Just Back - YC CL and WL CL

Mickey Fliers

DIS Veteran
Well, we have just returned from our magical vacation. We were at the YC concierge level from 11/7-11/10. The resort was beautiful and the christmas decorations were up. Our room was ready (2:00 pm) and all of my pre-purchase items were waiting for us. Alana did a great job. We had reserved a standard conceirge room and I was pleasantly surprised when we had a view of the wedding gazebo, not a parking lot. Unfortunately, we did not have a balcony. :(

The lounge was pretty good. All the standard fair. One night the only hot items they had were mussels, clams and clam chowder. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to shellfish. Good thing we hadn't planned on making the lounge dinner. :jester:

SAB is under some rehab. During our stay, Hurricane Hannah's was the closed section. Overall, the YC is beautiful, but I felt that it was much more suited to older, childless couples. Please, no flames. Don't get me wrong, there were certainly families with children, but it always seemed as if the lounge was filled with elderly couples. I probably would not stay here again with my boys (7,5 and 2). Maybe when I can go without the kiddos. :teeth: Although, we did get five towel animals our first night. Mousekeeping was great!!!

Next, off to WL. We were there 11/10-11/13. We checked in at 11:00 am and our room wasn't ready. We completed all our paper work, had a snack and then went out for the day. When we came back that afternoon our room was ready and we got bunk beds like we requested. The lounge was great. Don't flame me, but I kind of like the fact that there is no "lounge". I like sitting around and being able to see the lobby below.

Mousekeeping was good. No towel animals, though. ;) The christmas decorations magically appeared during our first night. Exciting to see what a little pixie dust can do. What a wonderful surprise to wake up to.

Overall, we had a great time. Wonderful CM's, good lounge fair and the resorts were beautiful.

For us, WL just seems like a better fit for our family. It was so warm and inviting. Next time I think we will try AKL.

Any questions, let me know.

A

I'm so glad you enjoyed the WL Concierge when we stayed there last May I loved to get a table and watch the the Lobby below I could have sat there for hours.

Originally posted by Mickey Fliers
For us, WL just seems like a better fit for our family. It was so warm and inviting.
Thanks for the report! You stayed at two beautiful resorts. WL is our favorite -- We love that warm and inviting feel to it!

we also enjoy watching the lobby from the WL CL.....
however, the food selection at the WL is nowhere near the variety available at the AKL.....the food selection there is amazing..

but our favorite concierge remains the RPC at the GF....the food isn't nearly as good as at the AKL, but we like the hotel and the CMs best at the GF....
not to say that the others are bad....it's just our preference....
but i'd be happy at any of them .....(but happiest at the GF RPC... :D )

Wow, we liked the food way better at WL concierge over AKL concierge. I liked the yogurt smoothies at AKL, but the dinner options at WL were awesome...portuguese bean soup, chicken fingers...incredible desserts (and plenty of them)...extremely nice staff. A CM saw my son remark about the gummy worms as we arrived, and a few minutes later, while unpacking, he came to our door w/ a cup full of worms for him! My son was so excited!!! We got towel animals and a MK castle view. It was wonderful!

At AKL, it was lovely but nothing special--at least not after the WL concierge experience. I'd return to WL concierge but not AKL's. We are trying BC concierge in a day or so (wooo hoo!) and now I'm trying to decide between a 2005 stay between BWI and GFs sugarloaf concierge...right now I'm leaning toward BWI!

I agree with the OP about YC. We stayed at YC years ago and am trying BC this year....just felt less kid friendly (my son was 2 then). This year, my son is thrilled about staying in the "Little Mermaid" resort! He loves Prince Eric :).

Thanks for your post. I find it really helpful to hear the good and not so good. I thought that all the YC rooms had balconies, it was just a matter of it being full or a stand up. You've prompted me to contact my pre-planner and make sure that a full balcony is on our list of requests. I had heard the same thing, that the YC seemed more geared towards older guests or guests without children and the BC more family orientated. My kids ages are spread out, so we'll see how it works for us. Were your pre-purchases already waiting in the room? I've arranged for some also, as well as sending a package of presents and a small Christmas tree down ahead of time. I thought they might wait until we're actually checked in before sending these things up.

The GF main building concierge also has a lounge that overlooks the lobby. I love that also.

Thanks,
Tammi

Any questions, let me know.

Did you notice if the music at WL lobby/pool area was playing?? I've read recent reports that the music wasn't playing and was hoping it would be playing again for when I arrive this Friday.

Time4disney- Yes, the music was playing outside at the pool area. It was playing Christmas music. It was very relaxing. That music was playing inside the lobby as well.

TammiMcMan - All of our pre-purchases were waiting in our room when we arrived. It was all arranged on the desk and our champagne was on the dresser. They also left my receipt in a small envelope. It was really great. I was bummed out about the balcony as well. But since I had only reserved a standard view, beggars can't be choosers. When I went outside, I could see why I didn't have a balcony. From our two windows, we could look down onto the wedding gazebo and to our left we could see the bay and Boardwalk. From the outside, our room was on a corner that had a "sloped roof". Does that make sense? I think our room number was 5163. It was two doors down from the Admiral Suite. I hope that helps.

Ladyhawke10 - My boys didn't seem to notice anything "amiss" at the YC. Don't get me wrong, everyone was perfectly friendly. It just didn't see overly kid friendly. When I spoke to other families at the pool or the arcade, most of them were staying at the BC.

I hope you all have a magical vacation.

So all rooms at the YC don't have balconies...? :confused:
I need to call and ask for one now...grr another thing I have to worry about...:mad:

Taurus- I wouldn't worry about the balcony thing. It seems as if most of the rooms have a balcony. There are probably only one or two that don't. I would just email IPO and have them put it in your request. I certainly wouldn't stress over it. At first I was dissappointed, but I didn't let it get me down for long. I was in Disneyworld .:sunny:

Just happened upon this thread and I was so surprised because we leave in 13 days for the YC concierge and the WL concierge. We've done concierge before and I'm just hooked. Last year we stayed at the BC concierge so I'm really looking forward to trying both YC and WL. Our sons are 10 and 14 so I wasn't to worried about the YC I was more worried about the lack of a lounge at WL. But everything I've read so far is positive and people really seem to like it. I'm sure we'll enjoy them both after all we are at Disney!

PL

Time4disney- Yes, the music was playing outside at the pool area. It was playing Christmas music. It was very relaxing. That music was playing inside the lobby as well.

Wahoo! Music is playing and the archway is fixed!!!! The weather is going to be beautiful next week while we are there. What else can I ask for????? We are prepared for big crowds so that won't upset us.........I believe we are ready to go!!!!!
:teeth:

Time4disney - Have a great trip. :p

sparp5 - I hope you have a wonderful trip, as well. I really enjoyed the open space of the CL at WL. Sitting at a table and looking down at the lobby was great, especially now with the christmas decorations up and the music playing. Very cool. You should enjoy it. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter