Just back from 1st stay at OKW

monorailmom

DIS Veteran
We were at OKW from 11/8-11/12. We had a ded. 2br in bldg. 27. Here are my thoughts:

-this was the perfect building location!! First bus stop, and a really quick walk over to the Hospitality House and the pool. If I stayed here again, I would request this building!

-We loved the atmosphere. This resort reminded us of SSR because of the peace and quiet, and the golf courses surrounding some of the buildings, and the boat service to DD. (though we never got over there!) We did prefer the "Key West" feel to this resort over SSR's, and the music playing, etc.

-the giift shop was great, we loved the selection there.

- the Gurgling Suitcase was terrific also. Friendlly bartenders and fellow "residents"

-the pool area was awesome. My son never came out! He just kept using the water slide over and over.... plenty of chairs and tables available in the afternoon, too.

-the young staff who does the kids' programs...they were hilarious.

Now for the things I wish I liked better:

-oh my gosh, the Quick Service option! Really, the lack thereof. That one little window with very few choices, and NO indoor seating just doesn't work for us. Since we had this very special Nov. trip, it wasn't bad as the weather was wonderful. However, we usually travel in August....and we definitely don't want to eat outside then! It's either crazy hot or raining!!!! We ordered nachos twice..we got a plastic box of crumbs and a microwaved plastic cup of cheese. Really? Even refilling your mug was a problem: we are early risers, but couldn't get a cup of tea until at least 7:00am. SSR and BLT had many choices for tea and other beverages, so the choices at OKW seemed very sparse. (and lots of bees, though I know that's not really OKW's fault!) This really needs to be addressed, as I don't see how we could stay at OKW during our regular trip in August.

-I had called ahead of time about getting our AP's...and was told we could pre-purchase them and pick them up right at OKW without having to go to Guest Services at a park. Wrong. We did pre-purchase them, but when we arrived, and they printed them, they didn't print with our names on them. Apparently this "happens all the time" and we still had to go to Guest Serivces to straighten it out. Not tragic, obviously, but disappointing.

In a nutshell, all of us...even my teenage daughters ! (haha) loved this resort, but we had some real issues with the food and beverage options.

Overall, though...a magical trip. It was our kids' first time at MVMCP and all of our first time at Osbourne Lights. Really had a fabulous time!

Glad you liked our "home" resort . It is my favorite for most trips except those where it is just DH and I in a studio. Then I prefer to have a room with the sofa as well as the bed. I agree with your comments about the quick service option at OKW. It really could be better. I especially love it this time of year with the poinsettias along the walkway by the HH and the tropical music playing. Sure wish I had a Turtle Krawl about now. Our trip in 2 weeks is at BCV and AKL but will try to get over to OKW for a drink sometime along the way.

I am glad to hear that you liked it. We will be there in 10 days and it is our first time staying there. We are in the HH area so I hope we get a great location, maybe with a golf course view. We probably won't be having any QS meals there but are planning on eating at Olivia's. Did you try it? I can't wait!!!

Olivia's is great. I agree about the CS options however this is a dvc resort and a lot of people prob brought their own breakfast foods as we did

We didn't try Olivia's ...this was a 'quick' trip for us, only four nights. If this had been our traditional 8 night stay, we may have had time to try it. We actually do have Garden Grocer bring us our breakfast food, so we always eat that in our villa. But even though we have a kitchen, I'm on vacation. I'm not coming back to cook lunch or dinner! Lunch or an early dinner are frequently the times our family is looking for a quick service meal, and since we always come back to our resort for pool time in the afternoon, we really like that option at our resort. I don't want to sound pessimistic, however! We *really* enjoyed our stay.

Olivia's :love: is a real hidden gem and I made two ADR for April so I can have their delicious prime rib with Olivia's yummy potatoes again :woohoo:

Yes, you can. The choices were coffee, tea, iced tea, sodas or a sweetened pomegranate iced tea that was really good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter