Just booked FW Cabins...please tell me we'll love it!

M&C'sMom

Mouseketeer
I got a pin code and booked the cabins for March. I know it's spring break and will be crowded. DH is not the Disney geek that I am and he really wanted the cabins. He loves the outdoors and thought it looked peaceful in the pictures. So I booked it. We have kids 15 and 12 and I think they'll like it, too. I'm worried about cabin location and buses. What is the best loop? How are the buses??

Any recommendations??

TIA!:)

We stayed there in July and enjoyed it. I didn't ask for a specific cabin and ours was as far away from the bus stop as possible! Tiring to walk it late at night after the parks.

We would stay there again if we didn't fly to florida. The nice thing about FW is you can bike, fish, play basketball, etc. We didn't have those things and would have to rent them...$$$...we saw lots of families that drove and they brought their own equipment which would be nice. It seemed like a lot of local Florida families go there.

We liked the cabins but were a little cramped w/6 people and one bathroom!

Ooooh, good to know! We're planning on driving this time so I'll remember to bring along some of those things. I'm worried about having to do alot of walking after the parks, too. We've never driven ourselves to the parks before, always depended on Disney, but we may rethink that this time!

thanks for the input!

We LOVE the cabins. It is such a peaceful, beautiful place. The cabin was a perfect fit when our kids were small. The only reason we don't stay there now is because with three teenagers we need a second bathroom so we do two rooms at a mod. The best thing about them is that you do not have someone right next to you so the kids can be kids. Have a great time.

Imho the cabins are the best of all the places to stay at DW. If you have a car you absolutely want to drive to the parks and the other hotels. In fact, once you start to drive you will never understand why anybody would want to take transportation... To actually get from EPCOT to the room in less then 20min... The only resort that you will have issues driving to is the Contemporary. They are really difficult but considering they are right next to the MK you can understand. Plus since you have a car you can also make runs into Kiss..., take a drive around Celebration and make a run to the local walmart. I do not have a comment about a specific loop as they are all basically the same when you have a car. If the hubby is an outdoor person he should book a fishing trip on Bay Lake for a couple hours, its not cheap but i understand it is a nice day. Have a great time.

A good friend at work stays there every time he goes to Disney and he and his family LOVE the cabins. I've never heard anyone who's stayed there not love them.

Thanks so much for replies! At first I was apprehensive at the thought of using our own car to drive to parks, etc. Now I'm thinking we'll like that part a lot! Good to know about the fishing...DH already asked if it was available! He loves to fish! I do like the idea of more space, too.

Now to get a countdown going.....:yay:

HI. Loop 2500 is next to the cabin pool and laundry building, plus there's a bus stop right there. Have you seen the map of the campgrounds? Here is a link:

http://willcad.org/maps/wdw/resorts/resort_fw.jpg

If you have a car, absolutely drive to all the parks, except MK. Take the internal bus to the Settlement, then walk to the marina and take the boat. Great ride, beautiful scenery.

You can't drive "around" the campgrounds - for that you'll need a golf cart which I highly recommend. You can get along without it, but once you try it you'll never go back!

Hi
We stayed at the FW cabins this month and yes they are beautiful and well worth the money. The only downfall is that it is so huge, in order to get around you need to take the color coded internal bus system, which can be confusing at first. it was frustrating to wait for a bus to just go to the pool or store ( unless you dont mind walking a couple of miles roundtrip) and what was worse was waiting for a bus to take you to another bustop for the theme parks. FW does offer golf cart rentals, but at 60 dollars a day that is a complete rip off, but ppl are craziness enough to rent them. You are better off having your own car to use to get to the parks or if you dont have an agenda FW is a great place to relax, also they have so many things to do horse back riding boat rental etc, but of course that comes at a steep price. Overall, lovely accomodations, but I dont know if I would stay there again due to the transportation issues.

If you are driving, bringing bikes is the way to go. You can take bikes so many places at FW, some places even the golf carts can't go. Plus, the golf carts, even from off property rentals, can get very expensive. If you are patient - a golf cart is not a necessity - fun, yes - convenient, yes - but not necessary.

I have stayed at FW and never rented a golf cart. I do bring a bike. I do not find the internal transportation to be bad at all - you can stay in the cabins without a car and get by using Disney transportation. But as a previous poster said, it is convenient to drive to all the parks except MK. The best part is not having to circle the parking lot at the end of the day searching for a parking space.

The cabins themselves are very nice. Four people should be accommodated very well. The bedroom has a full size bed and bunk beds, and the living room has a double Murphy bed. It's nice to have two separate sleeping areas. It's nice to have the full kitchen even if you don't intend to cook full meals. Having the full size fridge is great for keeping plenty of beverages cold, and the microwave is great for easy breakfasts and snacks. There is a dvd player in the living room, so you can bring one or two of your favorites along if you like. There is only one bathroom, but it is a little larger than your average hotel bathroom, and it's refreshing to have a bathroom window! The bedroom is a little on the small side, but it does have a TV and vanity area. It can help with the bathroom schedule by giving another place for someone to finish getting ready to go out and about.

I like the 2100 loop, near the 1100 loop comfort station. There's a path there so you can easily walk to the Meadows area, and both pools are only a short walk from there :)

FW cabins are wonderful! They are such a neat experience at WDW. I think its great you will have your own car there as it will be much easier to get to the parks from FW if you have your own transportation, well except MK. Take the boat ride to MK!!

We rented a golf cart while we were there too as FW comprises a very large area. The kids thought of it as another ride!! Lots to do in FW as others have mentioned and its easier to get anywhere there with a golf cart as your car can only be used to drive into and out of your cabin driveway.

The cabins themselves were cute and VERY peaceful. Staying there we couldn't believe we were so close to MK, b/c it seemed like such a world away.

Enjoy!!

We are staying at the Cabins next November and plan on renting a cart from Tee Time since we will be flying in. We know that with two little kids we are going to not want to be walking back to the cabin at night. We have not stayed there before, but have done a ton of research about it. We wanted to be sure it would be worth it. We have two boys who are used to sleeping in bunk beds, so we felt this would be best for them. Plus I have a large service dog who will be traveling with us so we felt that a cabin would give enough space for him to stretch out and all that. In a normal room he would be pretty cramped at night.

I hope you all have a blast. I would think about renting a cart or asking for a cabin close to the buses. Otherwise you might end up walking a LOT! That place is huge from the bits I have seen over the years and what others have told me and what I have seen on the maps.

I hope that helps. I am looking forward to not having neighbors sharing walls with us so we don't have to worry too much about our kids being loud or dealing with other people's loud kids either. LOL! So I think it should be a good time! Good luck.

I'm really getting excited now! I'm feeling better about the whole "using our own car" part. We have stayed at WL twice and love the boat ride to MK so we'll definitely plan on that.

The golf carts sound fun and useful. Someone mentioned an offsite rental....how does that work? any suggestions there? or is it just easier to rent at FW?

I appreciate all of your help!

I really getting excited now! I'm feeling better about the whole "using our own car" part. We have at WL twice and love the boat ride to MK so we'll definitely plan on that.

The golf carts sound fun and useful. Someone mentioned an offsite rental....how does that work? any suggestions there? or is it just easier to rent at FW?

I appreciate all of your help!

You really should check out the camping board here on the DIS. There's a whole thread just about golf cart rentals, and the people there are full of FW info. It's convenient to rent a cart from Disney, but it's a lot more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter