do you draw the line.

I would be to embarressed to ever send in a letter like that about wdw..lol come on these teachers know what wdw is, just tell them your going on a family vacation and be done with it.I just let the teacher know a few months ahead of time and make sure they dont miss school alot and they excuse whatever days we need.we dont abuse it though.We also do not try to pull the " she is going to learn" on them....they are not stupid.

That isn't true in our district. I believe in order for an illness to be an excused absence I have to send in a doctor's note. Just a phone call from me will result in the absence being unexcused. I haven't ever bothered to find out what is required though since my daughter doesn't miss many day. If she was seriously ill and out more than a few days I'd find out but for under 10 absences a year it isn't worth it IMO.

Um no, that isn't an excused absence. That is nothing more than a parent calling the school and informing them their kid won't be there. The "excused" or "unexcused" part comes from why they won't be there. Some reasons are acceptable, i.e. excused (illness, death in family, doc appts) some are not, i.e. unexcused (vacations, shopping with mom day, just not wanting to go). Our kids are allowed 10 unexcused absenses a year before there are truancy issues. So, if I want to take my kid to Chuck E Cheese for the day, I can call them and tell them that, but its not going to be an excused absence.

That may be true of your local school district, but it is not true of ours, or any I went to as a kid. Just because the school is informed about an absence, that doesn't even come close to meaning it's excused. I had to go to a truancy hearing last year because my son went over the 10 unexcused absences when we had a death in the family out of state and then my son got very sick later in the year and missed a bunch of days. Our district only allows 10 excused absences, then all beyond that are unexcused. After 10 unexcused you get to have a hearing. A vacation could very well get you a truancy letter.

Oh, and the reason schools do that is because they are legally required to provide a certain number of hours of education, that number usually divides out to around 180 school days. I don't know if they lose some funding from the government for not meeting that number with their students or not, I would think they probably do.

We can look online and I've seen that the absences for my son are all excused. Even his "sick" days. Even if you are going to Disney I think as long as you are upfront with them you won't have a problem. I've never taken my son out of school for a vacation before and only did so now because of them cancelling the fall break.

Any school that my son went to all we had to do was call, or send a note and the absence was excused. I know that there is such a thing as excessive, but family time is important and they are only young for a short time.....

I guess it's just to each his own....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter