Just back from OKW and AKL!!

cyansmom

Mouseketeer
Aloha everyone!

First, I want to thank everyone for all of their insights and tips. It made our 15-day trip a truly wonderful one. My DH was so impressed by the planning of our trip and I told him it was because of DISBOARDS!!!!

Just a few thoughts about our trip...

1) we were able to stay at OKW for 7 days by renting through a DVC member. I was a little hesitant at first because of the cost and space, but I am so glad we did! We were able to stay in a beautiful 1 Bdrm suite. OKW is very spacious and I like the interior decor. We truly felt like we were at "home". We had a water view which was a joke because the trees blocked the view but my DH didn't complain. I loved the jacuzzi tub...a great way to unwind after a long day at the park. I was great to have a washer/dryer too. The bed was very comfortable and my DS said the sofa bed was comfortable too! I would definitely stay there again! I just wish their general store had a better selection of food items. It would have been nice to have some items in smaller quantities (ie butter, cheese etc). JMHO!

2) We ended our vacation by staying 3 nights at AKL. It was really beautiful! We had a great room (5419) savannah view but close to the elevators too. As soon as we entered our room, we saw 2 giraffes and 3 zebras! my DS's were so amazed. The feeling I had when I entered this resort was that it was so PEACEFUL! It was a nice way to end our hectic vacation. The room had bunkbeds a queen and a daybed. It was a little crowded for us (DH, DS15, DS12, DS6 and myself) but we were okay with it. I loved the decor and the tile in the bathroom! so beautiful!! There was a fridge...a small one but perfect for drinks. We did do concierge and DH loved the lounge. The food during breakfast and evenings were the best!!! the appetizers were awesome! I don't know if I would spend the money to do concierge again but I'm glad we did it this time. We did do the sunrise safari and that was great! Kinda pricey though for a family of 5. The breakfast buffet after the safari was good though. Everyone at the AKL was friendly and helpful. We did eat at Boma and the food is good...but everything had a sweetness to it. I'm glad I tried it though.

All in all it was a good trip...long and tiring but fun! If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Mahalo again to everyone for all your help! This trip was a success because of you!

cyansmom!

WOW cyansmom!! What a great trip you had!

OKW sounds really nice...

So glad you liked AKL. I've been twice (once concierge, once not) and am headed back to the Concierge level next month and then again in February! I LOVE it! I think it's great that you got to your room and immediately saw giraffes and zebras! Instant gratification:teeth: I think the Lounge is fabulous and sooo relaxing. I am curious, did you use the pre-planning services of the Concierge? Any Priority seatings, special gifts in the room, etc? That's one of my favorite aspects.

I think it's wonderful that your DH was impressed by your planning. That is terrific! And that's what these boards are all about!!

WOW - Hawaii! That's amazing::yes::
ALOHA :wave:

We did use the concierge services for PS at a couple of restaurants. That was great because it seemed that we were able to be seated faster with the PS through the concierge than when we did our own PS. I don't know if it does make a difference but it seemed that way to me.

Hope you have a great trip too johnsonet!

Cyansmom, your trip sounds just wonderful. didn't you love OKW? It's so relaxing and peaceful there. How far along was the slide construction, could you tell?
Your description of AKL got me excited for my Jan. visit -- I have boys, too, who will love the animals!
PS -- you live in one of our favorite places -- my husband and I visited a couple of times before our children were born (we live on the east coast) and want to return with them, so they can see it, some day.

Thank you for two of your comments! We are staying at OKW for the first time, and I was debating about doing the grocery stop on the way from the airport. Sounds like it may be a good idea to pick up a few staples.

And I'm glad the pullout couch is comfortable, since I'll be sleeping on it with DD! LOL! DS is an incredible squirmy sleeper, and I think he'd be better off with DH in the king sized bed!

One question - Did the resort supply enough laundry detergent for you? We travel very light, and since we'll be there in steamy August, I bet I'll throw in a load of wash each night. Should I pick some up on the way?

Originally posted by Harambe
And I'm glad the pullout couch is comfortable, since I'll be sleeping on it with DD! LOL! DS is an incredible squirmy sleeper, and I think he'd be better off with DH in the king sized bed!

One question - Did the resort supply enough laundry detergent for you? We travel very light, and since we'll be there in steamy August, I bet I'll throw in a load of wash each night. Should I pick some up on the way?
We have been DVC members at OKW for more than 12 years, so I can answer your questions.
The couch is comfortable. My DD slept on it in March.
For the laundry detergent question. When you check in, you will have a small box of powdered laundry detergent. I think it says it's one load, but you will have enough for several small loads. On Trash and Tidy day and on your cleaning day, they will bring another small box. They also sell small boxes in the general store.

Another question that comes up is soap for washing dishes (by hand and dishwasher). They do provide that and if you run out, just call Housekeeping and they will bring more.

Thanks, SueM in MN - I feel better knowing I can pick up some detergent at the general store. Didn't really want to lug a box down to OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter