Just booked AKL

mpetti

DIS Veteran
I just booked at AKL for Aug 1-8. We me, DH, DS (13) and DS (8 turning 9 during trip) have never stayed at AKL. I got a 40% off code so it only cost a little more then staying at a value which was my original plan. The only thing missing is the FD :sad1:. We have never stayed at AKL we are booked in a Standard View at Jambo House. It would be nice to have a nicer view, but not really important, just happy to be going to WDW!!! :cool1: Can you please tell me about AKL. I have read somethings online and was wondering how far it was to the bus stop? Is there only 1 bus stop? How is the food at the resort? Without the FD we don't plan on many TS meals this trip. What I have seen online the resort looks beautiful and I am so excited to be going back to WDW!!! :cool1: Also how are the crowds during the beginning of August and the weather? We normally go late August and the crowds weren't bad at all. If you know of any trip reports for a stay at AKL, please let me know I would love to read them. Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Maryann :happytv:

Have a fabulous time!

We booked AKL too and will be staying in June. We've never been so I can't comment on that but I've heard fabulous things!

...Without the FD we don't plan on many TS meals this trip. What I have seen online the resort looks beautiful and I am so excited to be going back to WDW!!! :cool1: ...
AKL is like a vacation inside a vacation with its theme and location. I will say based upon you providing me the impression you normally stay at a value resort that deluxe resorts are geared toward TS dining. There are no food courts. What use to be called a snack bar are now called counter service to align to dining plans and normally there is only one CS at a deluxe resort with multiple TS choices.

AKL is fantastic! It's my favorite resort, but I am a tad biased insofar as it's my DVC home resort. There are three options for dining at Jambo: Jiko, Boma, and the Mara. Jiko in my opinion is the best restaurant on Disney property. Boma is great and completely reasonably priced as TS restaurants go. The Mara is not my preferred CS, but I am more of a Disney TS person. I go to Disney for the food.

Have a great time!

We stay end of Aug too, so can't say about early Aug.

We loved our stay at AKL. And the food is good too. Mara has a fair selection of food, and you can get Zebra Domes there- yum. We also love Boma.
Lots of activities at the resort- the savanna viewing with night scopes, story telling at the Fire Pit, Evening Cultural exchange in the room off Lobby past the Concierge desk, Culinary tour, to name some.
Great pool.

The bus stop isn't far. It is one stop, kinda- each park has it's own place where the bus stops, they are marked, and all in the same area.

http://allears.net/acc/aklmap.jpg I would make a room request to be on Ostrich Trail for a standard view. Standard views are on Qstrich and Giraffe Trails.
Giraffe Trail is right over the bus stops or very near. So I think Ostrich would be quieter.

So glad to read this thread. We are SSR owners and have a trip coming up just me and DH and will be staying at AKL in September and are looking forward to it. We have never stayed there and are anxious to check it out!

AKL...great choice. It's the only place we stay..at least for our last 4 trips and our upcoming one next month. The pool is the BEST. Zero entry for the kiddies and little slide. I have a 8 and 5 so they aren't thrill seekers yet. Unlike some others on this board, I'm a fan of the CS Mara. Never a crowd in there and movies are always playing. Kids eating and watching tv..just like at home. The game room is right there too. I'm not a huge Jiko fan but Boma is always a must for both dinner and breakfast. Never utilized the stories by the campfire but will this year cuz my kids are at a better age. Having them wake up to the a Savannah View room is going to be pretty cool. Have fun...

I'm so happy for you! I LOVE the AKL:lovestruc.

I was there in late Aug 2010 in a pool view room.

We made of point of viewing a savannah everytime we either left or returned to the resort, at least 10 minutes each time ( some longer). We saw some incredible views of all the animals ( some were probably by pure luck). I figured if I was spending the $$ to stay there I was going to incorporate savannah time into my day. It was worth it:thumbsup2

ENJOY:woohoo:

AKL is a beautiful resort, you will have a fabulous time :). There is no food court like the values and mods have, but Mara is a great CS place with plenty to choose from, IMO :goodvibes. AKL is kind of away from everything, but we thought the bus service was great......the buses only service AKL and Kidani so no sharing with any other resort ;). Happy planning and have a great trip :wizard:.

This coming trip with by my 4th time at AKL. Love it! As stated above, it's like a vacation within a vacation. Very relaxing but at the same time it has lots of extra things to do. We're planning lots of time at the resort this trip to enjoy the hotel more. Pool is very cool and I've seen girafes from the pool on several occasions. Two hot tubs; one being kind of hidden where not too many people know or find it. The pool bar is awsome.

To me, buses are great and I've stayed at both MK resorts and Epcot resorts several times where there are multiple stops at other resorts.

I think the rooms are very cozy. The first time we stayed we booked standard room and were upgraded to savannah. The other times we booked savannah and two of those we had less than fair savannah views. This time we booked pool view and will turn down savannah view upgrade if it's far from lobby, etc. I hate those long walks to the room after a day at the parks.

We've not had any problems finding something to eat at Mara. Boma and Jike are awsome!

Have an awsome time!

We ate dinner at Boma and while it was pricey we also had a meal that we will always remember and we still talk about being there. The food was good but not outstanding, and all the dishes seemed to be a bit sweet, but still we enjoyed and would go back. The hotel is beautiful and we walked around inside and did some sightseeing. There was a cozy firepit area and we pulled up some chairs and snuggled up by the fire. The lobby was really nice and felt cozy and comfortable and more intimate than I expected. They had lots of couches and comfortable curl up on and stay a while type couches and chairs and we did. We didn't get to stay overnight there, but plan on it our next trip to WDW. DH loved the place and it's his request to stay there. It is very close to Animal Kingdom and the bus trip was a few short minutes as it is just down the street.

The bus stop isn't far. It is one stop, kinda- each park has it's own place where the bus stops, they are marked, and all in the same area.

http://allears.net/acc/aklmap.jpg I would make a room request to be on Ostrich Trail for a standard view. Standard views are on Qstrich and Giraffe Trails.
Giraffe Trail is right over the bus stops or very near. So I think Ostrich would be quieter.

I have stayed @ Jambo 2 times. I've not been in a standard room, but the advantages for Giraffe trail would be that it is adjacent to the pool/Mara, so less walking than Ostrich trail and there is a door halfway between the bus stop and the entrance to the resort directly into Giraffe trail, so again less walking. So, if you are on Giraffe trail, there are some advantages as well.
Wherever your room is, it's a wonderful resort. I particularly like the gift shop with the interesting items there (carved ostrich eggs, anyone?) I also enjoy sitting in the outside rockers by the fire pit at night, the hot tubs and just sitting at a table by the pool near the savannah. As someone else mentioned, I like to pause and just watch the animals from the windows, wander down Zebra and Kudu trails. Kidani (the DVC only resort) is a 10-15 minute stroll away and you can use the pool there if you want a change and spend some time checking out their savannah views, too. On the third floor (or 4th? You'll see it if you look up) of the lobby is a sky bridge across the lobby and I make it a point to wander across it, just to see the lobby from above. There is the free culinary tour as well, so you can get a feel for the restaurants even if you don't eat at them.

Beautiful resort...cool places to watch the animals...huge collection of authentic African art work...good quick service food at the Mara (try the zebra domes)....interestesting table service choices at Boma or Jiko or Sana...Boma has lots of African dishes as well as American ones too...two great pools...slightly longer bus ride to parks but VERY worth it...big open lobby with bar and opens up to the fire pit outside...activites of kids and adults at the resort...try the free culinary tour and sample a few of the things from Boma and Jiko for free...we love AKL!!!!! :love:

Your children are great ages to enjoy AKL. There are so many activites for them; face painting, night vision viewing, storytelling by the firepit, crafts, and so much more. Also, if your kids are into pin trading there is King Pin who shows up in the gift store on select days of the week. Our son loved visiting him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter