• More than 5 times a week

• About 4 times a week

• About 3 times a week

• One or 2 times a week

• Once every 2 weeks

• About 1 time a month

• Less than once a month

Results are only viewable after voting.
I put 1-2 times a week, ususally fast food (just for the kids) or pizza. Dh is a chef so we prefer eating at home and if we go out we are usually disappointed in the quality of the food. We do have a couple of favorite restaurants (vietnameese, indian) and will go out to eat at them either as a family or a couple maybe once a month. I always try to take my lunch to work as my only other option is fast food which I try very hard to avoid. the best thing I have found is the pre washed salad in the large plastic containers, one container lasts me at least 5 days; I add my own toppings and dressing and have my lunch for the week!!

ETA: Dh does bring home samples from work usually once a week so that helps with not eating out as well.

I bring my lunch to work so that isnt a issue. dh has to bring $10 a shift though since they cook their dinner at the station so I really just plan that into the weekly budget. as far as eating out I would say 1-2x a week. this week we did go "out" twice since one was my bday and the other we were celebrating my sister's announcement of a healthy baby boy coming. Plus mcdonalds yesterday for the kids to collect another car- so that makes 3 total. Normally its one Mcdonalds and one night out and it usually Pizza or our favorite family spot and they arent too expensive like our dinner last night. I try to eat at home as much as we can save money..

I maybe eat out 2 - 3 times a month, that includes when I do volunteering and stop off at Disney (or just going to Disney itself).

I was in DC for 5 days until this past Monday, and my family there eats out all the time (I mean ALL the time - my stepmother won't cook). I took my Kashi cereal for mornings, bought fruit and such for eating during the day. But they were taking us all out to eat each day once or twice...and quite frankly, I feel sick. :) My stomach has been awful since I got back. The scale had shown like a 7 pound weight gain (probably salt and water and such), it's getting back to normal now.

Anyway, eating at home is healthier, cheaper and doesn't make me feel yucky. :) Once in a while is fine, my stomach can't handle it too often anymore.

You know this post is really something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have been trying to loss some weight and I think that this (and of course that evening snacking) are big reasons why my weight has gone up the last year.

I probably eat out 3 - 4 times per week (at least) since I have clients that I take out to restaurants. I was trying to think of an incentive for myself to go to the restaurant and only have a coffee and use the money for something else??? I haven't come up with any great ideas yet but I am still thinking.

nbodyhome said:
I maybe eat out 2 - 3 times a month, that includes when I do volunteering and stop off at Disney (or just going to Disney itself).

I was in DC for 5 days until this past Monday, and my family there eats out all the time (I mean ALL the time - my stepmother won't cook). I took my Kashi cereal for mornings, bought fruit and such for eating during the day. But they were taking us all out to eat each day once or twice...and quite frankly, I feel sick. :) My stomach has been awful since I got back. The scale had shown like a 7 pound weight gain (probably salt and water and such), it's getting back to normal now.

Anyway, eating at home is healthier, cheaper and doesn't make me feel yucky. :) Once in a while is fine, my stomach can't handle it too often anymore.

We eat out 3 to 4 times a month, and our motivation for preparing our own meals is similar to yours....more for health reasons than for financial reasons. Don't get me wrong, eating out can be expensive, but often we could probably eat out cheaper than what it costs us to feed ourselves at home. Most (not all, but most) of the people I know who eat out often have weight issues.

There's no doubt that we as a nation eat out much more today than we did years ago. 49 cents of every dollar spent on food is spent outside the home in this country. That number has steadily been on the rise. Of course, the number that correlates directly to that number is the percentage of overweight Americans. An astounding 67% of Americans are overweight, with half of that number being obese. 25 years ago, in 1980 the number of overweight Americans was 46%. If that's not motivation enough to prepare healthy meals at home, I don't know what is....

I put more then 5 times a week, but only because my husband eats out almost every day at his job. We usually eat out about 1-2 a week and that includes lunch and dinner.. :stir:

I checked two times - but realized I need to add lunch with my SIL and take out - so that is more like 3 to 4 times a week. We don't like fast food/junk food, so we do sit down alot...BUT we use local and internet coupons, and two for ones like Entertainment book and our local version of ent book. as much as possible. :sunny:

I didn't count when DH eats out/takes out at lunch, because his office usually picks up the tab for those.

dvcgirl said:
We eat out 3 to 4 times a month, and our motivation for preparing our own meals is similar to yours....more for health reasons than for financial reasons. Don't get me wrong, eating out can be expensive, but often we could probably eat out cheaper than what it costs us to feed ourselves at home. Most (not all, but most) of the people I know who eat out often have weight issues.

You can certainly eat out pretty cheap as I used to, I would just get kids meals at Chik-fi-La and such. That wasn't as bad as some things, but it still is cheaper for me usually to eat at home. Hubby used to eat out all the time - often a stop at McD's for sausage biscuits and hash browns, followed by lunch at Sonnys or Sams Club (or somewhere similar), and often would order pizza for dinner. So often he must have been up to close to $20 a day (once you factor in also that you pay tax on prepared food).

I made crockpot bbq chicken yesterday, and I figure we'll get 8 sandwhiches out of it. I bought good rolls (healthier ones) and each sandwich will be maybe .75. Not more than that, anyway. Hubby had chips for .15 or so, and tea for a negligible price. My veggies cost more, of course. I love steamed carrots and broccoli!

My crockpot beef vegetable soup (with low salt boullion, which does cost more) comes in for less than $1.00 for a large serving with plenty of veggies.

We stopped for some chicken curry last month, and I was shocked at the price. The chicken curry with tax (I ordered takeout) was like $15.00 with just the rice! I resumed my search then for a good curry recipe, which I finally found. Now it's no more than $1.00 per serving (I try to get chicken for $1.99 to $2.29 a pound).

My smoothies at home aren't terribly cheap, between $1.50 and $2.00, but there is plenty of fruit and yogurt, and that is half the price of comparable smoothie eating out (if you were going to get that much fruit). Actually, maybe better than half price.

AND, I'm healthier and need the doctor less than I used to by eating better and exercising.

anewvance said:
Do you mean actually going to a resturant or having take out? Because if you include take out, we eat out TOO MUCH.... probably 4 times a week. I hate to cook! But actually going out to eat, maybe once every 2 weeks or so.

I mean any meal eaten that is not prepared at home. Perhaps rather than "times per week" I should have put "days per week". Either way, I'm a little surprised (a little, not much) 1-2 times is the number one answer. I was thinking it would be more often. Thanks for your replies!

I didn't vote...we eat out way too much...on average, I eat lunch out daily....and dinner...who knows....I looked at what we've spent lately and I am determined to cut down....last week I made it through the whole week working out on my lunch and bringing in a frozen dinner!! :)

I voted 2 times a week, that is Pizza, McDs and Chik-Fil-A kind of meals, for a total of about $30 a week for family of 5.

Once a blue moon (every 6 months or so) we go to Red Lobster or similiar for a meal.

Here's an interesting tidbit that was in an article in my local paper today:
(I'm paraphrasing)
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans in 2002-2003 spent an average of 41.9% of their food dollars eating out.

Wow!!

staceyfe said:
Here's an interesting tidbit that was in an article in my local paper today:
(I'm paraphrasing)
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans in 2002-2003 spent an average of 41.9% of their food dollars eating out.

Wow!!

It's higher than that now....49 percent of every dollar is spent eating out. No wonder we have an obesity problem in this country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter