Just boarded the Disney Magic, first sailing in the Mediterranean since Covid

If anyone is on board or boarding. Can you get a photo of the Dooney & Bourke bags please! 😂. Thank you.

Just got off the June 10th cruise-a few things we wanted to share:
1. Boarding was a mess- long wait times and waiting for the test results was frustrating because WiFi was non existent inside the building. I ended up going outside and getting results with cellular data
2. Passenger count was about 1700. Crew still had to wear KN95s.
3. Ice cream was still served by a crew member
4. There was a pirate night
5. Some of the Greek port adventures were not up to usual DCL standards. Many families ended up complaining about the various tours in Greece. This did not appear to be a problem for the Italian ports.
6. Port adventure desk staffing was very limited. Chat feature through the app was available but ultimately, we had to wait to talk to staff in person.
7. Waters for purchase on the cruise were canned.
8. Debarkation process was super easy. We used a private car service and made it to the airport in 45 minutes and through baggage drop off, security and VAT refund desk within an hour.

Some more questions for Magicians…
  • What new movies are they showing?
  • What lounge acts are onboard? Comedian, ventriloquist, percussionist etc?
  • Did any Greek Isles or Mediterranean merch ever show up?

Hopefully the process gets better for when you sail and maybe the mess we experienced was because it was the first cruise out of Rome. After getting through the long line to be tested, you are sent across a road to another building to get your results which are sent via email. There was /wasn’t Wi-Fi available to get your results. I say wasn’t available as I could not get on line using it. I and many others had to rely on our own phone plans to get internet access and you had to stand outside to get a signal. There are dirty looking plastic chairs to use while waiting for your test results. Some poor man’s chair broke and I hope he wasn’t hurt. I’m a seasoned DCL cruiser with this cruise being #40. There truly is no place like Port Canaveral.
I was on the same cruise. Boarding was indeed a mess. Bathrooms in waiting area were outhouses too. And none of the employees in the area could answer basic questions. But, just FYI, there was a table you could go up to and ask if your results were ready if you didn't have data access. Didn't find that out until after I paid an additional $10 to Verizon.

Last edited:

They didn't show Buzz, which we had been expecting. Didn't really notice the full line up. I did notice Dr. Strange and Turning Red. They showed Rescue Rangers in the Walt Disney theater one night.

They had a juggler and ventriloquist. The ventriloquist was more aimed at a young audience. We left after about 15 minutes. The juggle was actually funny, but watching juggling just isn't that exciting. Frankly, I wish they would up the entertainment on the non-Disney nights. But the Disney nights were fantastic performances.

I never saw Med or Greek isle specific merch.

On a side note, the adult clubs were pretty great at night. We even saw Chandra Wilson's (Grey's Anatomy) daughter get proposed to, but there is some speculation as to whether it was an act to get picked for Match Your Mate. If it was, she is a great actress like her mom. I bought it. Chandra and her family were there in the club and on one of our excursions.

EDIT to add, the cruise was fantastic. Will post more in the next few days.

Last edited:

- Only new movie was Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- John Kinnon was the Ventriloquist/comedy act one night in the Walt Disney Theater
- Lounge acts were John Kinnon for an adult show and some live music
-No med specific merchandise other than some Ciao Bella shirts- really nothing. Not even tumblers

They didn't show Buzz, which we had been expecting. Didn't really notice the full line up. I did notice Dr. Strange and Turning Red. They showed Rescue Rangers in the Walt Disney theater one night.

They had a juggler and ventriloquist. The ventriloquist was more aimed at a young audience. We left after about 15 minutes. The juggle was actually funny, but watching juggling just isn't that exciting. Frankly, I wish they would up the entertainment on the non-Disney nights. But the Disney nights were fantastic performances.

On a side note, the adult clubs were pretty great at night. We even saw Chandra Wilson's (Grey's Anatomy) daughter get proposed to, but there is some speculation as to whether it was an act to get picked for Match Your Mate. If it was, she is a great actress like her mom. I bought it. Chandra and her family were there in the club and on one of our excursions.

I agree that the cruise was fantastic once we got past the boarding mess.
We had waited three years for this cruise and was so glad we kept it. We are contemplating whether or not to do a different Med itinerary for next summer but not sure if the feel will be different on the Dream.

Can't wait for your additional posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter