Just back

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
Well we braved the veteran's day weekend and I have to say with proper planning it was no big deal. Sure it was super crowded but to be honest it didn't bother us a bit and eventhough it was sold out I didn't see fastpasses being used up for the rides till very late at night.

A couple of points of interest to some. We had lunch at Cafe Orleans and you pretty much HAVE to have a PS before you go. I didn't realize you needed this but I was able to make one on Friday for lunch on Sunday and it was great!! I LOVE the monte cristo and it was perfect. I have pictures of it, the kids monte cristo and the seafood crepe as well as the two desert options (beignets and chocolate crepe) if anyone is interested.

We got chocolate coins with our check and for right now for every 30 bucks you spend you get a nightmare before christmas coin. We got 3!!

Also they DO have photopass in both parks and although we had a few glitches we got some pics and they were there yesterday and I have already ordered mine.

I was familiar with it from DW but it IS up and working so if anyone has any questions about that feel free to ask and I will post my pics when I get them if anyone is interested.

Can't wait for our next trip next month. We are taking my daughter for her 7th birthday and doing happiest birthdays and the holiday tour!! :)

My son and daughter-in-law were there on Saturday and said the same thing. Even though they were filming the Christmas special and so on, they said they got to do everything they wanted to do. They said the worst they have ever seen it was on New Year's Eve Day. I've been there on that day too. Now that is what I call, "wall to wall people." :crowded: But with planning and fastpasses, we had a great time. :goodvibes I guess it is all in what you think, and if you are willing to go with the flow. :rotfl: What say you?? :tinker:

I was there with my 2 sisters and some of my sister's friends on Friday. It was crazy packed but thanks to all of our fastpasses, we were able to ride everything we wanted to.

The highlight of the trip was while my sister was waiting for her friends outside DL, my younger sis and I were waiting for them on Main St. All of a sudden the Mad Hatter & Alice popped out of nowhere, linked arms with me (which scared the ba-geezus out of me) and told me to walk with them and skip and hop with them around Main St. It was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing! The Mad Hatter made me walk in zig-zags and they said strange things like: "Look! That's T's evil brother!" and pointed at some random little boy sitting on a bench eating a churro. Then they both sat between these two unsuspecting girls on a bench and kept shouting: "Move down! Move down! Move down!" Then they linked arms with me again & once again I was the monkey in the middle and they had me skip with them some more. It was really awesome and I've never had that happen before :teeth:

Sounds like you had a great time. Can you fill me in more on photopass? Are you able to purchase a CD there at Disneyland with all the pics on it? Can you get pics from the rides put on the photopass? Is it at both parks now or just Disneyland? Also, can you tell me, how big are the pics that you are able to look at online? We are going in December and I plan on taking full advantage of this feature.
Also, we will be eating at Cafe Orleans as well, how was the kids monte cristo? My son may be interested in it as well.

Kathy

eatmypixiedust said:
The highlight of the trip was while my sister was waiting for her friends outside DL, my younger sis and I were waiting for them on Main St. All of a sudden the Mad Hatter & Alice popped out of nowhere, linked arms with me (which scared the ba-geezus out of me) and told me to walk with them and skip and hop with them around Main St. It was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing! The Mad Hatter made me walk in zig-zags and they said strange things like: "Look! That's T's evil brother!" and pointed at some random little boy sitting on a bench eating a churro. Then they both sat between these two unsuspecting girls on a bench and kept shouting: "Move down! Move down! Move down!" Then they linked arms with me again & once again I was the monkey in the middle and they had me skip with them some more. It was really awesome and I've never had that happen before :teeth:

That sounds so awesome! Congratulations on your magical visit to DL! :goodvibes

Tinkermell yes I quite agree. I am no longer worried about going on crowded days cuz we feel we have the routine down with getting up and going early during opening and staying at a hotel right next to the park so we can take a mid day break etc.

Pixie dust I have seen characters do stuff like that before. I saw them running around with the rabbit etc. Sounds like it was fun!!

And MisCampbells: Well basically they have photopass at both parks but be patient as they are still learning. We got some pics taken at CA but the girl forgot to scan the card so they didn't turn out.

Whenever you get your first pass just carry it with you and every time you get a picture just give them the pass to have them scan it.

I don't know about the CD but when I got home I just entered the website and your pics come up. The ones online are about 4x6 and I order 5x7's but there are several sizes you can order.

We never wanted to bother with pics but now that I know we can see them later I go ahead (if we are not in a hurry) and take as many as possible cuz I know I can look when I get home and choose the ones I want.

As far as cafe orleans the kids monte cristo is pb&j. It came with fruit. The girls liked it. I LOVED the food and I highly recommend this place. It is about time Disnelyand got a decent place to eat! :)

Kelly,
Glad you and your family had a great time in spite of the crowds. My DD was there, too with a friend that got a one day YOAMD pass in the mail and was using right before expiration (of course DD has an annual pass :thumbsup2 ). We love Cafe Orleans, too and it is my new fav place to eat inside the park. Our travel schedule looks an awful lot like yours, too! I have confirmed (and paid for) ressies for Feb 07, last weekend in Apr 07 and will book (later this year) late Sept 07 and early Dec 07. I can never get enough Disney! My poor family just tags along :p

Thanks for sharing. I think it will probably be very crowded when I go the last week of March into first week of April. Do you think 8 days is enough??? We have never been to DL before (WDW many,many,many times) My 3 kids are young (under 6 ) so we will be taking it a little easier than most .

I also went that weekend and it was extremely crowded but it didn't stop us from doing everything we wanted to do a few times over. Thank goodness for Fast Passes!!!! Just make sure to go early in the morning.

Twingle are you spending the entire 8 days at the parks? If so that is MORE than enough. Unlike DW you really only need 2 days max I would think at both parks. With us if you are early risers and can get a hotel close to the parks and walk it is the best thing.

We were up early on the DL days and were in line first one day even. If you can get in and then you go to one ride that is popular such as Pirates and send your dh to get fastpass for splash then do Indy right after pirates and then as soon as you can get your next fast pass get one for space mountain. Then you just go on rides and stock up your fast passes and then we did the mid day break/nap and then hit the parks again after dinner. That way we were able to eat outside the park and save money and not deal with the crowds.

I can tell you even lunch on Friday was NUTS. Try to eat earlier than normal. Like 11 for lunch and 4 for dinner and on your second day at DL go to Fantasyland first and hit all those rides as that place is pretty crowded and has no fast passes.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :)

kelmac284 said:
We got chocolate coins with our check and for right now for every 30 bucks you spend you get a nightmare before christmas coin. We got 3!!

That just made my jaw drop btw. So jealous!!!! I'm a bit obsessed with Nightmare Before Christmas :)

kelmac284 said:

Oh my gosh, we are also so NBC obsessed...these coins were at Cafe Orleans? That is already on our itinerary, along with the French Market so we can get the Zero bowls!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

kelmac284 said:
A couple of points of interest to some. We had lunch at Cafe Orleans and you pretty much HAVE to have a PS before you go. I didn't realize you needed this but I was able to make one on Friday for lunch on Sunday and it was great!!
Sorry but what is PS that you needed before you went to cafe orleans?

TwingleMum said:
Thanks for sharing. I think it will probably be very crowded when I go the last week of March into first week of April. Do you think 8 days is enough??? We have never been to DL before (WDW many,many,many times) My 3 kids are young (under 6 ) so we will be taking it a little easier than most .
Hey TwingleMum, "Bonsai the park here." Tee Hee! Anywhos, I agree that you might not need 8 days, but I really think you should spend at least 4 days at DLR. That should allow enough time for all of the shows, parades and fireworks. And then with the rest of your time go to the beach or San Diego or Santa Barbara if you want to drive a little. Have you ever been to any of these places?? If not, please go!!!!!! Even being a native Californian, I still LOVE going to these areas. There is so much to see. I'm sure there will be others out there who have their favorite places to go, but I think all would agree to go to the beach. Anymore questions, please fire away. :tinker:

tirby said:

PS is priority seating. Call Disneyland and you can make advanced dining reservations up to 60 days in advance. The only places inside DL that you can do this are Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, and Carnation Cafe. You get a scheduled time (say 2pm) then check in a few minutes early. You get the next table ready for your party's size, you do usually have to wait, but it is the only way to get in. Also, if they allow walk-up parties, you get priority over them. Call 714-781-DINE (scary that I have it memorized).

I have a question about the photos. What do they cost online to buy and ship?

tirby said:

Priority seating. It is like a reservation. You call the Disney Dine number and you can make up to 60 days in advance I believe. I know it is different than DW. It is always recommended though to make for popular places like this. In DW it is a must but for Disneyland it hasn't been as big a deal but people are catching on so I am going to have to start making more before I go.

The days of just winging it are no longer the case. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter