Just Back from SSR! Nov. 1-5 (long)

RealMickey

I Lurk the DIS
Just Back from SSR! Nov. 1-5 (long)

We just returned from a short 4 night stay in a SSR 1BR. The cast included just my DW and myself. We arrived and checked-in at about 6PM on Monday to a plethora of Welcome Home's. There was no line, so check-in took just a few moments. Room #2514 is a 1BR, first floor, non-smoking, partial Pleasure Island view, lock-off. The room was clean and in order, with no apparent problems.

The weather during our trip was beautiful and sunny, if not a little warm with highs in the mid to upper 80's. We did not use the pools, but they were many who did. I can foresee the pools being overwhelmed at SSR when all buildings are complete. We spent one day at the Magic Kingdom, one day at Sea World and our last day at Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk. Disney bus transportation was quick and efficient. SSR does not share buses with any other resorts.

Our home resort is BCV. I thought the themeing at SSR compared favorably with BCV. I really felt at home! I enjoyed quiet walks around the property, the landscaping and the views of Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. The fireworks at Pleasure Island could be seen from our room, and we saw some of the Illuminations fireworks from the lakeside walkway at SSR as well.

Contrary to the opinions I've read on these boards, I really liked Artist's Palette for dining. Yes the menu is limited, but the food was quite good and we enjoyed picking up prepared meals and taking them back to our room to eat. During our 4 night stay we had 2 dinners and one breakfast from Artist's Palette. I do agree that such a small dining establishment may become overwelmed when all phases of SSR are open. But I was surprised how few guest were using Artist's Palette at present. No Waiting!

A few problems cropped up with the room during the trip, but it was nothing we could not handle. While preparing to make tea in the coffee pot, I discovered that it still held the coffee grounds from the previous occupant. A little yucky, but a quick cleanup for us (that should have been caught by housekeeping). One afternoon when we returned the smoke detector alarms in the room were going off. We called Maintenance and they showed up in just a few minutes and replaced a faulty smoke detector in the lock-off studio next door that was the problem. On the morning we checked out the toilet was malfuctioning, and would not flush properly, again we called maintenance, but left before they arrived to fix it. None of these problems were too serious, and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just reporting what happened on our trip.

The last DVC pins went on sale on Friday. We were able to get both the Aladdin and the Mickey pins. It's funny, during our February trip we were at the resort the week they started selling the Jiminy, so we got Tink and Jiminy that week.

SSR and our vacation both get A+'s. Every DVC trip we take reinforces that buying into DVC was the best decision we have ever made.:wave:

We like Artist Palette, too. Not the typical burgers, chicken fingers, etc. We think it is a nice change of pace. I also enjoy the ambiance in that area, the lighting is beautiful. In particular we enjoyed the breakfast there.

Glad you enjoyed your stay at SSR. After two stays there, it is becoming a favorite of ours.

Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
We like Artist Palette, too. Not the typical burgers, chicken fingers, etc. We think it is a nice change of pace. I also enjoy the ambiance in that area, the lighting is beautiful. In particular we enjoyed the breakfast there.

Glad you enjoyed your stay at SSR. After two stays there, it is becoming a favorite of ours.

Have to totally agree. We found the food to be a welcome change from the standard fried food offered at many places. The art work, seating and lights were beautiful as you stated. We found the staff most willing to be helpful with dining and any questions regarding the menu.

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip. I am going to check out SSR next week on my mini-Trip. Thank you for posting!:)

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!!! Glad you had a good time!!!

Allison

Thank you for posting your trip report.

We are looking forward to our trip in December and all the "Welcome Homes" to come.:earsgirl:

Thanks for your report. We just returned from SSR on 10/30 and we too are now fans of artist palette. It was nice one night to just pick up a salad and flatbread for a light dinner. Both the Saratoga salad and roasted vegetable flatbread were really good!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a nice and complete trip report! I enjoyed reading it and I hope I get to visit SSR sometime soon:p

Lisa:sunny:

Thanks for posting your review! We enjoy reading about everyone's experiences!

::MickeyMo

Hi:wave2: , thanks for the great trip report. We also think artist`s Palette has great food. I`m suspecting that mabe the intent was that members would choose it for an alternative for lunch ( or another quick meal ), but we wish Disney would incorporate a nice sit down restaurant for those who might like to hang around thier "Home" some evenings (sans cooking, or going to DTD );) !

Glad you gave SSR a shot and enjoyed it!

BTW -- We like Artists Palette, too! Healthy portions and healthy choices. :teeth:

Thanks for the great trip report. Even though we just returned two weeks ago, the trip reports keep me going till our next visit home.

very nice report.

You were not complaining - your were saying the facts....

good for you for calling when things weren't fixed....

some people think that this is someone else job.

Hey it is your home - when someone goes wrong - you need to call to get it fixed.

GOOD JOB~~~

Real Mickey,

Were the Christmas decorations starting to go up yet at Saratoga Springs when you were there? I am excited to see how they choose to decorate this new resort. The check in lobby seems to have quite a lot of space and a high ceiling. Hope they do something spectacular for the inaugural holiday season. I'll get to see for myself the week after Thanksgiving!

Shan

QUOTE: "Were the Christmas decorations starting to go up yet at Saratoga Springs when you were there? I am excited to see how they choose to decorate this new resort. The check in lobby seems to have quite a lot of space and a high ceiling. Hope they do something spectacular for the inaugural holiday season. I'll get to see for myself the week after Thanksgiving!"

SaratogaShan, The xmas decor was not going up yet at SSR while we were there, but we did see some going up in various spots around WDW. I'm sure it will be up, by the time you arrive after Thanksgiving. Then you can share with us how they decorate the resort.:earsboy:

Originally posted by RealMickey
SaratogaShan, The xmas decor was not going up yet at SSR while we were there, but we did see some going up in various spots around WDW. I'm sure it will be up, by the time you arrive after Thanksgiving. Then you can share with us how they decorate the resort.:earsboy:
I can't wait to see some holiday pictures of SSR! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!