Just back from CSR, 8 days of food reviews

newdisneymum

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, we are back from Disney :sad2: We stayed at CSR 7/21-7/28 here is my reviews for our dinners. We were on the dining plan and carefully picked where we were going to eat. There were 7 of us so i'll try to write what everyone had and liked/disliked. Our cast!
ME: 23 yr old, teacher
DD: My daughter, just turned 1. Loves tigger, ariel, and stitch
DGM: My mom, DD's grandma. Her first trip as a grandma, loved that fact very much
DGP: My dad, DD's grandpa. His first trip as a grandpa, him and DD are a team.
DB: My brother, 16 year old sophomore in high school
DB2: My brother, 25 year old who is getting his masters
DSiL: My sister-in-law, 22 year old getting her degree in art education

1st day:
Lunch at Pepper Market at CSR
Staff rating: 1 out of 10.
Details: I don't get what the staff does. I always saw them just standing around and talking to each other. I also didn't like the layout of the place. It seemed very cramped and messy.

ME: Sausage Pizza, m'm cookie, and milk (for DD, we bought mugs earlier)
Rating: 7 out of 10
Details: It was a huge pizza, i only had half of it. The crust was a little soggy and i didn't like how the dessert choices were very limited.

DGM: Spicy chicken in a peanut sauce (can't remember full name), chocolate filled crossiant and milk
Rating: 2 out of 10
Details: The chicken was in huge chucks with little to no taste the only thing saving the meal was the dessert

DGP: Chicken and beef combo (he forgot the name), m'm cookie and milk
Rating: 6 out of 10
Details: The meat was tough, in big pieces, and the food was just slopped on it. Very unattractive.

DB:Kung Bang Chicken, m'm cookie, and milk
Rating: 8 out of 10
Details: It was good and spicy (he likes it that way)

DB2: Cheese calzone, m'm cookie, and milk
Rating: 4 out of 10
Details: There was to much cheese it in so it oozed out to much and it was also was not very browned ontop

DSiL: Hamburgers and fries, m'm cookie, and milk
Rating: 5 out of 10
Details: It was a burger lol

Dinner at Crystal Palace
Overall rating: 7 out of 10.
Details: DD LOVED the mac n' cheese there, everyone pretty much loved the food exp it seemed to be limited in choice. Our server was very good and nice to DD. The characters were great too, i guess they could tell DD was a little scared of them. DD loves tigger but she freaked out when she saw him. I think the size of them scared her but she liked Winnie the Pooh.

I will write day 2 another time, DD is ready for dinner

Day 2:
Breakfast/Brunch
Princess Breakfast at Epcot
Rating: 9 out of 10
Details: When you walk in, they have you take a picture with Belle in her big gown. DD was really good with her, she gave her a hug and kiss and even sat with her by herself. I was happy because it turned out a good picture (they bring it around for you to buy which i did). When you first sit, you get to eat what i call "cold buffet". It has some different pastries, fruit, and cheeses. The fruit was really good and you could tell it was fresh. DGP loved the chocolate cheese. The "hot buffet" came next. It had sausages, bacon, eggs, and some kind of potato things that were so good. We are a big family (7 including DD) so we ran out of food pretty quick and it took a little time for them to bring more. Saying that though, the princesses came at that time so it all worked out. We were seated in the corner by a door so we thought it was a bad table. WRONG lol. It was the table the princesses came out of so we were first. The one thing i would say "bad" about the meal is that you are really close to each other so you feel a little cramped.

Lunch at Earl of Sandwich (we decided to just pay for this meal so we would have an extra meal latter)
ME: The Florentine, cole slaw, and diet soda and milk for DD
Details: It wasn't as good as i remember. When we went 1 and 1/2 ago i loved the coleslaw but they must have changed the recipe because now it was very plain and runny. The sandwhich was good but seemed sloppy. It wasn't busy at all, we actually got to sit in the resturant

DGM:Caribbean Jerk Chicken, coleslaw, and diet soda
Details: Same thing about the coleslaw.

DGP:The Original 1762 (Hot Sandwich) and coke
Details: It was good, just plain good. The bread got to wet so he had to take the bread off and just eat the meat

DB:Caribbean Jerk Chicken, fruit smoothie and orange soda
Details: Did not like the smoothie, it tasted like it was trying to be milk based.

DB2:Cannonballs! and coke
Details: It was good, better than Subway (his words not mine lol)

DSiL:The Scudetto, Chocolate Pudding, coke
Details: The sauce wasn't very good, last time there didn't seem to have so much sauce and wasn't a tomato based sauce. The pudding was good but was mostly whipped cream.

Overall: 6 out of 10. I think with the meals about Disney and the resorts becoming better, Earl of Sandwich has gone down.

Thanks for the reviews! I'm really enjoying them so far! What princesses did you see at Akershus?

disneyfav4ever- At the breakfast we saw, Belle when you first go in (you take a picture with her) then in order as they appeared; Aurora, Mary Poppins, Snow White, and Mulan.

Day 3:
We had an early dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern so we just ate some snacks at lunch that we got from La Tienda Convenience Store in the hotel. It was actually pretty fairly priced.
Liberty Tree Tavern
Details: This was another family styled buffet so everyone had the same thing; tossed mixed greens, served with strawberry vinaigrette dressing for a starter which was really good. I usually do not like vinaigrette style dressings because i think the oil/vinegar breaks a lot but it was nice. I personally thought it could have used more red onions. For the main course we had steak, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, mac 'n' cheese and green beans. Most of the meat was alright; the steak was probably the best. Everyone found the turkey to be really dry. The gravy was bad, it was really chunky and had a layer of fat that needed to be skimmed from the top. I was excited about the mac 'n' cheese because DD loved the one from Crystal Palace but it was a different kind so she didn't eat it. The dessert was an apple cobbler with ice cream that was really nice.
The characters- well some of them were really good with DD and others weren't. First Pluto came by and although DD was scared of him, he messed with everyone else at the table so that was fun. Minnie was next and she stayed only maybe 15 seconds. No playing around with her; she signed the book, took a picture, waved good-bye and that was it. That was upsetting because DD liked her but oh well, we had a better Minnie at Chef Mickey later in the trip. Chip and Dale came next and they were the best. They are DD's favorite characters we found out very quickly. She waved at them, blew kisses, ect. I think she liked that there faces were flat (she was scared of Pluto's nose). Lastly was Goofy and DD liked him but only because she watched with when he was with the other tables so she was a bit more comfortable with him.

Coming up next for reviews:
Mama Melrose :headache: (just a hint on that meal lol), Nine Dragons, Chef Mickey, Tea at Grand Floridian, Electric Umbrella Restaurant, Yakitori House, Cantina de San Angel, Yorkshire County Fish Shop, Sci-Fi, Pizzafari, Columbia Harbour House, Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, and 2 more meals at Pepper Market

Fantastic reviews thank you. Could you give me an idea of the cost of the photo package at Akershus? Thanks

I'm hooked to your review, because my DH and I will be eating at Mama Melrose's during our vacation and I would like to see your opinion about it.

lisaj- I believe the price for the photos were 32.99 before tax. They give you one large picture and then 4 other pictures (the 4 were around 4x6 with two of the same picture as the large and the other two different) My DB works at Walgreens as a photo person and he noticed all the pictures aren't the right size (they almost 4x6 but a little smaller, a little smaller than 8x10). This is so you can't go make copies at Walgreens.

Day 4:
Lunch at Yakitori House
Overall: The bathrooms were so nasty here and it's funny because we saw the lady cleaning them before we went in! It was pretty good though, it was better when we went 2 years ago.

ME:Shogun Combination, Ginger cake, and Diet Coke.
Details: The Shogun plate was okay, i thought the meat was super fatty though so i had to cut away a lot of fat (which is hard with plastic knives). The cake was soooo good though. I loved it!

DGM: Japanese Curry, Ginger cake, and Diet Coke.
Details: DGM normally doesn't like beef so the beef was so tender and nice, she didn't even notice it was in the curry. Also loved the Ginger cake.

DGP: Kaki-Age Udon, Ginger cake, and Sprite.
Details: DGP loved it, the noodles were so soft because it had been left to sit for awhile (he loved that fact because he hates when pasta/noddles still have a bite to them). Not a big fan of Ginger, but loved the cake.

DB: Shogun Combination, Chocolate cookie, and Sprite.
Details: Loves Japanese cooking so he loved it. His beef wasn't as fatty as mine so he didn't have to cut anything away. Happily the cookie was pretty big and good (it was an already packaged cookie).

DB2: Shogun Combination, Chocolate cookie, and Coke.
Rating: 3 out of 10
Details: Didn't like it at all, he didn't like the taste/texture of the chicken or beef. Liked the rice and cookie though.

DSiL: Kaki-Age Udon, Chocolate Cookie, and Coke.
Details: Didn't like it either, she thought the noodles were so soft and tasted weird. (Her and DB2 are really picky eaters and just like plain things like hamburgers so they didn't like the 'new' tastes)

Dinner at Mama Melrose
Rating: -6 out of 10
Overall: Horrible! I'll start at the beginning. We were seated a few minutes before our reservation, which was nice. We sat down and waited for our water. The waiter ran past a few times saying he would be right there but went to a table that was seated AFTER us to serve first! Well finally the waiter (Ronald, don't ever get him as your server!) came and explained the meal, fantasmic package, etc and took our drink orders. We were trying to figure what to eat so we didn't realize it had been almost 10 minutes since our drinks. The finally came and we ordered our meal and waited (theme of the meal-waiting). Our App came and all of us at the table needed drink refills, well the guy just walked past! And get this, he had to move our empty drinks to put the plate down. I was ready to say something to the manager but my mom told me to wait a few minutes. Well time pasted and we got out entrees, well some of us did (another complain, non of the plates came out at the same time. I was almost finished with my meal and 3 people at the table hadn't gotten theres yet). So i asked to see the manager. She came over and i calmly explained about no drinks, etc. Our sneaky waiter saw i was talking to the manager and came over and tried to say "Oh it was a communication problem" as if saying because we aren't from the US (originally from Scotland but been here in the states 20+years) so the manager told the waiter to get the drinks and let us talk in private. So i said again, not a communication problem but that he didn't pay attention to us. The manager was very apologetic and actually gave us fast passes to ToT (which was good because they were already finished the passes for the day). After talking to the manager, the waiter still ignored us so we just tried to ignore and enjoy what we could. Overall, the service was horrible and the food wasn't that good. We will not be going back there at all.

Me: Caesar Salad, Charred Butcher Tender Steak, Tiramisu, Diet Coke and Milk for DD
Details: The salad was okay but all the dressing was on the plate in the middle so no dressing was on the lettuce. The crostini were stall. For the steak, i asked for well done and it came medium rare. It was almost burnt, not charred but burnt at the ends of the steak. The polenta cake was super cold (the peppers in the cake were frozen), the asparagus weren't grilled but just fresh, and the gorgonzola butter split so gorgonzola was spotted with butter. The Tiramisu was soo good. It didn't make the meal worth all the trouble, but it helped.

DGM:Artisan Breads and Spreads, Wood-grilled Chicken, Tiramisu, and Diet Coke.
Details:Some of the breads were nice but the waiter never explained what was on the plate so it was kind of confusing. The chicken was nice, just that plain nice. One thing though, the chicken wasn't marinated in another so the chicken alone had no flavor. Loved the Tiramisu as well.

DGP:Artisan Breads and Spreads, Spicy Italian Sausage, Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake, and Sprite
Details: Same thoughts on bread but, his garlic wasn't fully roasted so it was very very garlic tasting. The Spicy Italian Sausage was ok, he said he had gotten better at World Market though. Thought the cake was just like a brownie with a chocolate kiss pushed down into the middle.

DB: Caesar Salad, Wood-grilled Shrimp, Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake, and Sprite.
Details: Same thing thought as me about the salad exp he had only 1 teaspoon of dressing. The wood-grilled shrimp was nice, it took the longest to serve for some reason. The pasta was overcooked and not enough sauce. He loved the cake but thought the chocolate was bitter tasting.

DB2: Bruschetta, Grilled Pepperoni Flatbread, Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake, and Coke.
Rating: -8 out of 10
Details: The tomatoes on the Bruschetta were over rip and sour tasting. There was so much oil ontop of the flatbread but that was not the biggest problem, the cheese on the Grilled Pepperoni Flatbread was off. Later that night DB was so sick from food poisoning. Was feeling sick from the flatbread so couldn't eat the cake.

DSiL:Artisan Breads and Spreads, Penne Alla Vodka, Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake, and Coke.
Details: Thought the spreads tasted funny, as if they were sitting around for to long. The Penne Alla Vodka had a lot of sauce without a lot of penne. The vodka wasn't cooked off properly so it very much tasted like vodka. Loves chocolate so loved the cake.

Sorry to hear about your waitor! Some people just shouldn't be working in the food industry. I'm glad the manager was very apologetic. We are still keeping our reservations at Mama Melroses so I will have to let you know how our time was there. As soon as I can figure out how to add the link ofour Pretrip report to my signature you'll be able to read all about it. :)

lisaj- I believe the price for the photos were 32.99 before tax. They give you one large picture and then 4 other pictures (the 4 were around 4x6 with two of the same picture as the large and the other two different) My DB works at Walgreens as a photo person and he noticed all the pictures aren't the right size (they almost 4x6 but a little smaller, a little smaller than 8x10). This is so you can't go make copies at Walgreens.

newdisneymumthanks so much for this, it really helps with the budgeting. I can put the $25 I saved from pre-purchasing the photpass CD towards buying another two sets of photos :goodvibes

Your reviews are fantastic, I like a good honest opinion, hey my Dad's a Yorkshireman, blunt is his middle name. :love:

Sorry to hear about MM...we did not like the food there either. Our toasted bread salad had 2 dinky croutons and hardly any dressing. The chicken parm was lukewarm and bland. The eggplant napoleon was cold and the bean ragu was not cooked...the beans were hard. We wont go back either

Day 5:

Lunch at Pizzafari
Overall: We ate around 11:30ish so it wasn't busy when we were leaving it became very busy and people were very happy our seats were freeing up. It was nice surroundings and fast service.

ME: Cheese Pizza, Minute Maid Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Cup, and Diet Coke
Details: I am not normally a pizza person but i loved the pizza here. The crust was nice and crunchy and not to much cheese or sauce. The only bad thing was that it wasn't cut all the way through so I had to rip it. The lemonade cup was huge, i didn't finish all of it. I was so nice to have a frozen treat on a hot day.

DGM: Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, Minute Maid Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Cup, and Diet Coke
Details: Toward the end, the sauce made the bread very wet and hard to pick up to eat. It was very big (mostly bread) and she couldn't finish all of it. Same thing happened with the lemonade, it was too big to finish.

DGP: Hot Italian Style Sandwich with Chips, Chocolate Cake, and Sprite
Details: Liked all the parts separate but, some of it didn't seem to blend together. He had to wipe off some of the pesto marinated tomatoes as it seemed to over power the sandwich. Once that was off, it was much better. The cake was good although it seemed to have a very thick layer of frosting in comparison to the cake.

DB:Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, Minute Maid Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Cup, and Sprite
Details: Liked the sandwich very much, he was hungry so the bread didn't have much time to soak up the sauce as it did for DGM. Tried to finish the lemonade cup but couldn't and just ended up with an ice headache.

DB2: Pepperoni Pizza, Minute Maid Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Cup, and Coke
Details: Wasn't impressed with the pepperoni pizza. There was to much sauce in the middle so it made the crust gooey. There were only 3 pepperoni on the pizza (i guess he wanted more). Only person to finish the lemonade cup but, only did so because we said he couldn't.

DSiL: Pepperoni Pizza, Chocolate Cake, and Coke
Details: Only ate half of the pizza because it was too cheesy for her stomach. Had 6 pepperoni on it so she was happy, DB2 wasn't lol. Loved the cake esp because there was so much frosting on it.

Dinner at Nine Dragons:
Overall: Best service out of any of the meals so far. The waitress was quick to refill sodas and make sure everything was great. Nine Dragons is somewhere we always go and we weren't disappointed this time either.

ME:Sha Cha Beef Skewers, Honey Sesame Chicken, Ginger Cake, and Diet Coke
Details: The beef skewers were great although hard to get off of the skewers. The chicken was good although it was mostly honey and less sesame. It couldn't finish it because it was too much honey for me. The Ginger cake was great, very much the same cake from Japan which i found odd but oh well.

DGM: Salad in a Vase, Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork, Chocolate Cake, and Diet Coke
Details: It was a salad in a vase, it was so weird to see. It was radish, carrots, asparagus, celery, romaine lettuce and fried noodle with a house dressing. The house dressing tasted like a spicy thousand islands. Loved the sweet and sour pork. It was a crisp outside with tender pork. I personally thought there was to much sauce on them but DGM liked it. The cake was good, it had a surprise of raspberry sauce on the bottom.

DGP: Pot Sticker, Sichuan Sea Treasures in Red Rice Sauce, Chocolate Cake, and Sprite
Details: Loved it all, although he wished you got more pot stickers. The sea treasure was good, although he didn't like the tofu part. Not a fan of raspberry so he didn't like it, he would have gotten the ginger cake if he had known there was raspberry with the chocolate cake.

DB: Scallion Fragrant Shrimp, Bang Bang Chicken, Chocolate Cake, and Sprite
Details: The shrimp was good, although he didn't notice the scallion fused part. The Bang Bang Chicken, which i hadn't seen on the menu before, was nice and spicy. Ate only the top part of the cake because he also doesn't like raspberry

DB2: Pot Sticker, Savory Beef in Spicy Broth, Chocolate Cake, and Coke
Details: Loved the pot sticker and the beef. Be warned, it is super spicy. He couldn't eat all of it because his mouth was on fire. The waitress did warn though, this is really spicy. This mouth was hurting so he didn't eat much of the cake.

DSiL: Shrimp and Pork Spring Roll, Stir-Fried Shrimp with Garden Vegetables, Chocolate Cake, and Coke
Details: Although she loved the spring roll, the stir-fried shrimp was a disappointment. The flavors didn't blend together and seemed to be a mess of flavors. Some of the shrimp was good perfectly but some weren't, they were tough and overcooked. Loved the cake.

Day 6:
Breakfast at Chef Mickey
Details: The food was great exp there was no milk out for the cereal, I had to 'steal' some of DD's for my cereal. The only complaint i have is the time it takes for the characters to come around. When we were seated, the waiter said it would take 45 minutes for the characters to come around. That was fine, so we got our food and within a few minutes Minnie and Pluto came around. I was so glad that this Minnie spent some time with DD. We tried to eat slowly to wait for the characters but after 30 minutes no one else had came. I asked the character wranglers how much longer, they said it would be soon so about 10 minutes later, Donald came followed by Mickey another 10 minutes later. By this time, DD was over this place and wanted to leave. It had been 50 minutes so i asked the people, explaining nicely that my DD was tired and ready to leave and how long it would take Goofy to come. It was going to be another 15 minutes! I explained that i didn't have time for that and they pulled Goofy aside and let us get the autograph and picture. The thing that bothered me, the wranglers said it takes 70 minutes for the characters to come around. That is not what the wait staff said, i think they need to get in sync with each other.

Afternoon Tea at Garden View Tea Room at the Grand Floridian
Details: DGM and I both had the Buckingham Palace tea. It was good and not badly priced. The staff was so nice to DD, she loved the attention. The only 'bad' thing i would say, the table for two was sooo small. There wasn't any room to put stuff on the table. Most of DD's snacks, etc had to be placed on the floor.

Dinner: (this is where people split up a little bit because some people weren't hungry yet)
Columbia Harbour House
DB: Fried Chicken Strips. Chocolate Cake, and Sprite
Details: He liked it but, it was only 3 chicken strips. He was expecting more out of an adult portion. The fries were a little greasy, like they had been refried.

DGM: Starboard Deck Sandwich, Chocolate Cake, and Diet Coke
Details: Loved the sandwich, it was too big to finish. The broccoli slaw was good but you could only taste broccoli and nothing else.

PepperMarket
ME: Taco Salad, m'm cookie, and Diet Coke
Details: The taco salad was pretty gross. I actually got sick once i started eating it. I think the black beans were off or something. I also wasn't use to have beans in my salad so that might have been it too. The cookie was good, the only reason it got a 2 out of 10

DGM/DB: Thai Curry, m'm cookie, and Sprite
Details: DB wanted to try the curry so DGM said they could share it. They both loved it exp DB thought there could have been more sauce on it. The veggies were dry and overdone.

DGP: Rib eye steak with grilled vegetables and french fries, m'm cookie, and Sprite
Details: The steak was great and cooked perfectly. DGP picked out the steak and watched the man cook it to make sure it was well done. The vegetables were greasy and cold. Not good at all. French fries were french fries. DD loved them.

DB2: Cheeseburger, cookie, and Coke
Details: It was a burger, not very hard to mess up. Only thing was the cheese wasn't melted all the way.

DSiL: Cheeseburger, cookie, and Coke
Details: Same thoughts as DB2 exp her lettuce was spoiled and had a brown bit in the middle

Coming up: Yorkshire County Fish Shop, Cantina de San Angel, Electric Umbrella Restaurant, Sci-Fi Diner, Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, and Pepper Market

Day 7:
Lunch (split up)
Yorkshire County Fish Shop
ME, DGM, DGP: Fish and Chips, Shortbread, Diet Coke/Sprite
Details: Some of the fish was cooked really good, other pieces were not fried enough so the dough was undercooked and falling off the fish. The chips were very dry and hard to eat.

Cantina de San Angel
DB: Cantina Nachos, churro, and Coke.
Details: Liked everything but the black beans. It had a little bit of heat which he liked as well. The churro was huge, another plus. The coke also was bigger than what we got at Fish Shop.

Electric Umbrella Restaurant
DB2: & DSiL: Cheeseburger, chocolate cookie and coke
Details: Can't really mess up a cheeseburger. The best thing though, free refills.

Dinner:
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Overall: 8 out of 10
Details: We love the Sci-Fi, it is one of our 'to do' every trip. This trip though, the menu was changed but still good. The server was great, always getting more soda without us having to ask.

Me: Spinach & Artichoke Dip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Vanilla Milkshake, Fanta
Details: The Spinach & Artichoke dip was great, although the chips are thin so you can't put much dip on them. The ribs, ehh they were okay. The coleslaw was horrible, you couldn't taste anything in them. I liked the milkshake although it was so thick i had to use a spoon, which was fine by me.

DGM: BLT Soup, BBQ Chicken Breast, Warm Apple & Pecan Crisp, Diet Coke
Details: Loved the soup, but the BBQ Chicken Breast wasn't very good. The cheese had a funny after taste to it. We had to go back to the hotel for DGM to lay down. The crisp was good although you couldn't taste the pecan's very much, which was good since DGM doesn't like pecan's that much (just didn't like anything else for dessert so picked the crisp and hoped for the best)

DGP: Spinach & Artichoke Dip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Hot Fudge Sundae, Sprite
Details: Same comment about the chips although he ended up with tons of chips left with no dip so he wants a bigger portion of dip. He liked his ribs, they looked different from mine. He didn't try the coleslaw as he didn't like them anyways. Loved the sundae although he thought there was a lot of chocolate and it didn't seem very hot to him.

DB: BLT Soup, BBQ Chicken Breast Sandwich, Chocolate Milkshake, Fanta
Details: Loved the soup and the chicken sandwich. His gouda tasted more fresh that DGM. One complaint, the bread seemed a little stale. Loved the milkshake, he waits the whole trip until we get the Sci-Fi milkshakes.

DB2: BLT Soup, BBQ Chicken Breast Sandwich, Hot Fudge Sundae, Coke
Details:

DSiL: Crispy Onion Rings, Shrimp Penne Pasta, Chocolate Milkshake, Coke
Details: The onion rings were good, very big and couldn't finish it all. The pasta wasn't that good. (I thought it was good but, she doesn't like capers or spinach). The milkshake, she actually got two. The waiter accidentally gave her vanilla so he just let her have that plus a chocolate one, which was nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter